YEC explanation for traveling light.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2012, 07:35 PM
RE: YEC explanation for traveling light.
(13-01-2012 06:16 PM)Ben Wrote:  One of the more creative arguments I've heard is called "C Decay." It basically just says that the speed of light c used to be much higher, maybe even infinite, but has since slowed to the 3.0e+8 that we know today.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/C-decay

Hey, you can't say they're not creative! Wink

Hmmm, if the light slowed down, that would give a massive blue shift instead of the red shift we see, but facts never seem to get in the way of a good story.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-01-2012, 09:07 PM
(13-01-2012 07:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2012 06:16 PM)Ben Wrote:  One of the more creative arguments I've heard is called "C Decay." It basically just says that the speed of light c used to be much higher, maybe even infinite, but has since slowed to the 3.0e+8 that we know today.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/C-decay

Hey, you can't say they're not creative! Wink

Hmmm, if the light slowed down, that would give a massive blue shift instead of the red shift we see, but facts never seem to get in the way of a good story.

God is color blind.

I'm pretty sure I used that in a sermon a time or two.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
18-01-2012, 02:06 PM
My next question would be why did God advance the light to appear 13 billion years old?

And they say something like "To test your faith".

And then I ask why does he test our faith.

And they say something like "It's God's will"

And I ask why it is God's will.

And they claim that we can't always understand God's will. (basically the same as saying I Don't Know)

And I of course tell them that if they don't know then nothing they say is anything but speculation and guessing. Therefore invalid.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like germanyt's post
20-01-2012, 01:18 PM
(18-01-2012 02:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  My next question would be why did God advance the light to appear 13 billion years old?

And they claim that we can't always understand God's will. (basically the same as saying I Don't Know)

And I of course tell them that if they don't know then nothing they say is anything but speculation and guessing. Therefore invalid.

No matter what the question, if you keep asking "why", the person will eventually reach a place where they don't know the answer.

Spend time with a 5 year-old and you'll find this out pretty quickly.

James 1:27
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world"

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist." C.S. Lewis
[+] 1 user Likes Sharks9's post
20-01-2012, 03:15 PM
(20-01-2012 01:18 PM)Sharks9 Wrote:  
(18-01-2012 02:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  My next question would be why did God advance the light to appear 13 billion years old?

No matter what the question, if you keep asking "why", the person will eventually reach a place where they don't know the answer.

Spend time with a 5 year-old and you'll find this out pretty quickly.

Sure, but the religious get to that point sooner.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2012, 12:31 PM
YEC answer:
What is light?

Evolve
22-01-2012, 09:34 PM
This is the bloody Dinosaur argument all over again.
The YEC is presented with evidence that clearly shows the falsity their 6-10 thousand year old idea of the earth ( I wont dignify it by calling it a hypothesis) and then they either:

a) Claim the evidence is a fabrication
b) Create hokey pseudoscience to make the evidence fit their model
c) Claim that their God deliberately shaped the universe in such a way as to appear old

From my experience the YEC will almost always fall back to these 3 base arguments, if you can call them arguments.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 1 user Likes Dunhill808's post
23-01-2012, 12:29 PM
(13-01-2012 03:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The recent experiments that prove sub-atomic particles can travel faster than light have been used by some YEC to claim that the universe is much younger than science suggests. They believe this is because, if light can travel faster than originally thought, it would reach our eyes sooner, hence a younger universe. However, they fail to realize that experiment only applies to the quantum level.

That hasn't been proven at all. Most scientists say it is an error. It also wasn't light traveling faster than 300k miles a second, it was neutrinos that arrived 60 nanoseconds faster than light.

Still, this does nothing to undermine evolutionary theory. Life still evolves.
23-01-2012, 12:36 PM
(23-01-2012 12:29 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  
(13-01-2012 03:12 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The recent experiments that prove sub-atomic particles can travel faster than light have been used by some YEC to claim that the universe is much younger than science suggests. They believe this is because, if light can travel faster than originally thought, it would reach our eyes sooner, hence a younger universe. However, they fail to realize that experiment only applies to the quantum level.

That hasn't been proven at all. Most scientists say it is an error. It also wasn't light traveling faster than 300k miles a second, it was neutrinos that arrived 60 nanoseconds faster than light.

You'd think the fact that there is no vaccine or cure for the common cold would be enough to convince non evolutionists.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
23-01-2012, 12:44 PM
(23-01-2012 12:36 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 12:29 PM)Jasrace Wrote:  

You'd think the fact that there is no vaccine or cure for the common cold would be enough to convince non evolutionists.

Or that there is a new influenza vaccine every year.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post