Wrestling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Wrestling
Any wrestling fans here? My situation is rather odd, as I'm a fan of the WWF during the attitude era, even though I didn't watch it at the time. I knew it was "fake", and therefore thought that it was stupid and silly. My exposure to wrestling began when my former roommate moved in, as he is a huge wrestling fan. He was watching RAW at the time (2004ish, I believe), and eventually I sat down and started watching it. I finally figured out why people generally found it entertaining, which is rather hard to explain. He kept telling me how much better it was back in the day, and convinced me to watch some of the old stuff. His friend had an extensive collection of DVDs where he'd burned most of the weekly episodes of WWF RAW and WCW Nitro. I ended up watching all of that stuff, the good and the bad. I also got addicted to playing the Smackdown vs Raw games, and the two of us ended up creating a couple interesting tag teams that we continued to use in every version of the game for several years. Anyways, just wondering if there were any other fans here. If so, who were your favorite wrestlers?

Oh, and the WWE nowadays is fucking terrible, if you're a wrestling fan. This is not debatable. Wrestling is pretty much dead as a form of entertainment anymore. I would say that the corpse of wrestling finally drew its last breath sometime around when Shawn Michaels retired.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2016, 12:06 PM
RE: Wrestling
Kane, in his prime, is my favorite wrestler. Even the Undertaker looked like a weakling next to him. Definitely didn't do many fancy maneuvers or anything, and he's been involved in countless stupid storylines, but he was still my favorite monster wrestler. Even before I was a fan, I thought he looked awesome. Can't believe he's still wrestling at his age and size.

[Image: WrestleMania_14_-_Undertaker_Vs_Kane_01.jpg]
21-04-2016, 12:14 PM
It was fun to have wrestling centered parties back in my barracks days. When I was going to school in Pensacola from '97 to '99, and we were all broke as shit, we'd get like 20 people going in on a WCW pay per view event all crammed into a barracks lobby. Then after it was over, all hyped up from the event, we'd run over to the marine barracks (if they didn't come to ours first), find some fellow wrestling fans, and start beating the shit out of each other. Half the time someone would get some pepper spray into the mix. Good times.

'Murican Canadian
21-04-2016, 02:30 PM
(21-04-2016 11:58 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Any wrestling fans here? My situation is rather odd, as I'm a fan of the WWF during the attitude era, even though I didn't watch it at the time. I knew it was "fake", and therefore thought that it was stupid and silly. My exposure to wrestling began when my former roommate moved in, as he is a huge wrestling fan. He was watching RAW at the time (2004ish, I believe), and eventually I sat down and started watching it. I finally figured out why people generally found it entertaining, which is rather hard to explain. He kept telling me how much better it was back in the day, and convinced me to watch some of the old stuff. His friend had an extensive collection of DVDs where he'd burned most of the weekly episodes of WWF RAW and WCW Nitro. I ended up watching all of that stuff, the good and the bad. I also got addicted to playing the Smackdown vs Raw games, and the two of us ended up creating a couple interesting tag teams that we continued to use in every version of the game for several years. Anyways, just wondering if there were any other fans here. If so, who were your favorite wrestlers?

Oh, and the WWE nowadays is fucking terrible, if you're a wrestling fan. This is not debatable. Wrestling is pretty much dead as a form of entertainment anymore. I would say that the corpse of wrestling finally drew its last breath sometime around when Shawn Michaels retired.

I guess I have to.

Me and Revenant are "old" and "new" breed, Cornette adoring 'rasslin fans. Rev saw the stuff from the 80's up to the end of the Attitude Era, and I saw the crap between up untill 2014 when I coaxed Rev back into watching Vinny Mac's steriod filled showbiz.

We recently watched Wrestlemania 32, which was a godawful piece of crap that I took the time to recap: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...mania-ever

If you want my honest opinon, stay away from WWE and watch ROH, Lucha Underground or NXT, which HHH runs. If you have to watch mainstay WWE at all; only watch one of the big four PPV's: Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series; it's the only time something of significance happens. Watch The Mark Remark, or Wrestle Wrestle! to catch up with the pointless nothingness in the other "PPV's" that happen between them (unless Kevin Owens has a really good match with someone).

I could speak about this for pages after pages, but I think it's enough that I endlessly spam Rev about how much crazy Vince is and how much I hate Sheamus.

And for the love of god: DON'T. WATCH. TNA.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
21-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Used to watch it with my father when I was younger. He divorced my mother and left so whenever I got to spend time with him we would watch it. Still kind of keep up with the main program now and days but really only watch NXT. NXT is so good.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
21-04-2016, 02:53 PM
(21-04-2016 02:30 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 11:58 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Any wrestling fans here? My situation is rather odd, as I'm a fan of the WWF during the attitude era, even though I didn't watch it at the time. I knew it was "fake", and therefore thought that it was stupid and silly. My exposure to wrestling began when my former roommate moved in, as he is a huge wrestling fan. He was watching RAW at the time (2004ish, I believe), and eventually I sat down and started watching it. I finally figured out why people generally found it entertaining, which is rather hard to explain. He kept telling me how much better it was back in the day, and convinced me to watch some of the old stuff. His friend had an extensive collection of DVDs where he'd burned most of the weekly episodes of WWF RAW and WCW Nitro. I ended up watching all of that stuff, the good and the bad. I also got addicted to playing the Smackdown vs Raw games, and the two of us ended up creating a couple interesting tag teams that we continued to use in every version of the game for several years. Anyways, just wondering if there were any other fans here. If so, who were your favorite wrestlers?

I guess I have to.

Me and Revenant are "old" and "new" breed, Cornette adoring 'rasslin fans. Rev saw the stuff from the 80's up to the end of the Attitude Era, and I saw the crap between up untill 2014 when I coaxed Rev back into watching Vinny Mac's steriod filled showbiz.

We recently watched Wrestlemania 32, which was a godawful piece of crap that I took the time to recap: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...mania-ever

If you want my honest opinon, stay away from WWE and watch ROH, Lucha Underground or NXT, which HHH runs. If you have to watch mainstay WWE at all; only watch one of the big four PPV's: Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, SummerSlam and Survivor Series; it's the only time something of significance happens. Watch The Mark Remark, or Wrestle Wrestle! to catch up with the pointless nothingness in the other "PPV's" that happen between them (unless Kevin Owens has a really good match with someone).

I could speak about this for pages after pages, but I think it's enough that I endlessly spam Rev about how much crazy Vince is and how much I hate Sheamus.

And for the love of god: DON'T. WATCH. TNA.

If you want to watch good old school wrestling NXT is your best bet, it has the production values of the WWE (as it is owned by them and is a developmental territory for them) but is independent of Vince and his clown car of bookers or as they call themselves writer's that right there shows you the problem with Vince's product. As Jim Cornette would say the guys in New York (aka WWE Creative) wouldn't know a wrestling angle from a hole in the ground.

The Talent in WWE right now is as good or better than it was during the Attitude Era but the Scripting is stuck in a rut from 20 years ago. I will give them some small credit since WM32 Raw has gotten much more watchable with some notable call ups such as Sami Zayn (El Generico in RoH and Elsewhere), Kevin "Fight Owens Fight" Owens (Kevin Steen) granted Kevin has been on the main Raw roster for 6 months he is by far the #1 heel in the company, Enzo Amore and Big Cass (NXT talent and beyond charismatic) Here watch this clip of their debut (it was the biggest highlight of the Raw after Mania)

Also brought up were Baron Corbin (Big Mean tough NXT bruiser) and the tag team of Simon Gotch and Aiden English "the Vaudevillians" all of whom are getting big pushes due to Paul Levesque aka Triple H.

As bad as WWE has been in booking NXT has hit it out of the park on a consistent basis. But beyond the storytelling NXT lets their guys go out and tell a story in the ring. If you like physical matches and just the art of telling a story without words I will close with this Sami Zayn vs Sinsuke Nakamure at NXT Takeover. There was no feud no story other than it was to be Sami's final NXT match before permanently going to the main roster. This is the second best match I have ever seen and it is a close second to the greatest of all time Ric Flair vs Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat best 2 out of 3 falls for the NWA World Heavyweight title.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-04-2016, 02:57 PM
The first time I saw WWF, I thought it was stupid, them stamping the ground everytime they threw a punch.

Fake and stupid.

But over time I started to like a few characters.
Jake the Snake
Brett the hitman heart
Macho man.
Ultimate Warrior.

Certainly thought Brett Vs Mr Perfect was an entertaining competition.

But I was never a regular watcher. Now days it is hardly ever a "wrestling" match. Always cheating, with chairs and base ball bat and what not. I think it just ruins it somewhat, I want to see a decent and fair match.

But ultimately it isn't even a match, its play acting crap.
I prefer boxing. More real drama, more training, more skill, more determination, heart, courage etc. It's the real deal.
21-04-2016, 03:02 PM
(21-04-2016 02:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Brett the hitman heart

Bret the Hitman Hart

Couldn't resist.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
21-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Wrestling. Such a manly sport. Invented by the Greeks. Who did it naked.

Mmmmm hmmmmmm.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-04-2016, 04:22 PM
(21-04-2016 04:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Wrestling. Such a manly sport. Invented by the Greeks. Who did it naked.

Mmmmm hmmmmmm.............

I like both traditional wrestling and pro wrestling for different reasons.

Pro wrestling is like a man's soap opera.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post