Writing tips!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Writing tips!!!
If there are any fiction writers here, I highly recommend this "How to Build a Story" YouTube series by Rachael Stephen. She's awesome and funny and quirky and you should definitely check her out!!

She recently released a pay-what-you-want expanded book version of this video series so I'm anxious to check that out whenever I get a little extra cash on hand. Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Escape Artist's post
04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: Writing tips!!!
Probably an inappropriate response , but...

What a delightful combination of innocence and horny this lady is.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-06-2016, 12:13 PM
(04-06-2016 01:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Probably an inappropriate response , but...

What a delightful combination of innocence and horny this lady is.

Heh. Yeah she's great. Smile Love her accent and her sense of humor. Heart

Plus the way she explains conflict's relationship to motive has helped me tons. Conflict has always been a bitch for me in the writing process. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
05-06-2016, 12:23 PM
And also watching all the brainstorming videos helped me realize that whenever the time comes for me to write my next book, I don't have to just sit around waiting for an idea to hit me like lightning out of the blue. I can brainstorm up some good ideas. It's a great feeling knowing you don't have to wait around for eureka moments. You can mine them yourself. Big Grin

Not that I never brainstormed in the past. I did, but it was this vague all-over-the-place thing. Now I have a more structured, directed way of doing it to where my brain gives me what I want.

05-06-2016, 05:59 PM
This get's me thinking. I have this story that my mind has been creating since I was 15 or so. I am now 32 and I have started writing it so many times. The story is pretty much complete. I have told it time after time to myself. It has depth and history and details that will never end up in the actual story but are only contextual to the "universe" things are happening in. But time and time again, I sit down and start writing and then there will be a sentence I hated or something and impulsive as I am about my writing, I will just delete the WHOLE THING and then hate myself for it.

I need a tip for that problem pretty please Big Grin because the story wants out. It has been in me for 17 years and it is ready... but yea, see problem above.
And "well just don't delete it then" doesn't help because I am in fact VERY impulsive when writing on my story. At least that one.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
05-06-2016, 06:19 PM
(05-06-2016 05:59 PM)Leela Wrote:  This get's me thinking. I have this story that my mind has been creating since I was 15 or so. I am now 32 and I have started writing it so many times. The story is pretty much complete. I have told it time after time to myself. It has depth and history and details that will never end up in the actual story but are only contextual to the "universe" things are happening in. But time and time again, I sit down and start writing and then there will be a sentence I hated or something and impulsive as I am about my writing, I will just delete the WHOLE THING and then hate myself for it.

I need a tip for that problem pretty please Big Grin because the story wants out. It has been in me for 17 years and it is ready... but yea, see problem above.
And "well just don't delete it then" doesn't help because I am in fact VERY impulsive when writing on my story. At least that one.

Ah, the age-old writer's problem of "Everything I write is shit" - I struggle with that one myself. Smile Though I am not quite so hard on myself as I used to be. Usually what helps is reading a variety of things from different authors and then comparing it to my own writing and realizing that really, my stuff isn't shit.

Only other thing that sometimes helps is listening to music while I write. It can keep the inner editor busy while I get down to the business of writing. He gets too caught up in the good music to worry about fussing at me. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
11-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Writing is a cry for help or a cry of joy.