YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2014, 05:10 PM
RE: YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE
Be open to new things, new people. But think before you do anything that would follow you for the rest of your life.

You will be fine.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
13-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Well my degree is CIS, which basically covers computer science and programming and all that neat jazz. I'm getting my associates at a two year community college (then my bachelors at a university) at the moment because it's cheaper to get my basics out of the way. Right now I only have classes Tuesdays and Thursday: English, Speech (public speaking because I needed an elective for my minimum amount of credit hours), some dumb orientation class, and math. The class that coincides with my degree is mostly an online class (it's an intro class) and I only meet on campus for it two days a semester and each day is for four hours. I'm pretty content with my schedule. My classes overall cost around 1200 or a little more, I think. I've yet to buy my books, but I was told they'd be around 600 depending on how well I'm able to thrift my books.

What's left of my pell grant is going towards my car. I'm getting a Honda. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
13-08-2014, 06:03 PM
(13-08-2014 02:49 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Like voodoo and underage drinking.

You will be happy to know that college is totally compatible with both those things. In fact, college is where I did almost all of my underage drinking. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-08-2014, 06:37 PM
(13-08-2014 05:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Well my degree is CIS, which basically covers computer science and programming and all that neat jazz. I'm getting my associates at a two year community college (then my bachelors at a university) at the moment because it's cheaper to get my basics out of the way. Right now I only have classes Tuesdays and Thursday: English, Speech (public speaking because I needed an elective for my minimum amount of credit hours), some dumb orientation class, and math. The class that coincides with my degree is mostly an online class (it's an intro class) and I only meet on campus for it two days a semester and each day is for four hours. I'm pretty content with my schedule. My classes overall cost around 1200 or a little more, I think. I've yet to buy my books, but I was told they'd be around 600 depending on how well I'm able to thrift my books.

What's left of my pell grant is going towards my car. I'm getting a Honda. Big Grin

Well, this old fart will urge you to find a balance between academics and socializing, but you'll have to find that out for yourself. Yes

It took me my whole first year. Dodgy

Remember, we have some accomplished computer geeks here if you want some help with that stuff. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Right now, schedule the time in for your online class. Otherwise you will put it off because life will pull you away. Start telling yourself you have three classes on tues thurs.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Yay ferdi!! Hug Banana_zorro

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
13-08-2014, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 09:12 PM by Nurse.)
Congrats! College was the best time of my life. I got an A+ in partying. (Woohoo free from my parents oppressive religious regime). Go all out at theme parties. If you find a coconut bra, buy it - especially if it is on sale.

Everyone has given great, happy advice, so consider mine more of a cautionary tale:
I had a very promising future - 27 hours of college credit before I finished high school - I was an early start student at UAH. I didn't study, dropped out of Auburn (I had a 3.4 - I was much more capable than that) where my plan was Chemical engineering to med school... And then I got married. Once I figured out what I wanted to do with my life, I decided on nursing as my bachelors. One semester in I decided I wanted to go to med school after all and would use the navy to help me get there - then I peed on a stick my jr spring semester of nursing school and 2 pink lines changed everything. I've now been a nurse for 5 years, the navy refused to take me 2 years ago despite my experience with Level I trauma, and now med school is a pipedream. I am planning to become a CRNA after I finish two years in a job I don't enjoy, and I will never be a trauma surgeon.

(Have you heard the graduation song Wear Sunscreen?)
Poor decisions lead to shitty consequences. Some messes are too big to clean up, others just make you change your plans to something less desirable. Have fun partying, but keep it to the weekends. High school was easy for me and I never cracked a book - college is much different, learn effective study skills. And NEVER EVER skip class, not to get laid, and not unless your hangover is so bad you're still puking. Go to your 8am class in last night's party clothes if necessary - own that walk of shame. If Auburn had a celebrity walk of shame with stars, they could name the street after me.
Studying sucks, regret sucks worse. Consider class your job - it sorta is, you're just not getting paid yet. Read through the class material BEFORE class so you know what questions to ask.

I'd say don't do drugs period, but that's up there with abstinence only education.

Stay away from meth, cocaine, and opiates - addiction is a bitch. Stay away from people that use meth, cocaine and opiates - they steal your stuff. Don't smoke pot the night before an exam. Don't drink and drive, have a plan BEFORE your first drink - sleep it off on a couch, in a car, walk or call a cab - You don't want to be responsible for the death or injury of another human being. Research alcohol poisoning so you know the difference between stupid drunk and when to take your friend to the hospital (don't put a drunk person in a cold shower - they are already hypothermic and now you 'might' cause seizures, also coffee does Not sober you up... Time is the ONLY thing that will lower your BAC). No one at the hospital is going to call the cops because you are concerned a friend has overdosed, but cops WILL show up if they die at your house because you failed to take them. A lot of the LSD in Alabama is not currently legit LSD so stay away, do shrooms instead if you're determined to use a psychedelic.

Don't have sex in the dark if you haven't already inspected what you're about to fuck. Always have spare condoms JUST IN CASE, like go buy a pack now if you don't have any, sometimes you really do "get lucky" I.e. One night stands

College is THE BEST time of your life. Cherish it. Enjoy it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
13-08-2014, 10:05 PM
(13-08-2014 05:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Well my degree is CIS, which basically covers computer science and programming and all that neat jazz. I'm getting my associates at a two year community college (then my bachelors at a university) at the moment because it's cheaper to get my basics out of the way. Right now I only have classes Tuesdays and Thursday: English, Speech (public speaking because I needed an elective for my minimum amount of credit hours), some dumb orientation class, and math. The class that coincides with my degree is mostly an online class (it's an intro class) and I only meet on campus for it two days a semester and each day is for four hours. I'm pretty content with my schedule. My classes overall cost around 1200 or a little more, I think. I've yet to buy my books, but I was told they'd be around 600 depending on how well I'm able to thrift my books.

What specifically? My major is game design and I just made friends with a Blizzard employee so that made my day Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
13-08-2014, 11:42 PM
(13-08-2014 09:05 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Congrats! College was the best time of my life. I got an A+ in partying. (Woohoo free from my parents oppressive religious regime). Go all out at theme parties. If you find a coconut bra, buy it - especially if it is on sale.

Everyone has given great, happy advice, so consider mine more of a cautionary tale:
I had a very promising future - 27 hours of college credit before I finished high school - I was an early start student at UAH. I didn't study, dropped out of Auburn (I had a 3.4 - I was much more capable than that) where my plan was Chemical engineering to med school... And then I got married. Once I figured out what I wanted to do with my life, I decided on nursing as my bachelors. One semester in I decided I wanted to go to med school after all and would use the navy to help me get there - then I peed on a stick my jr spring semester of nursing school and 2 pink lines changed everything. I've now been a nurse for 5 years, the navy refused to take me 2 years ago despite my experience with Level I trauma, and now med school is a pipedream. I am planning to become a CRNA after I finish two years in a job I don't enjoy, and I will never be a trauma surgeon.

(Have you heard the graduation song Wear Sunscreen?)
Poor decisions lead to shitty consequences. Some messes are too big to clean up, others just make you change your plans to something less desirable. Have fun partying, but keep it to the weekends. High school was easy for me and I never cracked a book - college is much different, learn effective study skills. And NEVER EVER skip class, not to get laid, and not unless your hangover is so bad you're still puking. Go to your 8am class in last night's party clothes if necessary - own that walk of shame. If Auburn had a celebrity walk of shame with stars, they could name the street after me.
Studying sucks, regret sucks worse. Consider class your job - it sorta is, you're just not getting paid yet. Read through the class material BEFORE class so you know what questions to ask.

I'd say don't do drugs period, but that's up there with abstinence only education.

Stay away from meth, cocaine, and opiates - addiction is a bitch. Stay away from people that use meth, cocaine and opiates - they steal your stuff. Don't smoke pot the night before an exam. Don't drink and drive, have a plan BEFORE your first drink - sleep it off on a couch, in a car, walk or call a cab - You don't want to be responsible for the death or injury of another human being. Research alcohol poisoning so you know the difference between stupid drunk and when to take your friend to the hospital (don't put a drunk person in a cold shower - they are already hypothermic and now you 'might' cause seizures, also coffee does Not sober you up... Time is the ONLY thing that will lower your BAC). No one at the hospital is going to call the cops because you are concerned a friend has overdosed, but cops WILL show up if they die at your house because you failed to take them. A lot of the LSD in Alabama is not currently legit LSD so stay away, do shrooms instead if you're determined to use a psychedelic.

Don't have sex in the dark if you haven't already inspected what you're about to fuck. Always have spare condoms JUST IN CASE, like go buy a pack now if you don't have any, sometimes you really do "get lucky" I.e. One night stands

College is THE BEST time of your life. Cherish it. Enjoy it.

I have a lot of friends attending Auburn and Alabama U. I'm doing my first two years at a community and then transferring over in Georgia.

Luckily, most of my friends don't do ridiculous drugs like cocaine, meth, etc. I've been around family members that have done meth (not while they were doing it, but I witnessed the after effects) and that stuff does scary shit to a person. I'd say about the only ridiculous things going around are DMT, Acid, and Xanax. To each his own, I suppose.

I'm not much of an extreme partier, but I seem to have a very active social life, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people in college. I'm expecting my ridiculous typing or orientation class to be filled with old people though. Evening classes usually are. Oh well.

Pregnancy in college would be my worst nightmare. I'm so paranoid about it. Believe me; I'm careful. My best friend is 18 and her baby is due any possible day now. Seeing what she goes through and being there to support her gives me enough insight that I don't want a child for an extremely long time. I don't even know if the world could handle a second little Ferdy.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
14-08-2014, 07:44 AM
WOOOOOOO COLLEGE!!

Man, I miss school. Sad

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.