YOUR FOSSILS - Official or Favorites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 10:44 AM
YOUR FOSSILS - Official or Favorites
My US state - Kansas - is crawling with fossils. During the late Cretaceous period, Kansas was covered by ocean and one can literally walk out into nearly any open pasture and hunt for sea shells.

Recently the state of Kansas named two fossils to be the "Official State Fossils" and I think they chose well. Both of these animals either swam around here or flew the skies over the ocean and many of their remains are commonly dug up in the Kansas landscape.

The avian reptile Pteranodon was a giant with a pointed beak and a wingspan of up to about 25 feet!
[Image: Pteranodon_amnh_martyniuk.jpg]
It soared the skies and dived in the ocean for it's food.
[Image: nh_pteranodon.jpg]

While Pteranodon ruled the skies, Tylosaurus ruled the sea.
[Image: vp3-8.jpg]
Running about 45 feet in length, Tylosaurus was a ferocious marine predator with an alligator like muzzle, fish like fins, and a long sweeping tail.
[Image: tylosaurs.jpg]

So, is your state or country especially proud of the fossils found in your part of the world? Perhaps you have a particular fondness for one or two found in your vicinity? If you know the name and can find a pic - please acquaint us! It can even be a PLANT FOSSIL - I happen to be extremely fond of ferns and fern fossils but I figured my state's reptile fossils are enough showing off .... for now. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-06-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: YOUR FOSSILS - Official or Favorites
Greece sucks at fossils No

I hope someday I'll be able to visit a museum with big dino ones. I went to this dino exhibition about a year ago with fossils that were transferred there just for the exhibition (at least I hope they were the actual ones; I touched fossilized poop Smile ). I almost cried.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
04-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Ecphora
The shell of an extinct snail, Ecphora gardnerae gardnerae, has been the Maryland State Fossil Shell since 1994. Five million years ago, they inhabited the tidal waters around what we now call the Chesapeake Bay.

[Image: fossil.gif]

[Image: 960x850]

[Image: fs6.gif]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Back home the only fossils I ever found were some brachiopods in the limestone. That's... not quite the most interesting thing going. Across the lake in New York they named sea scorpions their state fossil, but Ontario doesn't have such a thing.

Up here there are no fossils.

... this is my signature!
04-06-2014, 11:24 AM
(04-06-2014 11:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ---
I touched fossilized poop Smile ). I almost cried.

I know what you mean! Thumbsup
It is amazing to touch something and think... that was alive millions of years ago. It seems to hold a tremendous connection to how far we've evolved!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2014, 11:26 AM
(04-06-2014 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Up here there are no fossils.

Huh. Consider Not even plants?

04-06-2014, 11:31 AM
(04-06-2014 11:24 AM)kim Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  ---
I touched fossilized poop Smile ). I almost cried.

I know what you mean! Thumbsup
It is amazing to touch something and think... that was alive millions of years ago. It seems to hold a tremendous connection to how far we've evolved!

Yes! I was so excited about it!
Sadly, only a few people can relate to that. I was with my boyfriend and I kept telling him "Come on, touch it! This is what's left from something that a dino once ate and then pooped!" and he was like "But... it's poop!"
Dodgy

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
04-06-2014, 11:35 AM
(04-06-2014 11:26 AM)kim Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Up here there are no fossils.

Huh. Consider Not even plants?

Nope. The old shield rock is about 2 billion years old, and the core of it hasn't been coastal during any of the intervening time. There were bacteria in the water and stromatolites on the coasts by then, but inland was a desert of rock. And because it's been above sea level and volcanically inactive, there's been very little deposition over top of the exposed base, and what little there was was scraped away in the last glacial epoch.

So no fossils. Just a lot of very, very, old rocks.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-06-2014, 11:35 AM
EDIT: double post, my internet at the office is flaky sometimes

04-06-2014, 11:54 AM
(04-06-2014 11:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  -----
--- and what little there was was scraped away in the last glacial epoch.

So no fossils. Just a lot of very, very, old rocks.

Glaciers. Yea- they can really push the stuff around - really big stuff, too. Many of the giant boulders and rock formations around where I live, were pushed there by glacier activity.

That kind of glacier activity... Consider ... almost makes me see the entire earth as one big fossil where the evidence of an action is all that remains.