YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 01:19 AM
RE: YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE
(14-08-2014 04:19 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 04:12 PM)kim Wrote:  Nah... university will be a breeze ... relax ... and remember to wear a full body condom every day. Drinking Beverage

Might be breeze for some, but for me, I doubt it.

And rest assured I'll have no need of any condom-like things. Have you seen a picture of me? I doubt anybody would be that desperate! Big Grin

That's awful to say about yourself! You need a little self esteem. Weeping

(15-08-2014 12:19 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I went to my to-be university today for an open day.

I attended two lectures (one on the BSc's of Animal Behaviour and Biodiversity and conservation and the other on Science.. because screw specifics) and spent the rest of the day sitting and/or laying around in different locations. I assume this behaviour is quite normal.

I am somewhat happy to report that I've got my plans.

Mind sharing those plans? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 02:52 AM by Free Thought.)
(15-08-2014 01:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 04:19 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Might be breeze for some, but for me, I doubt it.

And rest assured I'll have no need of any condom-like things. Have you seen a picture of me? I doubt anybody would be that desperate! Big Grin

That's awful to say about yourself! You need a little self esteem. Weeping

Counter point; truth is a harsh mistress.

(15-08-2014 01:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 12:19 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I went to my to-be university today for an open day.

I attended two lectures (one on the BSc's of Animal Behaviour and Biodiversity and conservation and the other on Science.. because screw specifics) and spent the rest of the day sitting and/or laying around in different locations. I assume this behaviour is quite normal.

I am somewhat happy to report that I've got my plans.

Mind sharing those plans? Smile

Do you really wanna know? Really?
It's not really well planned out...

I aim to get a BSc in Animal Behaviour. There, it's out into the world now. ... I highly doubt I'll do an Honours degree though.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-08-2014, 06:13 AM
(13-08-2014 02:49 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  HOLY SHIT I AM STARTING COLLEGE IN FIVE DAYS SUCK MY ASS.

It looks like you're already set to have fun when you get there. It's good to know what you want to get out of college.

Best of luck to you, both on your classes and your extracurriculars!
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
15-08-2014, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 06:58 AM by Hafnof.)

Good luck. I was a straight laced student (good christian boy). When I went through the main vice of IT students was caffeine. It was the engineers who stated their motto as "If you can still hold on to the floor you aren't drunk enough yet". I spanned maths, IT and engineering disciplines myself.

The main difference I noted at the time was that at University typically no one will chase you for assignments, attendance, anything. If you are there it is by your own choice and no one will mother you. If that costs you marks it's on your own head. That can be a very different environment to high school, so be ready to for that transition.

As for the coursework, your first semester is probably going to be roughly a rehash of your last two years of schooling. The next semester will cram about the equivalent of another year or two of material. After thing things tend to get incrementally faster until you graduate. Many people drop out due to the increasing learning curve and lack of anyone pushing them to climb it.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
19-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Halfway through my first day of college. My English class (12-1pm) was less than thirty minutes long. We went over our syllabus, and boy was it fun listing to my teacher, who has a lisp, say the word "essay" fourth time. She also sounds like a female Sheldon Cooper. Then we answered three questions on paper for the teacher. Turned the paper in, left, dicked around with some friends, then I went to Speech.

Speech (2-3pm) was alright. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the instructor. She's down to earth, sarcastic and the opposite of boring (like my English teacher appears to be) but just by going over the syllabus I feel like I'm in over my head with the work already.

My next class, Orientation (5-6pm) begins in about an hour. So for an hour now I've just been dicking around campus and sitting in the student lounge. I bought/rented my books, which amounted to $530 of hell. I have an hour remaining before my next class, and I'm starving.

Weeping
[+] 5 users Like Ferdinand's post
19-08-2014, 02:39 PM
(19-08-2014 02:14 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Halfway through my first day of college. My English class (12-1pm) was less than thirty minutes long. We went over our syllabus, and boy was it fun listing to my teacher, who has a lisp, say the word "essay" fourth time. She also sounds like a female Sheldon Cooper. Then we answered three questions on paper for the teacher. Turned the paper in, left, dicked around with some friends, then I went to Speech.

Speech (2-3pm) was alright. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the instructor. She's down to earth, sarcastic and the opposite of boring (like my English teacher appears to be) but just by going over the syllabus I feel like I'm in over my head with the work already.

My next class, Orientation (5-6pm) begins in about an hour. So for an hour now I've just been dicking around campus and sitting in the student lounge. I bought/rented my books, which amounted to $530 of hell. I have an hour remaining before my next class, and I'm starving.

Weeping

You start in August? What a country...

If you're in large courses the books are almost always way cheaper online (international editions are your best friends). By the time you get to upper year physics that is, alas, rarely an option.

... this is my signature!
19-08-2014, 02:41 PM
(19-08-2014 02:14 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Halfway through my first day of college. My English class (12-1pm) was less than thirty minutes long. We went over our syllabus, and boy was it fun listing to my teacher, who has a lisp, say the word "essay" fourth time. She also sounds like a female Sheldon Cooper. Then we answered three questions on paper for the teacher. Turned the paper in, left, dicked around with some friends, then I went to Speech.

Weeping

Buck up little camper! Big Grin

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-08-2014, 03:06 PM
(15-08-2014 02:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 01:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  That's awful to say about yourself! You need a little self esteem. Weeping

Counter point; truth is a harsh mistress.

(15-08-2014 01:19 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Mind sharing those plans? Smile

I aim to get a BSc in Animal Behaviour. There, it's out into the world now. ... I highly doubt I'll do an Honours degree though.

Well, that and lounging around various parts of the campus.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2014, 03:26 PM
(19-08-2014 03:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 02:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Counter point; truth is a harsh mistress.

Well, that and lounging around various parts of the campus.

That will be my other major. Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-08-2014, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 09:01 PM by ghostexorcist.)
I haven't been a big fan of my time in college. I never got the "full experience" because I didn't live in the dorms. I've lived off campus the entire time. In addition, I've been anti-social (colloquial usage, not clinical) for many years and avoided hanging out with any peers outside of class. I'm now regretting this since I'm nearing the end of my time as an undergrad. I don't have a single college friend to speak of. My advice is get involved in something. It will expand your social circle.

Most of what I know has come from private study. This fact bothers me since I've paid a lot of money to get my degree. Once I graduate, my diploma will only show that I mastered a given curriculum. If you plan on going to grad school, my advice is to take what you most likely will learn in private study and apply it to an extracurricular project associated with your degree. This will make you a more attractive prospect.

Have you decided on a major yet? Sorry if you've already mentioned it. I haven't read the entire thread.

Never mind. I see that you are doing "computer science and programming."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post