Wrongful birth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 12:42 PM by BrokenQuill92.)
RE: Wrongful birth
(18-12-2013 12:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 12:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  The evolutuion of words and political correctness is very interesting.

Stupid, dumb, retarded, are all mostly not PC nowadays. However, I don't think that was always the case.
I had no idea handicapped was considered not PC. Is disabled PC? Challenged? It seems like no matter what the term is, eventually it will become non PC, and a new term will be created (until it ultimately becomes non PC, and replaced in the endless cycle).

No offense to anybody in particular when I say this, but this brings to mind those ridiculous lawsuits where a company gets sued for being racist, sexist, or whateverist because of some mild non PC term or picture they used in an ad or on a product. So many company apologies have happened in the last few years because a group of consumers FLIPPED OUT as if they were being personally attacked by an ad. Most of the time there was obviously no harm or anything-ism intended by the company that made the ad. All that's really happening is consumers are getting writers and artists fired for not catering to their over-sensitivities.

Anyways, that's an aside to the topic at hand I suppose.

As far as I know handicap is as safe as it gets in terms of PCness. Who said it isn't PC?

I did, most older generations don't mind. But if you talk to a disabled person within my age group and we don't care for it much.

I'm not a person who minds much I still find it slightly offensive but I realize the rest the world hasn't caught up. It was mostly just a warning you guys because I know that some people personally would probably flip out.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 12:45 PM
(18-12-2013 12:36 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 12:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  As far as I know handicap is as safe as it gets in terms of PCness. Who said it isn't PC?

I did, most older generations don't mind. But if you talk to a disabled person within my age group and we don't care for it much.

Maybe it varies depending on where you live. I don't like to consider myself older and I've never heard of it not being PC. I honestly don't care for being PC because it's so subjective. I try to speak in a way that makes it obvious that I don't intend to offend anyone and that usually goes well for me.
Find all posts by this user
18-12-2013, 12:47 PM
(18-12-2013 12:24 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  And just to add some flame to the fire..
I'm strongly against the "right to die" or whatever it's called. In all but the most extreme cases, I think living (existance) trumps non existance. I mean this for those who are already born and in this world.

That is perfectly fine applied to yourself - it's your choice.

Just don't try to deprive me of my choice...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
18-12-2013, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 01:16 PM by Adrianime.)
(18-12-2013 12:28 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 12:24 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  And just to add some flame to the fire..
I'm strongly against the "right to die" or whatever it's called. In all but the most extreme cases, I think living (existance) trumps non existance. I mean this for those who are already born and in this world.

Why should what you think affect other people's choices? If one day you are very sick and suffering then by all means chose to stay alive and suffer. But don't try to push your opinions or beliefs on someone else. If someone doesn't want to live, then why shouldn't they have the right to die?
Well, I'll put it this way. I'm prejudice against the religious on this. If any religious person resigns themself to death because they believe there is an afterlife or "something better" than this life, then eff that. No, they shouldn't be allowed to die because they have been tricked into believing the whole lie of the afterlife. It's like murder by influence.

If a person is making an informed decision, knowing that there is no afterlife, I think they are very much making the biggest mistake of their lives, but I think they more or less have the right to do with their lives as they want.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
18-12-2013, 01:05 PM
According to a few articles I just read......... non-disabled people have deemed calling those with "limitations" as "Disabled" for PC purposes. While....... (and I found this very cute) those people who actually HAVE disabilities DID NOT like the term Disabled. Many of them say "Hey - I work full time. I may have a handicap but I am NOT disabled!" Sounds to me like we're in a bit of hair-splitting over this one. LOL And the ONLY way to be safe is to politically correct-fully address someone's specific issue - such as Wheelchair person or Blind (aka NOT Blind PERSON......as blind person is NOT PC) So there are cases when using the word "person" is appropriate and then other times using the term "person" is VERY Unfit a thing to do. Holy Handicapped Batman - it's crazy out there Hobo

In fact, this is SO confusing (even to those who HAVE disabilities - for they cannot agree either) Could we maybe just get back to the LAW SUIT........... ??

Confused

Perhaps this what-is and what-is-not PC deserves its very own thread?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
18-12-2013, 01:21 PM
(18-12-2013 01:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  According to a few articles I just read......... non-disabled people have deemed calling those with "limitations" as "Disabled" for PC purposes. While....... (and I found this very cute) those people who actually HAVE disabilities DID NOT like the term Disabled. Many of them say "Hey - I work full time. I may have a handicap but I am NOT disabled!" Sounds to me like we're in a bit of hair-splitting over this one. LOL And the ONLY way to be safe is to politically correct-fully address someone's specific issue - such as Wheelchair person or Blind (aka NOT Blind PERSON......as blind person is NOT PC) So there are cases when using the word "person" is appropriate and then other times using the term "person" is VERY Unfit a thing to do. Holy Handicapped Batman - it's crazy out there Hobo

In fact, this is SO confusing (even to those who HAVE disabilities - for they cannot agree either) Could we maybe just get back to the LAW SUIT........... ??

Confused

Perhaps this what-is and what-is-not PC deserves its very own thread?

Very confusing. I thought it was "challenged". But that gets confusing if you mean handicapped in a broad sense - challenged works with an adjective, like mentally challenged.

I give up. Maybe someone can start a thread on this like you said and shed some light on this.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-12-2013, 01:25 PM
(18-12-2013 01:04 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 12:28 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Why should what you think affect other people's choices? If one day you are very sick and suffering then by all means chose to stay alive and suffer. But don't try to push your opinions or beliefs on someone else. If someone doesn't want to live, then why shouldn't they have the right to die?
Well, I'll put it this way. I'm prejudice against the religious on this. If any religious person resigns themself to death because they believe there is an afterlife or "something better" than this life, then eff that. No, they shouldn't be allowed to die because they have been tricked into believing the whole lie of the afterlife. It's like murder by influence.

If a person is making an informed decision, knowing that there is no afterlife, I think they are very much making the biggest mistake of their lives, but I think they more or less have the right to do with their lives as they want.

That is fine by me, I will reserve my decision for when the time comes. But I am quite sure that it will come eventually.

18-12-2013, 01:29 PM
So if the kid dies at a young age, does this couple get to keep the money?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
18-12-2013, 01:34 PM
(17-12-2013 03:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jury-aw...th-lawsuit

Whaddaya think?

I dunno if anyone mentioned this. but there is a book by Jodi Piccoult called Handle with Care. Fictional, but the book is the same concept. Parents sue for wrongful birth because they don't have the money to support their child with O.I. They do it, not because they believed they would have aborted, but to get the money for her care.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
18-12-2013, 03:20 PM
(18-12-2013 01:34 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 03:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jury-aw...th-lawsuit

Whaddaya think?

I dunno if anyone mentioned this. but there is a book by Jodi Piccoult called Handle with Care. Fictional, but the book is the same concept. Parents sue for wrongful birth because they don't have the money to support their child with O.I. They do it, not because they believed they would have aborted, but to get the money for her care.

I suspect that all the children suing in Israel also had money motives - they may not have regretted having been born. At least some or most of them.