YOUR FOSSILS - Official or Favorites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: YOUR FOSSILS - Official or Favorites
(04-06-2014 11:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Greece sucks at fossils No

I hope someday I'll be able to visit a museum with big dino ones. I went to this dino exhibition about a year ago with fossils that were transferred there just for the exhibition (at least I hope they were the actual ones; I touched fossilized poop Smile ). I almost cried.

[Image: image_history001.jpg]

http://www.livescience.com/28326-neander...found.html

Sorry just trying to help.Undecided

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2014, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 05:14 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
(04-06-2014 11:09 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Greece sucks at fossils No

I hope someday I'll be able to visit a museum with big dino ones. I went to this dino exhibition about a year ago with fossils that were transferred there just for the exhibition (at least I hope they were the actual ones; I touched fossilized poop Smile ). I almost cried.

museums are awesome. I was in greece once, but don't remember much of it...I was....a bit involved in amazing wine and fine dining at the time Unsure there may have been some shenanigans I can't repeat here Blush Blink

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
[Image: 640px-Darwinius_masillae_PMO_214.214.jpg]

[Image: 640px-Darwiniusfig-s62cropped.jpg]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messel_pit

Which should be pritty close to where Vosur lives if I am not mistaken (Frankfurt), so about 20-30 miles.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Did they ever find a fossil of moses?Laughat

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
04-06-2014, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 08:11 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Here's the California state fossils.

[Image: suzanne_somers_5596837.jpg]

[Image: bruce_jenner.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
(04-06-2014 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Back home the only fossils I ever found were some brachiopods in the limestone. That's... not quite the most interesting thing going. Across the lake in New York they named sea scorpions their state fossil, but Ontario doesn't have such a thing.

Up here there are no fossils.

If by 'here' you mean Sudbury - no shit, they were pulverized by a meteor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
(04-06-2014 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Back home the only fossils I ever found were some brachiopods in the limestone. That's... not quite the most interesting thing going. Across the lake in New York they named sea scorpions their state fossil, but Ontario doesn't have such a thing.

Up here there are no fossils.

If by 'here' you mean Sudbury - no shit, they were pulverized by a meteor.

The impact is certainly recent, as these things go; ~35 Mya IIRC. But the basal rock is nonetheless bereft of fossils, seeing as how no inland species existed when it was formed...

... this is my signature!
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Well, it's not the most exciting fossil out there, but it is a classic in it's own right.

[Image: Phacops_rana.jpg]

Phacops Rana, a trilobite of the mid-late Devoronian period.

Hooray for Pennsylvania?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
04-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Typical Atheists, photo shopping the human foot prints out of them all.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
04-06-2014, 10:56 PM
(04-06-2014 10:44 AM)kim Wrote:  My US state - Kansas - is crawling with fossils. During the late Cretaceous period, Kansas was covered by ocean and one can literally walk out into nearly any open pasture and hunt for sea shells.

Recently the state of Kansas named two fossils to be the "Official State Fossils" and I think they chose well. Both of these animals either swam around here or flew the skies over the ocean and many of their remains are commonly dug up in the Kansas landscape.

The avian reptile Pteranodon was a giant with a pointed beak and a wingspan of up to about 25 feet!
[Image: Pteranodon_amnh_martyniuk.jpg]
It soared the skies and dived in the ocean for it's food.
[Image: nh_pteranodon.jpg]

While Pteranodon ruled the skies, Tylosaurus ruled the sea.
[Image: vp3-8.jpg]
Running about 45 feet in length, Tylosaurus was a ferocious marine predator with an alligator like muzzle, fish like fins, and a long sweeping tail.
[Image: tylosaurs.jpg]

So, is your state or country especially proud of the fossils found in your part of the world? Perhaps you have a particular fondness for one or two found in your vicinity? If you know the name and can find a pic - please acquaint us! It can even be a PLANT FOSSIL - I happen to be extremely fond of ferns and fern fossils but I figured my state's reptile fossils are enough showing off .... for now. Wink

I remember reading that in Australia, there are certain areas where loads of fossils have been found of many creatures.
I looked for a South Australian discovery, but I couldn't find something to all my own Sates'.

As such, I have settled with what is probably the most Australian thing the average relatively educated person might think of outside of a Kangaroo.

Diprotodon; the Giant Wombat.
[Image: 250px-Diprotodon_australis_skeleton_1.JPG]

Diprotodon fossils have been found throughout mainland Australia, some females have even been found with babies in their pouches apparently.
It stood a few inches higher at the tallest point of it's back than a human, and is believed to be the inspiration for some of the Bunyip stories created by Aboriginal tribes; having seemed to have died off shortly after the arrival of humans around 50,000 years ago.

Oh, and Kim, you said your Pteranodon ruled the skies?
That honour goes to Quetzalcoatlus.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post