Writing a speech?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Writing a speech?
I'm terrible at this. I had to give the best man toast at my friend's wedding recently and waited until the last minute to write it (Like midnight the night before, after drinking too much) because I don't actually know him that well.

I'm in the same boat now. I'm involved with the Center for Inquiry and was asked to give a speech at their solstice event next week as a board member. I haven't really been in this group that long and don't know what to say. They're interested in my perspective as a young female because a lot of the group, especially the longer-standing members, are mostly older white dudes.

But how do I tie my age or gender to my love of science and secular values? They seem completely separate to me. I don't want to wait any longer to write this but I have zero ideas. Any thoughts?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2016, 02:05 PM
RE: Writing a speech?
Oops, I meant to post this in the general Support forum and not in the RFR forum. Blush

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
13-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Hope for the future?

#sigh
13-12-2016, 02:07 PM
(13-12-2016 02:05 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  Oops, I meant to post this in the general Support forum and not in the RFR forum. Blush

It's a sign from God.

#sigh
13-12-2016, 05:46 PM
(13-12-2016 02:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's a sign from God.

I've been getting those a lot lately.

13-12-2016, 05:53 PM
I would just write what comes to you, leave gender out of it.

It's automatically a science/secular speech from a female perspective because you are female Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
13-12-2016, 08:42 PM
It might help for you to start out doing something that feels almost like fun, such as writing down words that reflect your love of science and philosophy, and maybe even female and young adult on a big piece of paper, drawing circles or squares around them, and then making a free-association flow chart thing where you just keep adding words or phrases that pop up, see what connections pop into your mind. At the end write a couple of phrases or points based on what seems most interesting, then go away and do something else and start writing later.

If that's not your thing, one way I might try to connect is to consider how being young and presumably facing a long future, science and secularism seem especially important because save-the-planet, etc., and for female, maybe talk to some of your older female relatives if you want to give some kind of historical perspective on how it was easier (or not) for you to pursue your scientific interests.

I agree with previous posters that whatever you say will reflect your generation and gender, so I wouldn't worry too hard about explicitly connecting to them if you don't feel it's organic to the speech.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
13-12-2016, 09:13 PM
(13-12-2016 08:42 PM)julep Wrote:  It might help for you to start out doing something that feels almost like fun, such as writing down words that reflect your love of science and philosophy, and maybe even female and young adult on a big piece of paper, drawing circles or squares around them, and then making a free-association flow chart thing where you just keep adding words or phrases that pop up, see what connections pop into your mind. At the end write a couple of phrases or points based on what seems most interesting, then go away and do something else and start writing later.

If that's not your thing, one way I might try to connect is to consider how being young and presumably facing a long future, science and secularism seem especially important because save-the-planet, etc., and for female, maybe talk to some of your older female relatives if you want to give some kind of historical perspective on how it was easier (or not) for you to pursue your scientific interests.

I agree with previous posters that whatever you say will reflect your generation and gender, so I wouldn't worry too hard about explicitly connecting to them if you don't feel it's organic to the speech.

That's very helpful, julep. Thanks! Thumbsup

13-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Just remember what Hemingway said: the first draft is always shit.
But it's important to get SOMETHING down, anything really.
Then work on it, leave it aside to let your subconscious work on it, then go back to it, work on it some more.
Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.

And especially with a speech, read it out loud to hear how it sounds: you can avoid plenty of mistakes that way.
Also: keep it simple, clear and short; your audience will thank you.
To ballpark it, 100 words is about 1 minute's worth.

Once you're happy with your speech, practice, practice and practice.
When you're no longer worried about what you're saying, you can focus on how you're saying it.
Far from making you sound rehearsed, with enough practice you will feel and sound poised and confident.

Good luck!

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
29-12-2016, 09:57 PM
I ended up missing the event due to the work schedule at my new job. :-(

Hopefully I can find this thread next time I have the opportunity to use this info.