YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THIS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2011, 05:47 AM
YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THIS!
Hi everyone, I have just watched an excellent documentary on the historical Jesus and the early church. It is on youtube in 6 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3DfS3Of88

It looks to be 30-40 years old, and the quality ain't that great.....but.....wow......does it nail home some great points! For anyone remotely interested in the history it is fabulous viewing.

There is a lot of info left out....such as the story of the Nazarenes and how they fought tooth and nail against Paul, and they get the gnostics and Marcion a bit confused....but .....someone has put in a lot of effort to put this together. As a student of the history of the times I was rivetted!

If you have a few spare hours have a look.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2011, 09:21 AM
RE: YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THIS!
Thanks for posting this. I watched the first episode and whilst I had heard many of these arguments before it was good to see them put together in an accessible form. The programme comes over as pretty unbiased which is nice and comes to the conclusion that Jesus did exist but evidence for a lot of the stories that surrounded his life was threadbare and could be traced back to the old testament and other myths circulating at the time. I would have liked to see more evidence that Jesus didn't actually exist at all but the programme could only find one scholar extolling this view.
I'll watch the other episodes later.
Find all posts by this user
15-09-2011, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 04:29 PM by Joe Bloe.)
Thanks Mark, I've just had a quick glance at a couple of snippets here and there, and it looks pretty good - plenty of facts and not a scrap of "fundamentalist woo" in sight. I've downloaded all six episodes and will watch them later today. Thanks again for the information.

I tried to find more details about the series (producer, director, etc) but so far, nothing!

Added a few hours later:

In the first video we see Dennis Nineham with superimposed text listing him as:

Rev. Prof Dennis Nineham
New Testament Studies
Bristol University

And according to Wikipedia
"Between 1980 and 1986, he was Professor of Theology and head of the theology department at the University of Bristol"

So it looks like the documentary was made during that period.

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
Find all posts by this user
15-09-2011, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 04:32 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(15-09-2011 09:21 AM)Lwio Wrote:  Thanks for posting this. I watched the first episode and whilst I had heard many of these arguments before it was good to see them put together in an accessible form. The programme comes over as pretty unbiased which is nice and comes to the conclusion that Jesus did exist but evidence for a lot of the stories that surrounded his life was threadbare and could be traced back to the old testament and other myths circulating at the time. I would have liked to see more evidence that Jesus didn't actually exist at all but the programme could only find one scholar extolling this view.
I'll watch the other episodes later.

It actually gets better as it progresses

(15-09-2011 02:14 PM)Joe Bloe Wrote:  Thanks Mark, I've just had a quick glance at a couple of snippets here and there, and it looks pretty good - plenty of facts and not a scrap of "fundamentalist woo" in sight. I've downloaded all six episodes and will watch them later today. Thanks again for the information.

I tried to find more details about the series (producer, director, etc) but so far, nothing!

Added a few hours later:

In the first video we see Dennis Nineham with superimposed text listing him as:

Rev. Prof Dennis Nineham
New Testament Studies
Bristol University

And according to Wikipedia
"Between 1980 and 1986, he was Professor of Theology and head of the theology department at the University of Bristol"

So it looks like the documentary was made during that period.

Ok...thanks for that info
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user