Xbox...please help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Xbox...please help
My 10 year old daughter's friends have xbox 360s. She wants to play minecraft. I know nothing about this. Notice there are Xbox ones.

What should I buy her? How much? Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2015, 11:35 PM
RE: Xbox...please help
(23-01-2015 10:55 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  My 10 year old daughter's friends have xbox 360s. She wants to play minecraft. I know nothing about this. Notice there are Xbox ones.

What should I buy her? How much? Thanks.

The detail here is a little sparse... Some more info as to exactly what information you need might be helpful.

But here's the basics from what I get: Minecraft is a crafting game; you spend your time collecting resources to build, well whatever you can with the cubes you are working with. It's a decent kid's game; no real graphic content at all, in case you might have been concerned.

I'm betting that your daughter wants to play with her friends, no? If so; you'll have to go for a 360. 360's are relatively cheap these days but they are still within the hundred-odd of dollars range if store-brought. But as compensation, you can often get them in bundles with games thrown in to add value.

Assuming you don't manage to find a bundle with Minecraft included, it's a pretty cheap game; about ten-to-twenty bucks on the higher end of the spectrum. It can usually be found in-stores, but you can buy it directly off of the 360's online store if need be.
There is the added cost of XboxLive to consider: in order for your daughter to play with her friends you'll need to shell out for that too, though she can play on her own without it. You can pay on a subscription-based service or buy things pre-paid like 3-month access (prices vary for the length of time, of course). You'll also have to connect it to your internet network to do that, which isn't a big deal.

You have to keep in mind that all of this is based on Australian knowledge, so if you are elsewhere stated price-estimates may vary drastically.

If you do decide to get her a 360, I suggest you go into it as a "family console" for everybody's to use; there's a huge variety of games on the system and frankly buying it for one game is not worth the money.
Naturally, the 360 can serve other purposes, like as a Netflix and YouTube streaming device and DVD player, in case you might be looking at other utilities it might offer.

If I may delve into personal opinion; don't bother going with a Xbox One. It is a better media centre (more streaming services and such) and it is technically better than the 360, but it will cost a good chunk more, has a slightly smaller variety of games you or others might want to use and it wont function cross-platform so your daughter would not be able to play with friends outside of in-person split-screen, so the added price is not really justified for your situation, based on the information you've given.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-01-2015, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 02:24 AM by gofish!.)
OK so my son's a Minecraft expert and seeing as I've set up three servers for him with multiple custom plugins, I might be able to help.

First thing is that Freethought is right about just about eveything. So given what you've described, here's a checklist.

1. You'll need an xbox360 if she wants to play with her friends simply because they are on xbox live. I know of know way to get the pc version into an xbox live game, so don't be tempted to get the pc version.

2. Freethought is right in advising against the xbox one if you want the cheapest deal. Minecraft works fine on a 360 and a new xbox one is frankly overkill. 360s have got to be cheap as chips these days. Of course if you want to buy the xbox one, that's your choice.

3. Sounds like you may not already have a 360. So if you buy one secondhand, make sure the console has not been banned by Microsoft, as it won't be allowed on xbox live.

4. You will need an xbox live subscription for her to be able to play online with her friends. You can get this direct off Amazon, although there are legitimate discounters where you can get codes for 10% or so cheaper.

And that is it. Freethought doesn't do the game justice though. Although most people know you can create buildings, some people have done amazing things, such as recreate whole cities in MC. My son has even built logic devices. Some people even recreate other games within Minecraft (The Hunger Games was popular for a while).

The appeal of the game is that in creative mode you can do or build anything you like. It's like virtual Lego with an infinite canvas and infinite bricks.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
24-01-2015, 02:20 AM
Note that the XBox 360 version of minecraft is somewhat limited compared to the PC version. You can buy Minecraft for your computer rather than needing to have a console to play.

My children use the technic launcher, which allows them to play different versions of the game made by fans called "mods".

If you go down the PC path the steps are:
- Go to https://minecraft.net/
- Buy the game ($26.95USD)
- Download it there, or if you want to play mods load up the technic launcher: http://www.technicpack.net/download

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-01-2015, 02:25 AM
(24-01-2015 02:02 AM)gofish! Wrote:  OK so my son's a Minecraft expert and seeing as I've set up three servers for him with multiple custom plugins, I might be able to help.

First thing is that Freeto reason is right about just about eveything. So given what you've described, here's a checklist.

1. You'll need an xbox360 if she wants to play with her friends simply because they are on xbox live. I know of know way to get the pc version into an xbox live game, so don't be tempted to get the pc version.

2. F2R is right in advising against the xbox one if you want the cheapest deal. Minecraft works fine on a 360 and a new xbox one is frankly overkill. 360s have got to be cheap as chips these days. Of course if you want to buy the xbox one, that's your choice.

3. Sounds like you may not already have a 360. So if you buy one secondhand, make sure the console has not been banned by Microsoft, as it won't be allowed on xbox live.

4. You will need an xbox live subscription for her to be able to play online with her friends. You can get this direct off Amazon, although there are legitimate discounters where you can get codes for 10% or so cheaper.

And that is it. F2R doesn't do the game justice though. Although most people know you can create buildings, some people have done amazing things, such as recreate whole cities in MC. My son has even built logic devices. Some people even recreate other games within Minecraft (The Hunger Games was popular for a while).

The appeal of the game is that in creative mode you can do or build anything you like. It's like virtual Lego with an infinite canvas and infinite bricks.

Good checklist, Gofish; but I must insist on two corrections:

First and foremost; you mixed myself and Freetoreason up. Free is the guy who asked for help, while Free is the guy who first answered, simple, right?

Secondly; while I will readily admit to underselling the game, but I will justify it in that I have spent lots of time in MC and most of it was spent collecting resources and building cube-houses and I honestly don't except your average 10 year old would go into the business of recreating Denmark or making a Word processor and such things were not part of my experience so I didn't feel in necessary to immediately include them.
Enough babbling, onto the correction: the 360 version of Minecraft doesn't actually allow for infinite space and blocks as you stated, thanks to limitations inherent in the console hardware (this applies to all consoles; yet another mark for the PC Master Race).

[EDIT]: Not quick enough on the corrections, it seems. Too much self-justification.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-01-2015, 02:29 AM
(24-01-2015 02:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Note that the XBox 360 version of minecraft is somewhat limited compared to the PC version. You can buy Minecraft for your computer rather than needing to have a console to play.

My children use the technic launcher, which allows them to play different versions of the game made by fans called "mods".

If you go down the PC path the steps are:
- Go to https://minecraft.net/
- Buy the game ($26.95USD)
- Download it there, or if you want to play mods load up the technic launcher: http://www.technicpack.net/download

Yabut you're completely forgetting the social aspect. All her friends are on the xbox version. If he gets the pc version (which is superior) she won't be able to play with her friends, as the OP has stated.

That's the reason my son (with a 6GB hosted server) also plays the xbox version, where a lot of his schoolmates meet.

Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
24-01-2015, 02:36 AM
(24-01-2015 02:25 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-01-2015 02:02 AM)gofish! Wrote:  OK so my son's a Minecraft expert and seeing as I've set up three servers for him with multiple custom plugins, I might be able to help.

First thing is that Freeto reason is right about just about eveything. So given what you've described, here's a checklist.

2. F2R is right in advising against the xbox one if you want the cheapest deal. Minecraft works fine on a 360 and a new xbox one is frankly overkill. 360s have got to be cheap as chips these days. Of course if you want to buy the xbox one, that's your choice.

And that is it. F2R doesn't do the game justice though. Although most people know you can create buildings, some people have done amazing things, such as recreate whole cities in MC. My son has even built logic devices. Some people even recreate other games within Minecraft (The Hunger Games was popular for a while).

Good checklist, Gofish; but I must insist on two corrections:

First and foremost; you mixed myself and Freetoreason up. Free is the guy who asked for help, while Free is the guy who first answered, simple, right?

Secondly; while I will readily admit to underselling the game, but I will justify it in that I have spent lots of time in MC and most of it was spent collecting resources and building cube-houses and I honestly don't except your average 10 year old would go into the business of recreating Denmark or making a Word processor and such things were not part of my experience so I didn't feel in necessary to immediately include them.
Enough babbling, onto the correction: the 360 version of Minecraft doesn't actually allow for infinite space and blocks as you stated, thanks to limitations inherent in the console hardware (this applies to all consoles; yet another mark for the PC Master Race).

[EDIT]: Not quick enough on the corrections, it seems. Too much self-justification.

On my phone, which contributed to my error in names, which was corrected before you posted. Tongue

Too many "free spirits" here. Tongue Tongue

As for your point on infinite space, whilst technically you have a point in terms of the relationship between console and server resources, I was talking metaphorically. Tongue Tongue Tongue

Finally, building cities is easier than you obviously think..... 4 x Tongue

Me.
24-01-2015, 06:47 AM
Buying a gaming console, a video game and xbox live just so your daughter can play minecraft with her friends is fucking stupid.

Pirate it for free and get everyone to play it on the PC and save about $400 on something that will most likely turn into a fab and she'll get sick of after a couple weeks. Mind you your PC can't be total garbage, it's a surprisingly demanding game despite the shit graphics.

Alternatively tell her that kids in Africa are starving and she should appreciate the shit she already has and not just follow what her friends do and to think for herself and pursue things that she wants to do.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Why the fuck is minecraft on xbox?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-01-2015, 08:02 AM
If you're heading down the XBox route I would say that the XBox One does provide better render distances and the like compared to the 360 edition, and also supports larger worlds I think. I track a few youtubers who have made this transition and appreciate what the XBox One brings with it.

That said, if price is a concern stick with the 360.
That said, if price is a concern stick to the $27 PC version and get all her friends to upgrade to the cheaper and much better PC version rather than buying a console.

(24-01-2015 06:47 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Pirate it for free and get everyone to play it on the PC and save about $400 on something that will most likely turn into a fab and she'll get sick of after a couple weeks. Mind you your PC can't be total garbage, it's a surprisingly demanding game despite the shit graphics.
Agreed on this. If she isn't into Minecraft already then social pressure may not be the best reason to shell out hundreds of dollars.

(24-01-2015 07:10 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Why the fuck is minecraft on xbox?

The same reason Microsoft bought Minecraft. Kids play it, and makes the company heaps of moolah by convincing their friends to buy XBoxes and the like Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.