Wrinkles & Grey Hair Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 11:22 AM
RE: Wrinkles & Grey Hair Thread
I think the hardest part of getting older, at least for me, is that I still want to continue doing all the physical stuff I’ve always done but sometimes when I try my body says, “Wait a fucking minute there partner, you didn’t consult me first.” Undecided

Anyway, I’m going to go to the grave kicking and screaming. I still workout regularly and I’m constantly SCUBA diving somewhere.

I can’t run anymore because my knees can’t take the pounding, I have to be very careful not to make weird motions or lift things when I’m off balance because undoubtedly I’ll pull a muscle or tweak a tendon. As many of you will attest the recovery time is lenghtening exponentially as years go by.

Anyway, my wife tells me that she likes my whitening beard and I pretend to believe her. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2016, 01:27 PM
(15-04-2016 11:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think the hardest part of getting older, at least for me, is that I still want to continue doing all the physical stuff I’ve always done but sometimes when I try my body says, “Wait a fucking minute there partner, you didn’t consult me first.” Undecided

Anyway, I’m going to go to the grave kicking and screaming. I still workout regularly and I’m constantly SCUBA diving somewhere.

I can’t run anymore because my knees can’t take the pounding, I have to be very careful not to make weird motions or lift things when I’m off balance because undoubtedly I’ll pull a muscle or tweak a tendon. As many of you will attest the recovery time is lenghtening exponentially as years go by.

Anyway, my wife tells me that she likes my whitening beard and I pretend to believe her. Big Grin

Yep, when the body doesn't like what you like anymore, that's the hard part to swallow.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Found on FB, probably a made up story but I liked the ending so here it is.

"Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

We don’t like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Yes Especially from a smartass who can’t make change without the cash register telling them how much."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
17-04-2016, 11:28 AM
I like the grey that's been showing up in my beard lately. Not so much when it comes to the wrinkles which seem to be performing a hostile takeover of my face. I have laugh lines you could hide a dollar bill in.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
17-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I had my birthday day out yesterday. I went with a friend: shopping, dinner at a Japanese grill (shrimp/filet mignon) and to the movies (he gave me the senior discount even though he knew I didn't qualify). It was a good day and I didn't feel any older for it. Big Grin

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
17-04-2016, 04:22 PM
(17-04-2016 11:28 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I like the grey that's been showing up in my beard lately. Not so much when it comes to the wrinkles which seem to be performing a hostile takeover of my face. I have laugh lines you could hide a dollar bill in.

Laugh lines say a hell of a lot of good about a person, I reckon.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-04-2016, 04:21 PM
Well - I think I took my first official step in being old yesterday. I was hoeing my yard for planting some grass seed. The corner of it is very rocky and compact, and then it happened. I hurt my back - but I was almost done, so I decided to tough it out. 5 minutes later I was hunched over and writhing. The pain was damn near unbearable. I couldn't even walk without help. My lovely wife helped me get inside, ran me a scorching hot bath (and helped me get into it), feed me ibuprofen, rum and coke, and massaged me. I literally had tears rolling out off my checks, awful pain. One day later, a few hot baths, more ibuprofen and I'm still sore, but feeling much better. Taking it easy for a few days.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
22-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Being "forever young" is what photographs of dead people are for............

Real people, who live - end up getting gray and wrinkled.

And unless your ego and your vanity is stronger than your desire to see another sunrise --- getting gray and wrinkled is your reward.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-04-2016, 04:50 PM
(22-04-2016 04:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well - I think I took my first official step in being old yesterday. I was hoeing my yard for planting some grass seed. The corner of it is very rocky and compact, and then it happened. I hurt my back - but I was almost done, so I decided to tough it out. 5 minutes later I was hunched over and writhing. The pain was damn near unbearable. I couldn't even walk without help. My lovely wife helped me get inside, ran me a scorching hot bath (and helped me get into it), feed me ibuprofen, rum and coke, and massaged me. I literally had tears rolling out off my checks, awful pain. One day later, a few hot baths, more ibuprofen and I'm still sore, but feeling much better. Taking it easy for a few days.

Awww. that sucks big time. Glad you are feeling better now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-04-2016, 05:00 PM
(22-04-2016 04:48 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Being "forever young" is what photographs of dead people are for............

Real people, who live - end up getting gray and wrinkled.

And unless your ego and your vanity is stronger than your desire to see another sunrise --- getting gray and wrinkled is your reward.........

I think I'll adore a little for those words. HeartHeartHeart

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]