Writing a H:FY story... need some help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 01:00 AM
RE: Writing a H:FY story... need some help.
Earth-man/Earth-woman/Earth-person ?

Can be said with appropriate disdain as in "You presume too much, Earthman"... or even be a title "The Representative of Earth, Earthwoman Lee".

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Assuming that English will not be the dominant language in the future?

Shìrén - 'Earthing' in Mandarin (Chinese)

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-04-2015, 03:40 AM
(14-04-2015 03:31 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Assuming that English will not be the dominant language in the future?

Shìrén - 'Earthing' in Mandarin (Chinese)

No man, hobbits come from the Shire...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-04-2015, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 04:38 AM by Alex K.)
So the problem I have here: are you asking us to provide the English translation of what other races would say? As in, what would the star trek auto translator spew out when they utter it? I'm still unclear about your philosophy regarding that.

The only idea I have to circumvent the language/cultural barrier, one that even seems very plausible to me, is that they might use an onomatopoeic name, i.e. imagine that they, upon first encountering us, would describe us by one of the typical sounds we make. It would only require that they somehow perceive vibrations in that frequency range (or if not, might transpose the acoustics into their range). One proposal for a name would be "Hahaha".

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
14-04-2015, 05:19 AM
(14-04-2015 04:30 AM)Alex K Wrote:  So the problem I have here: are you asking us to provide the English translation of what other races would say? As in, what would the star trek auto translator spew out when they utter it? I'm still unclear about your philosophy regarding that.

The only idea I have to circumvent the language/cultural barrier, one that even seems very plausible to me, is that they might use an onomatopoeic name, i.e. imagine that they, upon first encountering us, would describe us by one of the typical sounds we make. It would only require that they somehow perceive vibrations in that frequency range (or if not, might transpose the acoustics into their range). One proposal for a name would be "Hahaha".

I dunno... "Zomg Ow WTF?" isn't a very flattering name for a species...

14-04-2015, 05:59 AM
(14-04-2015 05:19 AM)morondog Wrote:  I dunno... "Zomg Ow WTF?" isn't a very flattering name for a species...

You mean if aliens land and the first thing they find are a bunch of valley girls? Big Grin
Let's hope we're not that unlucky.

Still better than Ford Prefect though...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
14-04-2015, 06:03 AM
Go for comedy.....

Assume that some words in an alien language sound a bit like English words(or other earth languages)...

"Twats" might be nice....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Houstonians/Citizens of Planet Houston
[Image: Zoddy_400x400.jpg]

I am very dissapointed nobody mentioned this before me...

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
14-04-2015, 07:44 AM
The Chosen Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-04-2015, 08:19 AM
more likely: Tasty meat popsicles