Wrong side of the debate ugh

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2013, 06:20 PM
RE: Wrong side of the debate ugh
(25-10-2013 06:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Rev is on the right track.
I had a good long post arguing against Gay Marriage ages ago. Might be worth a read, though don't bother going looking for it because I can't remember when or where I posted it.

I'm personally not really pro gay marriage, but only because I'm anti-marriage to begin with.
I'm only pro gay marriage in the sense of equality.

But yea, make the argument that all marriage is stupid.
How it's some religious ceremony that belittles women. Say how back in the day a father would give the brides father a pig or something so his son could marry his daughter. Effectively meaning he just brought this lady. Thus belittles women.
Or how it was often used to solidify an alliance between two families/tribes/countries/dynasties/etc.. commonly with "love" not playing a role in it. Or how young people (like 11, 12, 13) were (and are in some places in the world) made to marry. Gandhi married at 13 if IIRC.

Argue how spouse abuse rates increase during marriage. Women (and men though but it's more commonly women) are emotionally and physically abused and it often goes unreported, probably because the victim is too scared.
Argue how women are still discriminated against in a marriage. ie: expected to stay home and clean, have a cook meal ready for the husband etc..

Argue that divorce favors the women which is sexist. And divorces can be expensive, especially if lawyers get involved, and not so good for any children involved.

You could argue that it makes people unhappy. That they may be with the same person that they use to love but no longer and some people might not be in a financial position to get out or it could be a cultural thing ie: just look at old people, divorce was never herd of back in the day and so nobody got divorced because it was "taboo".

I'm sure you could find a ton more reasons why marriage is a load of bollocks waste of time.
And than once you've made your case against marriage, add that by allow gay marriage you are strengthening the marriage institution in the sense that you are saying marriage is okay when what we should be doing is discouraging marriage.

OH and tell your gay friend I said he's a douche.

You're just pissed because you don't have a dowry. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:because I'm anti-marriage to begin with

That's only BECAUSE of gay marriage. It has eroded your moral values. Remember, the conservatives warned us that this would happen. If the country hadn't lost its way and mandated traditional marriage, surely you wouldn't be disparaging such a holy institution. Smile
Find all posts by this user
25-10-2013, 07:09 PM
(25-10-2013 01:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Ok so my friends and I like to have debates for fun. Yea we are weird. We are on gay marriage right now and Will refuses to be against because he's gay (he is such a buttface that is not even an excuse, he just wants to be in the easy side). So I am going to cheat by begging you guys to help me.
I am grasping at straws here. Anyone have any non-religious arguments against legalizing gay marriage? Doesn't even have to be logical, at this point I'll take anything. I hate losing, but at least if I have to lose I can go down fighting. So far all I've got is....uhhh......

I would argue there's enough government in marriage period and shouldn't be involved in anyway.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

27-10-2013, 07:46 AM
(25-10-2013 01:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Ok so my friends and I like to have debates for fun. Yea we are weird. We are on gay marriage right now and Will refuses to be against because he's gay (he is such a buttface that is not even an excuse, he just wants to be in the easy side). So I am going to cheat by begging you guys to help me.
I am grasping at straws here. Anyone have any non-religious arguments against legalizing gay marriage? Doesn't even have to be logical, at this point I'll take anything. I hate losing, but at least if I have to lose I can go down fighting. So far all I've got is....uhhh......

You are easy. Gay Marriage shouldn't be allowed for the same reason marriage in general shouldn't be allowed. Marriage represents a regression back to an oppressive era in which it's origins come from women being like property in which marriage was initially a contract. It is time to shed those old bullshit ideas, based on oppression and objectification. We should live in a society where people love each other and where this love and kindness isn't based on a legal document or anything that is based on past oppressive practices.

Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
28-10-2013, 11:51 AM
A bit off-topic but is the dark haired girl in the sex with ducks video the one from Big Bang Theory (Rajesh's girlfriend)?
28-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes, that's her, Kate Micucci. She was also on Scrubs and did an adorably hilarious solo comedy act called "Playing with Micucci." Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
28-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Gay marriage is what killed the dinosaurs.

You said it didn't have to be logical Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-10-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 04:19 PM by Losty.)
Thanks everyone. I lost the debate, but I did much better than I thought. I stumped him with the argument against marriage in general lol. He was speechless for a few seconds. Then he was like, well we well we are not debating marriage we are talking about civil rights here!
Lol. It was fun. He will probably make me be pro-life next ugh. To whoever told me to tell him he is a douche, I passed the message on.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
28-10-2013, 04:15 PM
(28-10-2013 02:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Gay marriage is what killed the dinosaurs.

Actually you're right on this. Sarah Palin explained there is undeniable evidence that when the dinosaurs went extinct 5,000 years ago it was because dinosaurs, being great mimics, started copying the immoral acts they observed in the city of Gomorrah, until there were so many queer dinosaurs that the species failed to procreate and went extinct.
[+] 2 users Like frankksj's post
28-10-2013, 10:37 PM
(28-10-2013 04:15 PM)frankksj Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:55 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Gay marriage is what killed the dinosaurs.

Actually you're right on this. Sarah Palin explained there is undeniable evidence that when the dinosaurs went extinct 5,000 years ago it was because dinosaurs, being great mimics, started copying the immoral acts they observed in the city of Gomorrah, until there were so many queer dinosaurs that the species failed to procreate and went extinct.

Sounds legit. And if Sarah Palin said well.. you know it's right.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.