Wrongful birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Wrongful birth
http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jury-aw...th-lawsuit

Whaddaya think?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 03:38 PM
RE: Wrongful birth
50/50 shot and they went with it and now they want to bitch? 50/50 shot, they made an educated decision as to what they were facing. Suck it up Buttercup, sometimes babies aren't healthy. They had more of a heads up then a lot of people get.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-12-2013, 03:55 PM
(17-12-2013 03:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  50/50 shot and they went with it and now they want to bitch? 50/50 shot, they made an educated decision as to what they were facing. Suck it up Buttercup, sometimes babies aren't healthy. They had more of a heads up then a lot of people get.

They were told 50/50 because the hospital failed to tell the lab what to look for....

Quote:Tests conducted by LabCorp said the child would have a 50-50 chance of being born without any issues.

But the Wuths said Valley Medical did not send LabCorp the information about where to look for a genetic defect, causing the company to miss Oliver's condition.

Oliver was born on July 12, 2008, with “unbalanced chromosomal translocation,” a condition in which the child inherits mismatched chromosomes from his parents, resulting in extra or missing genetic material. He cannot walk and has an IQ of less than 70, according to the Seattle Times.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I don't care for the slant of the article on the whole. The Seattle couple aside. I would have no problem with going though lots of genetic testing and making a decision based on the results.

If I believed a company acted to suppress or misinterpret the information, yes I'd sue.

To me it's no difference than being told by what you believe is a competent doctor that you haven't an illness when in fact you do...the delay in treatment...

Or them removing the wrong limb...

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-12-2013, 04:00 PM
And then, as an aside, apparently there are too many children who wish they were never born and are suing over that for the courts in Israel to keep up with:

Quote:Not all such cases are filed by unhappy parents. In Israel, so many children born with birth defects sued for “wrongful birth” – on the grounds that they should have been aborted – that the Israeli Supreme Court ruled in May 2012 that, in the future, only parents could bring such lawsuits.

17-12-2013, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 04:50 PM by Anjele.)
I guess my point is that no one has any assurances that their child will be healthy. If you decide to have a child, that's one of the risks you are accepting.

And shit just simply happens. You could be tested and assured through all possible tests and means that the baby you are carrying is fine and then things go to hell in a handbasket during delivery. No one can make guarantees as to the healthy delivery of a child into this world.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-12-2013, 04:04 PM
(17-12-2013 03:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't care for the slant of the article on the whole. The Seattle couple aside. I would have no problem with going though lots of genetic testing and making a decision based on the results.

If I believed a company acted to suppress or misinterpret the information, yes I'd sue.

To me it's no difference than being told by what you believe is a competent doctor that you haven't an illness when in fact you do...the delay in treatment...

Or them removing the wrong limb...

Definitely.

And of course you get the token response from the priest. Eugenic mindset? This child has a very severely limited quality of life, which in turn lessens the parents quality of life.
17-12-2013, 04:10 PM
(17-12-2013 04:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I guess my point is that no one has any assurances that their child will be healthy. If you decide to have a child, that's one of the risks you are accepting.

And shit just simply happens. You could be tested and assured through all possible tests and means that the baby you are carrying is fine and then things go to hall in a handbasket during delivery. No one can make guarantees as to the healthy delivery of a child into this world.

If someone tells me my baby is healthy depending on what the issue is, I might sue.

If I have an untrasound and told my baby is healthy and then is born without limbs or parts of the brain or heart missing....

Yes I'd sue. if I went for genetic testing and was told things were probably ok and later I learned the test wasn't complete..ya I'd be pissed enough to sue.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-12-2013, 04:11 PM
(17-12-2013 04:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I guess my point is that no one has any assurances that their child will be healthy. If you decide to have a child, that's one of the risks you are accepting.

And shit just simply happens. You could be tested and assured through all possible tests and means that the baby you are carrying is fine and then things go to hall in a handbasket during delivery. No one can make guarantees as to the healthy delivery of a child into this world.

Yabbut - in this case the hospital failed to ask for the specific test the parents knew they needed. Had the hospital asked for the correct test, the result would not have been 50/50 but conclusive. In other words, in this case the parents did not leave it up to chance but the hospital's negligence caused a faulty report to be issued.

Shit happens - but in this case the parents seemed to be aware of what kind of shit, the ways to test were in place, and the hospital screwed up.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
17-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Yep, Dom I have a friend, she had twins and found out that one of the twins had a serious problem before it was born, she didn't abort it, but instead used the time to financially and medically get their ducks in a row.

She heard about this, case and said without heistitation had her doctor not informed her of the issue for any reason, she said she wouid have sued -- since his defect was very obvious.

She's pregnant again with twins.