Wrongful birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Wrongful birth
(18-12-2013 11:22 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:19 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Oh and you guys the word handicap is kind of rude.

Why? I see 'handicapped' used all the time. Like the handicapped entrance sign for one of the doors on our favorite restaurant up here...... I parked to a sign Handicapped parking the other day at the grocery store......
???
If there's a more PC term being used - I don't know it yet.

for public access accommodations the proper term is accessible. And disabled it's more polite when referring to people. A lot of the older crowd doesn't care if you see handicap but with my crowd it's just not okay. It's like the difference between saying colored or African-American. A lot of people haven't caught on just yet but they're getting there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Different cultures, different ages, different customs. No one on this thread is saying anything demeaning about anyone with a disability, a handicap, or that is differently abled.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-12-2013, 11:37 AM
(18-12-2013 11:18 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I'm not sure how to respond to any of this. Well I do think that every woman has every right to do with her body what she pleases; I'm still kind of shocked and a little disgusted that so many would abort at the thought of the disabled child. It hits a little too close to home for me. I can understand it if someone thought that a disabled child was either too much emotionally or financially to handle but just cause the disability is there that kind of freaks me out, especially if the pregnancy is planned. And I know my case is a bit different, with me being just blind and not truly stymied much other than transportation.

Challenged? Sorry, I am an old crone. It is not a disrespectful word to me at all. Makes me think of sports..

There are hundreds of different - challenges? (This just doesn't seem to express what I mean to say). If you have a kid with constant seizures who is constantly thrashing and in pain and it can't be controlled - then that is totally different from someone with a cleft palate or something like that.

Add in that the kid with seizures may live to be 90 these days - that is a heck of a long time to be in pain. I can only speak for my own person - but I would much rather not be born in the first place in such a case.

You can't throw all types of handicaps or challenges in the same basket. They are different as night and day, plus the individuals who have them are also all different. What one person takes in stride can crush another.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I think the lawsuit is justified. Some things can't be predicted and this is just a fact of life. But these people knew the risks and tried to do their due diligence to assess and minimize the risks. When there is a known risk factor and a viable test for the condition, the expectation that you can predict the likelihood of developing the condition is reasonable. If it was a freak thing that couldn't be predicted with any degree of certainty, well, that's your hand. But if it could have been diagnosed and wasn't because of someone's gross negligence, they should be held responsible.

Taking care of a child with needs like this child undoubtedly has is expensive. Without knowing anything about the case other than what was linked in the OP, I'd venture a guess that this child's mother has had to abandon her career to stay home and care for him. The lost wages on top of medical expenses and every day things most parents won't ever have to worry about is considerable. Plus if she's ever unable to care for him for any reason, he will need to be placed in a care facility with constant care. These things are restrictively expensive.

I feel for parents who have special needs kids who don't have any option for help with expenses aside from state aid, which falls drastically short of the realistic needs of the disabled. I hope this family takes part of their settlement and donates it to the needy who don't have any other means of providing the care their children need.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
18-12-2013, 11:43 AM
My point with this is that they knew the risks and made their choice. Now, since they lost the bet, they want someone to pay up.

18-12-2013, 11:43 AM
(18-12-2013 11:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:18 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I'm not sure how to respond to any of this. Well I do think that every woman has every right to do with her body what she pleases; I'm still kind of shocked and a little disgusted that so many would abort at the thought of the disabled child. It hits a little too close to home for me. I can understand it if someone thought that a disabled child was either too much emotionally or financially to handle but just cause the disability is there that kind of freaks me out, especially if the pregnancy is planned. And I know my case is a bit different, with me being just blind and not truly stymied much other than transportation.

Challenged? Sorry, I am an old crone. It is not a disrespectful word to me at all. Makes me think of sports..

There are hundreds of different - challenges? (This just doesn't seem to express what I mean to say). If you have a kid with constant seizures who is constantly thrashing and in pain and it can't be controlled - then that is totally different from someone with a cleft palate or something like that.

Add in that the kid with seizures may live to be 90 these days - that is a heck of a long time to be in pain. I can only speak for my own person - but I would much rather not be born in the first place in such a case.

You can't throw all types of handicaps or challenges in the same basket. They are different as night and day, plus the individuals who have them are also all different. What one person takes in stride can crush another.
Ouch! Gee thanks that makes me feel so much better. I'm not sure how to respond to that seeing as I've had hydrocephalic seizures, now under control with meds. I haven't had one since last June but, that make me wince a little.
18-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Maybe this isn't the thread for you Quill if there are so many triggers.

We can't weigh every word for fear that it will somehow relate to your situation.

18-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah I figured as much
18-12-2013, 11:51 AM
(18-12-2013 11:26 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Sue, sue, sue...that'll teach people not to make a mistake.

If two people know they have a strong possibility of passing along a serious genetic abnormality, the responsibility lies with them as to whether or not to take the risk and accept the results of their choice.

But if there is a test you could take that would minimize your risk -- don't you think it's a little irresponsible NOT to get that information?

Take abortion out of the subject. The parents asked for information and they would told it was likely things would be fine. The baby is born and it's clear things aren't fine. You later learn that ONE test (that was the purpose behind all the other testing) actually wasn't run. You've gone from learning that your once 50/50 chance (which they were comfortable with taking) at a healthy child, but it is really 20%.

Now, you're faced with a life-long issue that you could have better prepared for.

This isn't about a simple mistake -- this is about a life altering mistake.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

18-12-2013, 11:56 AM
(18-12-2013 11:43 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 11:37 AM)Dom Wrote:  Challenged? Sorry, I am an old crone. It is not a disrespectful word to me at all. Makes me think of sports..

Ouch! Gee thanks that makes me feel so much better. I'm not sure how to respond to that seeing as I've had hydrocephalic seizures, now under control with meds. I haven't had one since last June but, that make me wince a little.

I am so sorry, Quill! I wasn't referring to someone who has occasional seizures, I was thinking of a person who cannot leave a bed with padded walls around it because of incessant seizures. There are degrees, and I did point that out.

I also did say that I can only go by what I would think for myself, and left room for anyone in that situation to feel differently about it.

I am definitely not talking about you, you are not challenged on a level that makes your life a living hell. Some people are, however. It is all about how YOU feel, not about how others feel.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post