Wrongful birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: Wrongful birth
I don't believe in "unconditional love".

Haven't you seen The Good Son?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
17-12-2013, 06:14 PM
(17-12-2013 06:01 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't believe in "unconditional love".

Haven't you seen The Good Son?

Agreed, I don't think it exists. We can get really close... But every human has a limit
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
17-12-2013, 06:16 PM
(17-12-2013 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 05:32 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  This whole thing bothers me. It bothers me that they'd say "had we known xyz we would have aborted." Geeesh.......... that's just super harsh.
But
They asked for information and was pretty much given faulty information - so yes to the law suit.

I guess bottom line for me is ANY of us parents who have a child - the first thing you do is count fingers and toes and look for abnormalities. Fairly accurate reaction - hoping your baby is 100%. But I would certainly hope had one of mine Not turned out perfect that my reaction wouldn't have been 'eesh I should have aborted this one'.... I mean really?
That's not really the scenario with this tho. They DID try to check and couldn't make an informed decision with bad tests (or lack of the Right tests I should say)

So - yeah I understand the lawsuit. But basically I don't like these people because if you choose to have children you should be prepared to LOVE them unconditionally - tests, no tests, heads-up or none........ rain or shine........broken or perfect. With parenthood - that's the deal.

If these people wanted to be assured 100% of a healthy child with zero problems they could have checked the pedigree of a child waiting for adoption. With No chance of "Shit I wish I'd aborted you" afterwards.

eeesh
*shakes head* Don't like it. I just don't like it.

You are looking at it from the parent's point of view.

But what about the child?

I know I would not want to be born wit an IQ of 70 and never being able to walk. I would wish I had been aborted - if my brain worked well enough to even evaluate my own situation.

Not everyone ends up valuing their own life as much as their parents did. Look at the Israeli situation regarding this... Is it ok to force a kid into a life that sucks?

Excellent point, Dom.

As a side not, I'm a HUGE supporter of the right to die. If I end up brain dead, or am in a miserable state of existence PULL THE PLUG!!! I've made this very clear to each of my family members. Need to get a will though just in case.
17-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm a little impressed and very dismayed that they managed to miss an unbalanced chromosome translocation. We aren't talking about a single gene here, we're looking at a chunk of a chromosome that got swapped out. The effects are on par with Downe's Syndrome, potentially worse depending on the location and severity.

The parents had a decision to make and were given bad information. I find it hard to feel sorry for the hospital or the lab in this case.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
17-12-2013, 06:24 PM
(17-12-2013 06:16 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  As a side not, I'm a HUGE supporter of the right to die. If I end up brain dead, or am in a miserable state of existence PULL THE PLUG!!! I've made this very clear to each of my family members. Need to get a will though just in case.

Yeah, me too. I can't imagine anything worse than to be forced to live against one's will. To be forced to be there for every second of every minute of what you consider a nightmare...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-12-2013, 09:31 PM
We don't have enough information to make an informed judgement. The lab would in general be aware of what they needed to do, and there should have been some sort of genetic questionnaire going to the lab company, with the samples, for what the issues or concerns were. If they didn't get it, they should have said "no dice" on doing the test at all. There's something screwy here, we don't know about the way the process was handled. This is simply not the way it usually works. Also 50 million is unreasonable. Hopefully the hospital will appeal, and another court will cut the amount down to a more reasonable amount for care and maintenance. It's not "wrongful birth", (I don't believe the jury actually said that). It's possibly malpractice, (by the pathologists/genetecists), and/or a failure to practice laboratory medicine according to the community standard. The article was written to elicit an emotional response, and left out important information. Apparently they succeeded. Translocation is fairly common, as defects go, but the question is why were they concerned at all about it ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow. Lawsuits and all this legal what not has become REALLY fucking complicated. Twenty years ago people would be tilting their heads if you told them this.

Delving into what we can do with genetics...It's only going to get more uncomfortable from here.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
17-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Going back and rereading I have to assume that the genetic testing was to be done for a reason. Like the parents knew that this was a possibility going in but they decided to get pregnant anyway with an increased risk to a child due to an inherited abnormality. This seems to me to be an issue with the parents. They played a roulette game that they knew was not weighted in their favor. I still fail to see how the total burden of this issues falls with the hospital. If I knew that there was a very good chance that I would pass on a disease or abnormality to a child I would opt out of having a biological child. Getting pregnant knowing the risks but figuring they can just abort an afflicted child seems inherently wrong to me. Genetic testing in utero isn't done as a matter of course. There must be a reason that this was done, it must have been requested. With something that dire, why was only one test done? I still think that the parents of this child knew that theirs was a very risky venture, they rolled the dice and didn't get what they wanted. Yet, somehow a lawsuit will make it better?

How about the people that things like this happen to that have no reason to think there will be trouble?

I know a young lady who had a very healthy, beautiful daughter and then had a son that was born with a severe cleft palate and was basically a quadruple amputee due to Amniotic Band Syndrome. This little guy's legs stop at about the knees, one arm at the elbow, and one arm just below the elbow. Who should they sue? Surely, as often as ultrasounds are done someone should have noticed missing limbs. She knew she was having a boy so someone had seen him in utero. Were they not told so that they wouldn't decide to abort or did someone screw up? Either way, they are living with challenges most of us will never experience.

Deciding to have a child means that there is a chance that child will not be perfect. Hell, even having a perfect baby doesn't ensure that you won't end up with an 11 month old with Leukemia like an old boss of mine did. If you aren't willing to accept imperfection you really need to rethink the decision to have a child cause there aren't any guarantees and no one, not even medical staff, have a crystal ball.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-12-2013, 12:11 AM
I don't know about all of this. The genetic testing is never conclusive. I was told my daughter would absolutely have Down syndrome. She absolutely does not have any medical problems. I have since opted out of genetic testing with my younger two. I was only 19 and I was pressured by my doctor and midwife to have an abortion (I understand why some people would opt for abortion is some cases but Down Sydrome is not on my list of reasons).
If the couple wanted to abort if they thought their baby was going to have a genetic defect, they should have asked what test was needed and insisted on getting the test. That's my opinion.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
18-12-2013, 03:58 AM
(17-12-2013 03:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't care for the slant of the article on the whole. The Seattle couple aside. I would have no problem with going though lots of genetic testing and making a decision based on the results.

If I believed a company acted to suppress or misinterpret the information, yes I'd sue.

To me it's no difference than being told by what you believe is a competent doctor that you haven't an illness when in fact you do...the delay in treatment...

Or them removing the wrong limb...

This case basically says its okay to abort the handicapped.

What if the couple claimed they would have aborted the child if they knew the child was female but the ultrasound people botched it and told them the child was male? Okay to sue then? Where do you draw the line?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post