Wrenching

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 07:33 PM
RE: Wrenching
Yes, I have tools.

Yes, I know what they are and what they're for.

Yes, I use them myself whenever I can do the job myself.

As the youngest of two girls in the house and a tomboy, yep. My dad was an electrician and a jack-of-all-trades. My uncle a stone mason, my neighbor a carpenter and the friends of my dad were all blue collar guys who did their own repairs. I had a lot of exposure to that.

I can work on cars, lay brick or stone, pour concrete, build fence, build a pole barn, wire a house, do plumbing, drive nearly any kind of truck/car/trailer, use a chainsaw, drill, table saw, wielder, grinder, solder iron ect... I can also castrate your calves and train your horses to drive a cart/wagon.

Did my first carburetor breakdown at 8, changed the fluids on our cars by 10 as well as change electrical outlets. In one of my many jobs, I worked for a while as an electrical systems builder to build airplane wire harness assemblies. I helped redesign the interior light assemblies on the 777, when the engineering design blueprint would not fit.

I'm no expert, I too am a jack-of-all-trades. I don't do auto stuff anymore because my SIL will do it but I do most of my home/yard fixes myself.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Heatheness's post
29-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Update. Finished the SL2...Got everything right the first time. It started right up. We're going to the DMV today and getting it street legal --- but I doubt we'll drive it much now as the roads got salted yesterday... Sad

It's too clean a car to drive on the crappy, sloppy roads in the winter....

I haven't decided which project is next -- the SC2 engine swap, or getting started on building a car dolly for towing the Saturns.... (they're so low to the ground, that most off the shelf car haulers will break the front end lower clip plastic trying to get them on the hauler.)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-12-2015, 09:10 AM
There was a time when I rebuilt a two stroke Yamaha 350 along side the highway in New Mexico, but since retiring and moving to a tropical island I have no tools past a hammer, battery operated drill/driver and a pair of hand screw drivers. SHipping of such things is very expensive. The van I drive now requires that the console be disassembled and the rider's seat be tilted back to put in a quart of oil, and to check the oil level one has to do the same to the driver's seat. I hope the engineer who designed that died a slow painful death. But since it takes all of that I pay the kid next door 20 pesos to pour in a quart of oil. 2 years ago back in Tenn I put in 4 brake pads for my brother who never got that far in mechanicking.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
29-12-2015, 09:24 AM
(29-12-2015 07:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Update. Finished the SL2...Got everything right the first time. It started right up. We're going to the DMV today and getting it street legal --- but I doubt we'll drive it much now as the roads got salted yesterday... Sad

I haven't decided which project is next -- the SC2 engine swap, or getting started on building a car dolly for towing the Saturns.... (they're so low to the ground, that most off the shelf car haulers will break the front end lower clip plastic trying to get them on the hauler.)
The new beetles are pretty low too, and have a cast aluminum oil pan. I put 1/4" aluminum skid plates on both of them, and both have some serious damage from rocks on the mountain passes we travel.
The wife got forced half off the road before I installed one on her car, and riding the edge totalled the plastic one.
30-12-2015, 07:51 AM
I'd have to wonder if you could get a steel pan.... A sheet metal pan can take a hit and simply dent....Cast aluminum is more prone to cracking...

Of course - I've had to replace oil pans on the Saturns... the exhaust pipe runs very close to one corner of the pan - and it tends to accelerate rust through on that one spot...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-12-2015, 08:00 AM
(29-12-2015 07:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Update. Finished the SL2...Got everything right the first time. It started right up. We're going to the DMV today and getting it street legal --- but I doubt we'll drive it much now as the roads got salted yesterday... Sad

I worked at a place that did a lot of RV work. I used to put towbars and lube pumps on a lot of Saturns to be towed behind motorhomes.
Every Saturn owner I ever talked to said they loved them.
30-12-2015, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2015 09:02 AM by onlinebiker.)
(30-12-2015 08:00 AM)pablo Wrote:  

I worked at a place that did a lot of RV work. I used to put towbars and lube pumps on a lot of Saturns to be towed behind motorhomes.
Every Saturn owner I ever talked to said they loved them.

Yeah - they do have a loyal following.....

To prove it -- try going on Craigslist and finding a 95 or 96 Saturn SC2 with a manual transmission.......

Nobody's selling..... They made 10 times as many SC2's as they did stationwagons -- and you find more wagons for sale.......

Anybody who has one, is keeping it -- or it's trashed....

30-12-2015, 09:49 AM
The aluminum skid plates are doing the job. They even stiffen the unibody up a bit Smile
30-12-2015, 11:00 AM
I used to set them up to be towed on their own wheels, automatic or manual trans in neutral so no oil pan damage from dolly.
30-12-2015, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2015 05:18 PM by Dark Light.)
I have a tool room - no shortage of wrenches, sockets, saws, files, this and that. I do virtually nothing on vehicles though, unless I feel like it and it's super-easy. Those paths don't come together too often. I do basic DIY stuff around the house, a bit of carpentry, and I build things. I always have a few projects going. Building a dump-wagon for my lawn mower was my large project last year. I used and old frame, but the rest I built, from the axle, to the hitch, etc. This year I became a home-owner so I have been doing lots of 'little stuff. Pulling wire, mounting tvs, fixing holes here and there, weatherstripping this and that, a patch here, a shelf there, drilling and installing a lock, door knobs, sanding, painting, staining, pressure watching, trimming... After all that, feels like I've got very little done. My biggest project this year have been building a small pantry, and 'finishing' and painting my wife laundry room. I spend at least an hour or two a day working on something. Very often it's more.