Writing ideas for topics related to Atheist vs Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Writing ideas for topics related to Atheist vs Theist
I have a few ideas for some topics I would like to write about and want to get some ideas/feedback. I am looking primarily for what you think could improve it, what additional related information should be included within each topic, and what related topics might also be interesting to write about as well. I don't really know that I have any sort of plan about what to do with the writing, I'll probably just end up posting the topics here or something.

Topic list:
Don't call it faith, don't call it religion (theists trying to call science and/or atheism a religion and/or faith-based)
Science vs the Religious idea of science (discussion of what subjects are considered science by secular standards, vs the attempts to discredit certain scientific fields and label them as "non-science." Such as attempts to label geology as a non-science since it isn't a "laboratory science.")
The Critical Flaws of Intelligent Design (1. necessary to show a possible designer before concluding design, 2. necessary to show how the "evidence" of design logically connects to the designer)
The Observer's Dilemma (people often fail to recognize that the existence of their consciousness confounds their interpretations of consciousness existing external to their own brain. For instance, people point to patterns in nature and conclude that intelligence must exist for such a pattern to exist when it is really that consciousness must exist in order to RECOGNIZE it. Meaning that they have partially correctly concluded that a conscious intelligence exists, but don't realize it is their own consciousness)
Nature vs the Imagination (When humans posit things like the multiverse, I think they make a critical error in interpretation. I don't think it is possible for the multiverse to exist and instead, I think it is telling us something about how our observations are limited within this universe. What I mean is that there are an infinite set of future possibilities and when trying to imagine them, or retroactively imagine the past, we make an error in saying that the multiverse idea means that those alternative realities actually exist. Instead I think it is telling us how this universe might be different when different scenarios change. The basics of the "Butterfly Effect" I guess? But taking it a step further, that also means that only things that are possible in this universe are possible in these alternate possible realities. So while it is possible that I might not have been born in an alternate view of reality, it isn't possible for me to have been born a wizard)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-02-2017, 08:47 AM
RE: Writing ideas for topics related to Atheist vs Theist
Also, I will gladly accept suggestions for reading material associated with the above topics too. Feel free to let me know who else has written about any of the above subjects. I know that these are not new topics

-Rick
16-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Re: The Critical Flaws of Intelligent Design

It would probably be useful to show as clear as possible how evolution is not intelligent and does not have any purpose other than simple adaptation.

Such as the evolution of the whale, how it's ancestors evolved from an animal in the water to Pakicetus and back to the water. No direction or purpose other than it being better suited to survive in it's environment.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
16-02-2017, 08:56 AM
(16-02-2017 08:53 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Re: The Critical Flaws of Intelligent Design

It would probably be useful to show as clear as possible how evolution is not intelligent and does not have any purpose other than simple adaptation.

Such as the evolution of the whale, how it's ancestors evolved from an animal in the water to Pakicetus and back to the water. No direction or purpose other than it being better suited to survive in it's environment.

Thanks, you reminded me about a book I have been meaning to get
https://www.amazon.com/Cetacean-Paleobio...words=uhen

-Rick
16-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Science vs the Religious idea of science

I'd like to see you write about this. Maybe with some discussion of ways that we rely technologically on our knowledge of the universe in ways that contradict the biblical narratives that some religious people take very literally. For example- our knowledge of radiation and the half-life of certain elements is critical in our use of nuclear technology- especially nuclear power- on which many people, including the same religious people who reject other aspects of that knowledge such as methods radioactive dating, rely on a daily basis. Maybe that's wildly off-topic or even incorrectly understood on my part that it conflicts with those ideas. But I'm genuinely interested to know.

Also, are there any other (or if I'm wrong, any at all) technologies on which our correct understanding of the underlying mechanics conflicts with literal biblical narratives or religious views- and that these same people who reject that understanding, also use on a daily basis?

Sorry for my run-on sentences. I couldn't think of better ways to phrase my questions.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-02-2017, 09:28 AM
(16-02-2017 09:11 AM)Emma Wrote:  Science vs the Religious idea of science

I'd like to see you write about this. Maybe with some discussion of ways that we rely technologically on our knowledge of the universe in ways that contradict the biblical narratives that some religious people take very literally. For example- our knowledge of radiation and the half-life of certain elements is critical in our use of nuclear technology- especially nuclear power- on which many people, including the same religious people who reject other aspects of that knowledge such as methods radioactive dating, rely on a daily basis. Maybe that's wildly off-topic or even incorrectly understood on my part that it conflicts with those ideas. But I'm genuinely interested to know.

Also, are there any other (or if I'm wrong, any at all) technologies on which our correct understanding of the underlying mechanics conflicts with literal biblical narratives or religious views- and that these same people who reject that understanding, also use on a daily basis?

Sorry for my run-on sentences. I couldn't think of better ways to phrase my questions.

These are good related topics and ideas to consider, thanks.

"Also, are there any other (or if I'm wrong, any at all) technologies on which our correct understanding of the underlying mechanics conflicts with literal biblical narratives or religious views- and that these same people who reject that understanding, also use on a daily basis?"

Oil, gas, and coal formation would be a specific one
But in a more general sense, science operates under a Uniformitarian assumption that the universe behaves the same today as it did yesterday and will behave the same way tomorrow too. So when people reject scientific ideas because they believe a deity can interrupt these natural processes, they are saying that the universe doesn't work in a uniformitarian way. And that would mean that science as a whole would be unreliable because all observations and conclusions would be subject to changing on a whim because of their proposed supernatural actor.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-02-2017, 09:46 AM
(16-02-2017 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The Critical Flaws of Intelligent Design (1. necessary to show a possible designer before concluding design, 2. necessary to show how the "evidence" of design logically connects to the designer)

Necessary to show why a designer is needed. What explanatory power does introducing a designer have? Occam raze that shit.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2017, 09:49 AM
(16-02-2017 09:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The Critical Flaws of Intelligent Design (1. necessary to show a possible designer before concluding design, 2. necessary to show how the "evidence" of design logically connects to the designer)

Necessary to show why a designer is needed. What explanatory power does introducing a designer have? Occam raze that shit.

What I mean is that in order to conclude intelligent design, it is necessary to show that a designer is even possible to exist. You can't link a cause to an action if the cause is impossible.

-Rick
16-02-2017, 09:50 AM
(16-02-2017 09:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 09:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Necessary to show why a designer is needed. What explanatory power does introducing a designer have? Occam raze that shit.

What I mean is that in order to conclude intelligent design, it is necessary to show that a designer is even possible to exist. You can't link a cause to an action if the cause is impossible.

I'm saying that question is premature. First tell me why I need a designer at all. What difference would it make?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2017, 09:54 AM
(16-02-2017 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ...
Don't call it faith, don't call it religion (theists trying to call science and/or atheism a religion and/or faith-based)

For this, you'll probably have to delve into epistemology and explain the difference between the two (Science and Religion) in terms of both methods and objectives.

What I'm seeing a lot of, even from the non-formal-religion spiritual folk, is a confusion between 'truth' (and Truth™), 'wisdom' and 'reality'.

In terms of objectives, science focuses on reality, philosophy focuses on propositions being true or false and religion may actually provide wisdom (which they claim to be truth and reality) if one avoids digging too deeply.

"We dismiss your religion because it is not true; we do not dismiss it because it is not wise".

I look forward to reading the results of your endeavour.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post