YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 05:35 AM
RE: YA BOY IS GOING TO COLLEGE
(20-08-2014 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:01 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Living on campus would put you in a situation where you would be forced to socialize. This is something that I regret not doing over the last 4 years.

So there is a projected decrease in levels of forced social interaction by off-campus students as opposed the that of their on-campus counterparts?

If you live off campus, the only time you will have forced social interaction is during school hours. Living on campus would insure that you see your classmates outside of class. Then again, it really helps to go into college knowing people beforehand. Friends would introduce you to a wider social circle. I didn't know anyone at my university when I first started, and I still don't technically know anyone a part from a few professors and some class acquaintances.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 08:20 AM
You could join clubs or groups for things that interest you and meet people that way. Even if you're not extremely social, it can be beneficial to have some connections later on.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
20-08-2014, 08:29 AM
(19-08-2014 09:34 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I can already tell I'm going to be very overwhelmed and stressed for the first couple of weeks. My English class seems like smooth sailing so far. My speech class will require lots of online work. My orientation with require lots of online work as well, and I have a ways to go in progressing math wise.

From 3 to 5:30 I sat around campus starving and after my math class, my mom was supposed to come and pick me up but couldn't because she didn't know where the college was. So she went home, and I was stuck on campus until 9:20pm waiting on a friend to come and get me.

Luckily, I may be able to go home with a friend some days, I have a friend who I can go out for lunch with between 3 and 5:30, and I had a friend bring me powdered doughnuts, a banana, a coke and some popcorn before my math class because I had hardly eaten anything. I was a cheered up camper.

I came home with a major headache and my sister's dog had shit in my room.

That is a lot of adjustment you have in front of you but you'll be fine. You have the intelligence and the maturuity to deal with it all.

If you need help with math, I think getting to a tutor sooner rather than later will help. I tutored math and accounting. When people came to us when they started having problems it was eaiser to get them up to speed. Please don't be the one that comes in 3 days before finals and says "I'm having a problem with this course" and then proceeds to open the text to chapter 1.

I have faith in you.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
20-08-2014, 04:04 PM
(20-08-2014 05:35 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 05:15 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So there is a projected decrease in levels of forced social interaction by off-campus students as opposed the that of their on-campus counterparts?

If you live off campus, the only time you will have forced social interaction is during school hours. Living on campus would insure that you see your classmates outside of class. Then again, it really helps to go into college knowing people beforehand. Friends would introduce you to a wider social circle. I didn't know anyone at my university when I first started, and I still don't technically know anyone a part from a few professors and some class acquaintances.

To be honest, that restricted forced social time seems like a major bonus to me considering how... Uncomfortable... I am when interacting with others (out side of maybe three or four close associates... and two teachers).

And I do know two people attending the university, but I doubt I'll ever see them again; caught them both once this year and haven't seen them since. I got one's phone number but it seems it's no longer his...

(20-08-2014 08:20 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  You could join clubs or groups for things that interest you and meet people that way. Even if you're not extremely social, it can be beneficial to have some connections later on.

I haven't heard of any club I'd care to join, as if making such a move would be possible for me to begin with.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-08-2014, 04:25 PM
(20-08-2014 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I haven't heard of any club I'd care to join, as if making such a move would be possible for me to begin with.

Rolleyes Get your ass out the door and go find one. Something you've never considered before. Hiking club changed my life at uni. But there are lots to choose from.

Social stuff... it depends on if you're happy where you are now, not being very social, or if you want to be able to socialize with people. If you *do* want to socialize then a club is a good way to meet people and do things together that you all enjoy - you will make friends easier that way.

But another important thing is to use uni/college time as a time to really expand your horizons. If you do the same old stuff you've always done... you're missing out on an opportunity...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
20-08-2014, 04:27 PM
(20-08-2014 04:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I haven't heard of any club I'd care to join, as if making such a move would be possible for me to begin with.

Rolleyes Get your ass out the door and go find one. Something you've never considered before. Hiking club changed my life at uni. But there are lots to choose from.

Social stuff... it depends on if you're happy where you are now, not being very social, or if you want to be able to socialize with people. If you *do* want to socialize then a club is a good way to meet people and do things together that you all enjoy - you will make friends easier that way.

But another important thing is to use uni/college time as a time to really expand your horizons. If you do the same old stuff you've always done... you're missing out on an opportunity...

... I'm not much a of hiking person. More of a roam around aimlessly kinda person. Consider

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I feel pretty overwhelmed and I'm a bit nervous to take on tomorrow. One of the books I need tomorrow I still haven't gotten. I rented it, but they didn't have it in stock yet so they're supposed to call me tomorrow. I just hope they call me early enough because the class I need the book for it at 2.

Also I should be getting my laptop and office pro programs this Friday. I get a discount via a friend who works at TSYS, and I get office pro for $10. That will be very helpful seeing as a lot of my assignments are online, and I already have homework for an essay for my English class.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Social life isn't really an issue for me. I have a small group of friends that I'm content with, and not eager to expand. Unfortunately, once I get a job my social life may become a bit thin.

Sad

Growing up is awful.
20-08-2014, 04:39 PM
(20-08-2014 04:29 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I feel pretty overwhelmed and I'm a bit nervous to take on tomorrow. One of the books I need tomorrow I still haven't gotten. I rented it, but they didn't have it in stock yet so they're supposed to call me tomorrow. I just hope they call me early enough because the class I need the book for it at 2.

Also I should be getting my laptop and office pro programs this Friday. I get a discount via a friend who works at TSYS, and I get office pro for $10. That will be very helpful seeing as a lot of my assignments are online, and I already have homework for an essay for my English class.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Social life isn't really an issue for me. I have a small group of friends that I'm content with, and not eager to expand. Unfortunately, once I get a job my social life may become a bit thin.

Sad

Growing up is awful.

I sympathize, but it really isn't awful. You are in the transition zone - it's uncomfortable there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-08-2014, 04:46 PM
(20-08-2014 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 04:29 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I feel pretty overwhelmed and I'm a bit nervous to take on tomorrow. One of the books I need tomorrow I still haven't gotten. I rented it, but they didn't have it in stock yet so they're supposed to call me tomorrow. I just hope they call me early enough because the class I need the book for it at 2.

Fuck fuck fuck.

Sad

Growing up is awful.

I sympathize, but it really isn't awful. You are in the transition zone - it's uncomfortable there.

It's definitely going to take some time to get used to. Sad
20-08-2014, 05:15 PM
(20-08-2014 04:46 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  I sympathize, but it really isn't awful. You are in the transition zone - it's uncomfortable there.

It's definitely going to take some time to get used to. Sad

Yes - that it will. However, there are good times involved, too. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post