Writing makes me feel as if I'm doing homework

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Question Writing makes me feel as if I'm doing homework
As a high schooler in all Honors and AP classes I often have monumental amounts of homework that involves writing essays, short answers, and explanations on a plethora of subjects. Supposedly, I've always been a "great writer" (other's opinions not mine) and I believe that I would like to pursue a career in writing. Since I was able to write decently, I've always wanted to write a novel. But, now that I've begun to form the narrative of what I want to be my first novel, the physical act of writing seems to be preventing me from writing as much as I would like to.

I love the act of storytelling, but not the process of writing. It seems that the act of writing (to my subconscious) has become synonymous with the torturous boredom of the heavy amount of work (specifically in writing) I have to perform for school.

Rereading what I've written after I've written it gives me great joy, but writing itself seems grueling.

I've thought about decreasing my workload for next year by taking less advanced classes, but I've already submitted the form containing my class list (all of which are AP/College courses).

I'm really having a hard time working on my novel in my free time because of this, and I desperately wish to disconnect the act of writing with the subconscious thought of "I am doing work now".

I used to think writing was fun. But now, I'm not so sure.

Should I ask to resubmit my class list? Attempt to "power through" and finish my novel over the summer? Give up on writing a novel because of the fact that I have no determination?

I feel awkward outsourcing this question to others because it feels like something that I should deal with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2015, 09:31 PM
RE: Writing makes me feel as if I'm doing homework
Hello! Big Grin

I too have dabbled in writing stuff.

http://peebo-thulhu.deviantart.com/art/F...-104935984

http://peebo-thulhu.deviantart.com/art/Secrets-97713306

http://peebo-thulhu.deviantart.com/art/E...t-88421104

At the time I was enraptured by an RPG setting and found the details of it amazing. So, I created 'fan works' within said setting.

(P.S. I hope the small amount of time you might spend reading said works does not feel like you've been cheated.)

So, that being said, the time, place and such all came together in such a way that putting pencil to paper (Yes, I physically wrote everything down before transferring it to computer text. Tongue ) did not feel like a chore.

The 'rush' was trying to get the ideas onto the paper as fast as the mind was forming them.

So....since then I've kind of lost the time and place to do such and hence my efforts have stagnated.

My advice? Maybe break down the scenes? Buy a muti-page/pocket study book and as the scenes come to you, write them down but with large amounts of blank pages between. Then, just kind of 'write' the scenes together by trying to fill in the blank pages between them.

of course, ever one's mind works differently and so I would believe every one would write differently as well.

I kind of hope my ramblings help in some small way.

much cheers to all .
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
17-03-2015, 10:06 PM
(17-03-2015 09:31 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

I too have dabbled in writing stuff...

I never thought of that! Thanks for the input! Will try it right away!
17-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Big Grin

Hug

Heart

Wishing yourself all the best in your endeavors!
18-03-2015, 06:32 AM
(17-03-2015 09:20 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  As a high schooler in all Honors and AP classes I often have monumental amounts of homework that involves writing essays, short answers, and explanations on a plethora of subjects. Supposedly, I've always been a "great writer" (other's opinions not mine) and I believe that I would like to pursue a career in writing. Since I was able to write decently, I've always wanted to write a novel. But, now that I've begun to form the narrative of what I want to be my first novel, the physical act of writing seems to be preventing me from writing as much as I would like to.

I love the act of storytelling, but not the process of writing. It seems that the act of writing (to my subconscious) has become synonymous with the torturous boredom of the heavy amount of work (specifically in writing) I have to perform for school.

Rereading what I've written after I've written it gives me great joy, but writing itself seems grueling.

I've thought about decreasing my workload for next year by taking less advanced classes, but I've already submitted the form containing my class list (all of which are AP/College courses).

I'm really having a hard time working on my novel in my free time because of this, and I desperately wish to disconnect the act of writing with the subconscious thought of "I am doing work now".

I used to think writing was fun. But now, I'm not so sure.

Should I ask to resubmit my class list? Attempt to "power through" and finish my novel over the summer? Give up on writing a novel because of the fact that I have no determination?

I feel awkward outsourcing this question to others because it feels like something that I should deal with myself.

I urge you not to change your class list as that will have far-reaching consequences.

Putting off writing your novel until it becomes easier to write seems the more sensible path.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I would keep the class list.

just keep jotting down things for your novel as they come to you. Don't add to your pressure by giving it a deadline. Let it come together in its own time.

maybe over summer break, maybe when you are at university, maybe after graduation?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller