Wrongful birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 04:43 AM
RE: Wrongful birth
The line here is clear - it's not about abortion, it's about malpractice.

Anjele is right in that you cannot rely on any doctor just telling you what test results were - you need to educate yourself, know how to read tests, and insist on seeing the actual test results. Then you will notice that a crucial test has not been done.

That applies to everything and has nothing to do with abortion.

However, the law holds the doc responsible and not the patient. Many patients would not be able to assess whether testing was correctly done.

What bothers me about this thread is that everyone thinks about the parents and not the kid. The parents won't be there for the course of the kid's life time. The money from the law suit is not for the parents, it's for the kid, for the entire life span of the kid. Humane care for a severely disabled person is very expensive. We try not to keep our handicapped the way it was done 100 years ago, we do try to keep them alive in a humane way these days. Someone has to pay for that.

To me, the tragedy is not the parent's life, but the kid's. The parents can make decisions for themselves. Unfortunately the kid cannot be asked and can't help itself at all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
18-12-2013, 04:46 AM
This is a difficult situation, but it's not about abortion, it's about getting information. The parents are suing because they didn't get the full information that they expected. What they would have done with that information is irrelevant to anyone else, it's their decision to make together as a family.
18-12-2013, 04:53 AM
(18-12-2013 04:46 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  This is a difficult situation, but it's not about abortion, it's about getting information. The parents are suing because they didn't get the full information that they expected. What they would have done with that information is irrelevant to anyone else, it's their decision to make together as a family.

So basically the parents should be able to sue if they get wrong information about the sex of their child?

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
18-12-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm sure they could try.
However, the sex of a child doesn't have nearly as much of a bearing on its overall quality of life though. Nor does it have a bearing on the ability of the parents to care for the child.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
18-12-2013, 04:58 AM
(18-12-2013 04:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 04:46 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  This is a difficult situation, but it's not about abortion, it's about getting information. The parents are suing because they didn't get the full information that they expected. What they would have done with that information is irrelevant to anyone else, it's their decision to make together as a family.

So basically the parents should be able to sue if they get wrong information about the sex of their child?

People are able to sue if they get wrongful information about a hang nail. The keyword here is wrongful information. How much they get rewarded should depend on what it costs to rectify the damage done by the wrongful information.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-12-2013, 05:02 AM
(18-12-2013 04:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 04:53 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  So basically the parents should be able to sue if they get wrong information about the sex of their child?

People are able to sue if they get wrongful information about a hang nail. The keyword here is wrongful information. How much they get rewarded should depend on what it costs to rectify the damage done by the wrongful information.

Sex change operations are quite expensive I hear.

This tort exists because abortion. If the parents did not have legal abortion as an option the lab could never have been held liable.

18-12-2013, 05:08 AM
The suit exists because people were given wrongful information about a health issue because of negligence on part of the hospital.

Even if there were no abortion, this information is valuable as raising a handicapped child requires all kinds of preparation. The more time the parents would have to prepare themselves, the better. In some cases all kinds of preparation would be needed, such as a padded crib where the out of control body of the child cannot injure itself and all kinds of other things can be the case.

If you doctor tells you something, you should be able to believe it.

[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
18-12-2013, 05:08 AM
no, I want to point you to post #10. Accurate testing and relayed information can help the parents prepare for what is to come if they decide to continue the pregnancy. You can't blame abortion for this.

EDIT: What Dom said. >.> I guess we posted at the same time.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
18-12-2013, 05:18 AM
(18-12-2013 05:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  The suit exists because people were given wrongful information about a health issue because of negligence on part of the hospital.

Even if there were no abortion, this information is valuable as raising a handicapped child requires all kinds of preparation. The more time the parents would have to prepare themselves, the better. In some cases all kinds of preparation would be needed, such as a padded crib where the out of control body of the child cannot injure itself and all kinds of other things can be the case.

If you doctor tells you something, you should be able to believe it.

This is a valid point.

[+] 2 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
18-12-2013, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 11:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-12-2013 05:02 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Sex change operations are quite expensive I hear.

This tort exists because abortion. If the parents did not have legal abortion as an option the lab could never have been held liable.

What an idiot. The sex of the child is irrelevant. Abortion is legal. A clump of cells with no neural tube is not a person.
"This tort exists because abortion" is not sentence in the English language.
Your irrelevant hypothetical ("If the parents did not have legal abortion as an option the lab could never have been held liable") is more trolling.
Seriously. Go away Blowjob. Your shit adds NOTHING to TTA.
(I forgive you for even thinking about forgiving me for forgiving you for forgiving me for calling you the fucking idiot you have yet again proven yourself to be).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.