X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
X-COM: Enemy Unknown
Was anyone a huge fan of the original MicroProse X-COM: UFO Defense and really excited about the upcoming Firaxis remake?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
RE: X-COM: Enemy Unknown
(10-07-2012 12:56 PM)StatiK Wrote:  Was anyone a huge fan of the original MicroProse X-COM: UFO Defense and really excited about the upcoming Firaxis remake?
Yes! Loved that game. A friend had it and it was the first time I upgraded a computer so I could play X-Com.

I recently downloaded UFO: Alien Invasion which is a weak remake of the original...similar concept, only not as fun, for some reason. I actually would rather get my hands on the original version than a remake. Even though the graphics would be better on a new remake, it's hard to imagine the gameplay would be as awesome. Something about those cheesy graphics and turn-based play worked really well for me. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Try UFO Extraterrestrials off of Steam. It's very similar to the original game with a whole set of modding tools that you can use to increase and decrease the difficulty on all sorts of aspects of the game.

Man, I loved the original X-COM game! I got the shareware for free out of a Babbages back in like 1993 and probably played through the one Snakemen terror mission about 500 times before the game was actually released. HUGE fan of the series! Smile
[+] 2 users Like StatiK's post
10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes! I loved the series! I played those games over and over. I bought the originals on Steam and still play them from time to time. I also bought into a remake alpha program that is making a new game that is supposed to be very similar. So far it's showing promise, but it's still feels like it's in early alpha. Can't remember the name right now though.

I'll check out the UFO Extraterrestrials, I hadn't heard about that! Thumbsup

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
10-07-2012, 01:26 PM
I even loved Terror From The Deep and Apocalypse. I hope this new Firaxis title lives up to the original and that they continue to develop sequels, because this could be huge for the franchise.
10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah, remembered what the name of the remake is:

http://www.xenonauts.com/

It is still in alpha.

10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I've looked into that one a little bit. I don't know how much attention it'll get with Firaxis making a big-budget remake and all. They've been making Xenonauts for a long time. There was also a project called UFO 2000 which was intended to make X-COM a multiplayer game.
10-07-2012, 01:40 PM
(10-07-2012 01:26 PM)StatiK Wrote:  I even loved Terror From The Deep and Apocalypse. I hope this new Firaxis title lives up to the original and that they continue to develop sequels, because this could be huge for the franchise.
From what I've read, it will live up to the original games. Of course there will be tweaks and changes, but if the overall gameplay feels like X-Com, then I will be very happy.

Just like Starcraft II- lots hate it that it's not the original and in some ways not as good, but many many people love it because it is Starcraft and it is in many ways improved.

I think Firaxis has the resources it needs to not screw this one up.

10-07-2012, 01:41 PM
(10-07-2012 01:39 PM)StatiK Wrote:  Yeah, I've looked into that one a little bit. I don't know how much attention it'll get with Firaxis making a big-budget remake and all. They've been making Xenonauts for a long time. There was also a project called UFO 2000 which was intended to make X-COM a multiplayer game.
Yeah, I actually didn't know about the Firaxis remake until you made this thread- but I've already read up on it a bit. I'm excited! Big Grin

I wish I had known before I spent money on Xenonauts... but oh well, maybe I'll have two games to be stoked about.

10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Fortunately the team working on the remake at Firaxis are huge fans of the original game and for a game that requires a certain level of micromanagement I'm glad that the same company that produces the Civilization series has the rights for working on X-COM. Smile
[+] 2 users Like StatiK's post