YES IT IS APT to compare Trump to WW2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2017, 03:29 AM
RE: YES IT IS APT to compare Trump to WW2
(02-01-2017 02:54 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 02:13 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Life is more complicated than Murphy Laws or some mutation of them.

Tell that to Maxentius. Big Grin

I'm not in habit of speaking to the dead.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 06:56 AM by Deesse23.)
The best comparison , and its a much more recent person in much more comparable circumstance, would probably be Silvio Berlusconi.

A billionaire, who had no respect for women was unfaithful and famus for sex-parties (bung-bunga), was clearly full of himself, was trying to financially benefit from his own presidency, had massive conflicts of interests (being owner of Italys biggest media empire), has legal issues with his businesses (got sentenced in 2013 for...tax fraud), gave the impression of a clown/buffoon to more educated people, his politics was centered around right wing populism (he claimed to fight "communism" when he campaigned for the first time, and the "commies" he was fighting were a center-left coalition Facepalm )

Heres a little quiz: spot the narcissist buffoon
[Image: Chirac_Bush_Blair_Berlusconi.jpg]

Check out his political career, his (empty) promises, his close ties to Putin, and his fate.

If anything, this is what i am going to predict is gonna happen to the US. Not quite as bad as Mussolini, Göring or Hitler, but embarassing nevertheless. When i think back of those times (the 2000s) Berlusconi was an utter embarassment to Italy, who, in effect, accomplished nothing but finally unite enough people against him.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
(02-01-2017 03:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The best comparison , and its a much more recent person in much more comparable circumstance, would probably be Silvio Berlusconi.

I read it. Eerily similar.

(02-01-2017 03:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Heres a little quiz: spot the narcissist buffoon

Italians shouldn't smile. It frightens people.

#sigh
02-01-2017, 06:32 AM
(02-01-2017 05:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 03:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The best comparison , and its a much more recent person in much more comparable circumstance, would probably be Silvio Berlusconi.

(02-01-2017 03:47 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Heres a little quiz: spot the narcissist buffoon

He was more intelligent and educated though, wasn't he?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-01-2017, 06:57 AM
(02-01-2017 05:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I tried to avoid the "greasy little Italian" stereotype Angel
...it was hard though. Blush

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
02-01-2017, 07:16 AM
(02-01-2017 06:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 05:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I read it. Eerily similar.

He was more intelligent and educated though, wasn't he?

Frankly, i dont know, but he did nothing at all during these times to make this impression. If hes intelligent and educated, then he is really good at hiding it.

What he had, was having a bigger conflict of interest than even Trump has. Berlusconi was (is?) the owner of a significant portion of Italys TV stations and printed media. Imagine that in Trumps case. Big Grin

There is even a political term named after him: Berlusconism

Quote:A number of writers and political commentators consider Berlusconi's political success a precedent for the 2016 election of real estate tycoon Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States, with most noting Berlusconi's panned Prime Minister tenure and therefore making the comparison in dismay. Roger Cohen of The New York Times argued, "Widely ridiculed, endlessly written about, long unscathed by his evident misogyny and diverse legal travails, Berlusconi proved a Teflon politician [...] Nobody who knows Berlusconi and has watched the rise and rise of Donald Trump can fail to be struck by the parallels."

In The Daily Beast, Barbie Latza Nadeau wrote, "If Americans are wondering just what a Trump presidency would look like, they only need to look at the traumatized remains of Italy after Berlusconi had his way

No, the US certainly doesnt compare to Germany in the late 20s, but how about Italy in the mid 90s, after seriously being disappointed by the corrupt governments they had, mainly Andreotti (with the mob having ties to the very top).

02-01-2017, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 08:31 AM by Dom.)
(02-01-2017 07:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Berlusconi was (is?) the owner of a significant portion of Italys TV stations and printed media. Imagine that in Trumps case. Big Grin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...65621.html

Quote:Vanity Fair reported earlier this year that Mr Trump was planning to launch a media business after the presidential election. He hoped to to be able to use the supporters of his bid for president to build an audience quickly for the TV station, Sarah Ellison reported.
“Trump is indeed considering creating his own media business, built on the audience that has supported him thus far in his bid to become the next president of the United States,” she wrote. “According to several people briefed on the discussions, the presumptive Republican nominee is examining the opportunity presented by the “audience” currently supporting him.”

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-01-2017, 08:36 AM
(02-01-2017 07:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 07:16 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Berlusconi was (is?) the owner of a significant portion of Italys TV stations and printed media. Imagine that in Trumps case. Big Grin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...65621.html

Oh, and while we are comparing the two, i admit that Berlusconi reminds me of your predictions of Trumps behaviour. Dont think that Berlusconi was embarassed in the least when all the misogyny and even paying prostitutes bacame public. It was all about him, all about the attention, there is no such thing as "bad PR", he thought of himself as a *stud*. Only when it turned out that one of the prostitutes was 17, thats when he probably got concerned.

And dont think he didnt have substantial support within the italian population, even after all this came out. In the last election in 2013, Berlusconis party still had 30%!

02-01-2017, 09:05 AM
(02-01-2017 08:36 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Oh, and while we are comparing the two, i admit that Berlusconi reminds me of your predictions of Trumps behaviour. Dont think that Berlusconi was embarassed in the least when all the misogyny and even paying prostitutes bacame public. It was all about him, all about the attention, there is no such thing as "bad PR", he thought of himself as a *stud*. Only when it turned out that one of the prostitutes was 17, thats when he probably got concerned.

And dont think he didnt have substantial support within the italian population, even after all this came out. In the last election in 2013, Berlusconis party still had 30%!

So basically a caricature of Trump. To the extent that's even imaginable. Great.

#sigh
02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
(02-01-2017 09:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 08:36 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Oh, and while we are comparing the two, i admit that Berlusconi reminds me of your predictions of Trumps behaviour. Dont think that Berlusconi was embarassed in the least when all the misogyny and even paying prostitutes bacame public. It was all about him, all about the attention, there is no such thing as "bad PR", he thought of himself as a *stud*. Only when it turned out that one of the prostitutes was 17, thats when he probably got concerned.

So basically a caricature of Trump. To the extent that's even imaginable. Great.

I see it the other way around - I think Trump will take it to another level. He has zero filters on every level.