Ya Gotta love Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Ya Gotta love Bill Maher
"I don't know where everything came from and I don't know why there is something instead of nothing, and that means you don't know either." - Bill Maher -
Maher is the only comedien I know who has succeded in enraging both Theists and Atheists at the same time. But my favorite comedien is Jay Leno. After a Nebraska State Legislature sued God in a Nebraska Court for all the Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Earthquakes that have happened, Leno quipped: "Is this fair to God. God lives in Heaven. Where's he going to find a lawyer?" Anyway, Buddhists believe that the Nature of God is unknowable. Even well known Atheists such as Issac Asimov and Bertrand Russell admitted that the existence of God or the nature of his existence if he does exist - is unknowable. But to the Theist who unequivically states 'There is a God' and to the Atheist who unequivically states that there is no God - I respect your faith and your religous views. Whenever I state that Atheism is a Religion, I usually only get one rebuttal which I call the Tooth Fairy rebuttal. Atheists will state: 'I can't prove or disprove the existence of the Tooth Fairy. But until I'm shown positive proof that he exists, I'm safe in saying that the Tooth Fairy does not exist. Well, you can stay outside your Kid's bedroom all night and when the Tooth Fairy doesn't show, state that he does not exist. You can't go back to the moment of the Big Bang and from outside the Universe state: 'I was there at the Big Bang and I can unequivically state that the cause of the Big Bang was not a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being. From my observation point I can tell you with certainty that it was Spontaneous Creation.' Skeptics such as Michael Shermer believe that if God did not require being created, logic dictates that the Universe did not either. The only problem with that is that the Universe is composed of Matter, Space, Time, Energy and Gravity - all of which require being created. Consciousness is a mystery. If you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics you believe that Consciousness created matter. A Supreme Consciousness may well indeed not have needed being created. To those who state that the Human Brain is so complicated that 'Awareness', 'Consciousness' somehow arose - I'd like to point out that the word SOMEHOW is always used by these Reductionists and the use of that word to explain Consciousness brings out a lot of philosophical problems/questions. Read Immanuel Kant's 'Critique Of Pure Reason' and his proofs for 'A Priori Reasoning'.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 09:31 PM
RE: Ya Gotta love Bill Maher
(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  "I don't know where everything came from and I don't know why there is something instead of nothing, and that means you don't know either." - Bill Maher -
Maher is the only comedien I know who has succeded in enraging both Theists and Atheists at the same time. But my favorite comedien is Jay Leno. After a Nebraska State Legislature sued God in a Nebraska Court for all the Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Earthquakes that have happened, Leno quipped: "Is this fair to God. God lives in Heaven. Where's he going to find a lawyer?" Anyway, Buddhists believe that the Nature of God is unknowable. Even well known Atheists such as Issac Asimov and Bertrand Russell admitted that the existence of God or the nature of his existence if he does exist - is unknowable. But to the Theist who unequivically states 'There is a God' and to the Atheist who unequivically states that there is no God - I respect your faith and your religous views. Whenever I state that Atheism is a Religion, I usually only get one rebuttal which I call the Tooth Fairy rebuttal. Atheists will state: 'I can't prove or disprove the existence of the Tooth Fairy. But until I'm shown positive proof that he exists, I'm safe in saying that the Tooth Fairy does not exist. Well, you can stay outside your Kid's bedroom all night and when the Tooth Fairy doesn't show, state that he does not exist. You can't go back to the moment of the Big Bang and from outside the Universe state: 'I was there at the Big Bang and I can unequivically state that the cause of the Big Bang was not a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being. From my observation point I can tell you with certainty that it was Spontaneous Creation.' Skeptics such as Michael Shermer believe that if God did not require being created, logic dictates that the Universe did not either. The only problem with that is that the Universe is composed of Matter, Space, Time, Energy and Gravity - all of which require being created. Consciousness is a mystery. If you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics you believe that Consciousness created matter. A Supreme Consciousness may well indeed not have needed being created. To those who state that the Human Brain is so complicated that 'Awareness', 'Consciousness' somehow arose - I'd like to point out that the word SOMEHOW is always used by these Reductionists and the use of that word to explain Consciousness brings out a lot of philosophical problems/questions. Read Immanuel Kant's 'Critique Of Pure Reason' and his proofs for 'A Priori Reasoning'.

You continue to mischaracterize atheism. Try actually reading the responses you get this time. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm an antitheist... but I've got a banging headache, and so apatheism is looking very attractive right now.

So here, in this moment, with this headache... I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Artist's impression of his holiness The Flying Fuck Monster...

[Image: 7552907244_812edcba74_z.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
12-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I gotta say, Buddhist Alternative. You are continuing to make - not such a great impression, shall we say. It's like, are you even trying?

Do you think this shitty, warmed-over, half-assed, tired old trolling will accomplish anything? 'Cause that bird won't sing. We ripped out its vocal cords and fed them to the dogs. Don't make us do the same to you.

Well; here we go. Time to plunge face-first into this cesspit of fatuous chicanery!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  "I don't know where everything came from and I don't know why there is something instead of nothing, and that means you don't know either." - Bill Maher -
Maher is the only comedien I know who has succeded in enraging both Theists and Atheists at the same time.

Premise: Bill Maher doesn't know something.
Conclusion: nobody knows something.
That's... something, all right, but it ain't logic.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  But my favorite comedien is Jay Leno.

Good for you!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  After a Nebraska State Legislature sued God in a Nebraska Court for all the Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Earthquakes that have happened, Leno quipped: "Is this fair to God. God lives in Heaven. Where's he going to find a lawyer?"

Here are some more jokes: married people are unhappy! Black people are different from white people! The DMV has bad service!

Don't worry, I'm here all week. Try the buffet.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Anyway, Buddhists believe that the Nature of God is unknowable.

Good for you!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Even well known Atheists such as Issac Asimov and Bertrand Russell admitted that the existence of God or the nature of his existence if he does exist - is unknowable.

Yes. Please learn why they said that.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  But to the Theist who unequivically states 'There is a God'

I think you'll also find one very important detail separating theists from your otherwise pantheists or deists. They think God is knowable. That's, like, the definition of theism.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  and to the Atheist who unequivically states that there is no God...

First: define God coherently. I dare you. Second: find me someone who claims that. I double dog dare you.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  I respect your faith and your religous views.

Respect, condescension; it was all the same to ol' Gautama, right?

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Whenever I state that Atheism is a Religion, I usually only get one rebuttal which I call the Tooth Fairy rebuttal.

Oh, this sounds good.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Atheists will state: 'I can't prove or disprove the existence of the Tooth Fairy. But until I'm shown positive proof that he exists, I'm safe in saying that the Tooth Fairy does not exist. Well, you can stay outside your Kid's bedroom all night and when the Tooth Fairy doesn't show, state that he does not exist.

That's... not what proof means. That's corroborating evidence that he doesn't, in fact, exist. Are you going somewhere with this?

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  You can't go back to the moment of the Big Bang and from outside the Universe state: 'I was there at the Big Bang and I can unequivically state that the cause of the Big Bang was not a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being...

You don't seem to think. Ever.

No one "was there". It's not like there's no evidence around. But then, all you'll find of rationalists is that they, indeed, say that the don't know what happened. They also say that they don't believe anyone who says they do know. Funny, that.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  From my observation point I can tell you with certainty that it was Spontaneous Creation.'

"Spontaneous", eh? Find me a person who ever made such a claim. It's okay; I'll wait.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Skeptics such as Michael Shermer believe that if God did not require being created, logic dictates that the Universe did not either.

This is called Ockham's Razor. You may have heard of it.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  The only problem with that is that the Universe is composed of Matter, Space, Time, Energy and Gravity

This is called misunderstanding physics.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  - all of which require being created.

... and this is called, "pulling shit from your ass and calling it truth".

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Consciousness is a mystery.

Not really. We know more about it all the time.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  If you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics you believe that Consciousness created matter.

Ah - we're back to misunderstanding physics!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  A Supreme Consciousness may well indeed not have needed being created.

Protip: that grammar is simply awful. Dear me.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  To those who state that the Human Brain is so complicated that 'Awareness', 'Consciousness' somehow arose - I'd like to point out that the word SOMEHOW is always used by these Reductionists and the use of that word to explain Consciousness brings out a lot of philosophical problems/questions.

"Somehow", eh?

Don't leave us hanging in the breeze like the drool from your unwashed gums, elaborate on those philosophical problems/questions. And tell me literally one single person whose stance on consciousness amounts to "it just somehow arose", while you're at it.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Read Immanuel Kant's 'Critique Of Pure Reason' and his proofs for 'A Priori Reasoning'.

Read literally anything having to do with either: 1) atheism; 2) physics; 3) forming coherent arguments; 4) text formatting.

Thumbsup

We're done here.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
12-09-2013, 10:16 PM
I was all excited cause Bill...

Then I remembered that you are a:

[Image: 1.png]
[Image: an0n-green-fan-1-card-trick.jpg]
[Image: pink-my-little-pony.gif]

[+] 3 users Like ridethespiral's post
12-09-2013, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 11:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  If you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics you believe that Consciousness created matter. A Supreme Consciousness ...

More like "realized" or "made manifest" or "collapsing the possibilities" , but yup, that's pretty much's the gist of it. Thumbsup

The real mystery is how is it consciousness can be so inexplicably inextricably intertwined with reality? ... There's your crazy talk. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-09-2013, 11:36 PM
(12-09-2013 10:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I gotta say, Buddhist Alternative. You are continuing to make - not such a great impression, shall we say. It's like, are you even trying?

Do you think this shitty, warmed-over, half-assed, tired old trolling will accomplish anything? 'Cause that bird won't sing. We ripped out its vocal cords and fed them to the dogs. Don't make us do the same to you.

Well; here we go. Time to plunge face-first into this cesspit of fatuous chicanery!

Maher is the only comedien I know who has succeded in enraging both Theists and Atheists at the same time.

Premise: Bill Maher doesn't know something.
Conclusion: nobody knows something.
That's... something, all right, but it ain't logic.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  But my favorite comedien is Jay Leno.

Good for you!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  After a Nebraska State Legislature sued God in a Nebraska Court for all the Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Earthquakes that have happened, Leno quipped: "Is this fair to God. God lives in Heaven. Where's he going to find a lawyer?"

Here are some more jokes: married people are unhappy! Black people are different from white people! The DMV has bad service!

Don't worry, I'm here all week. Try the buffet.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Anyway, Buddhists believe that the Nature of God is unknowable.

Good for you!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Even well known Atheists such as Issac Asimov and Bertrand Russell admitted that the existence of God or the nature of his existence if he does exist - is unknowable.

Yes. Please learn why they said that.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  But to the Theist who unequivically states 'There is a God'

I think you'll also find one very important detail separating theists from your otherwise pantheists or deists. They think God is knowable. That's, like, the definition of theism.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  and to the Atheist who unequivically states that there is no God...

First: define God coherently. I dare you. Second: find me someone who claims that. I double dog dare you.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  I respect your faith and your religous views.

Respect, condescension; it was all the same to ol' Gautama, right?

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Whenever I state that Atheism is a Religion, I usually only get one rebuttal which I call the Tooth Fairy rebuttal.

Oh, this sounds good.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Atheists will state: 'I can't prove or disprove the existence of the Tooth Fairy. But until I'm shown positive proof that he exists, I'm safe in saying that the Tooth Fairy does not exist. Well, you can stay outside your Kid's bedroom all night and when the Tooth Fairy doesn't show, state that he does not exist.

That's... not what proof means. That's corroborating evidence that he doesn't, in fact, exist. Are you going somewhere with this?

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  You can't go back to the moment of the Big Bang and from outside the Universe state: 'I was there at the Big Bang and I can unequivically state that the cause of the Big Bang was not a Supreme Consciousness or Supreme Being...

You don't seem to think. Ever.

No one "was there". It's not like there's no evidence around. But then, all you'll find of rationalists is that they, indeed, say that the don't know what happened. They also say that they don't believe anyone who says they do know. Funny, that.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  From my observation point I can tell you with certainty that it was Spontaneous Creation.'

"Spontaneous", eh? Find me a person who ever made such a claim. It's okay; I'll wait.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Skeptics such as Michael Shermer believe that if God did not require being created, logic dictates that the Universe did not either.

This is called Ockham's Razor. You may have heard of it.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  The only problem with that is that the Universe is composed of Matter, Space, Time, Energy and Gravity

This is called misunderstanding physics.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  - all of which require being created.

... and this is called, "pulling shit from your ass and calling it truth".

Not really. We know more about it all the time.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  If you're a follower of the Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics you believe that Consciousness created matter.

Ah - we're back to misunderstanding physics!

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  A Supreme Consciousness may well indeed not have needed being created.

Protip: that grammar is simply awful. Dear me.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  To those who state that the Human Brain is so complicated that 'Awareness', 'Consciousness' somehow arose - I'd like to point out that the word SOMEHOW is always used by these Reductionists and the use of that word to explain Consciousness brings out a lot of philosophical problems/questions.

"Somehow", eh?

Don't leave us hanging in the breeze like the drool from your unwashed gums, elaborate on those philosophical problems/questions. And tell me literally one single person whose stance on consciousness amounts to "it just somehow arose", while you're at it.

(12-09-2013 08:34 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  Read Immanuel Kant's 'Critique Of Pure Reason' and his proofs for 'A Priori Reasoning'.

Read literally anything having to do with either: 1) atheism; 2) physics; 3) forming coherent arguments; 4) text formatting.

Thumbsup

We're done here.

@ Buddhist Alternative

Since I don't think I can do any better than this (my hats off to cjlr), let me summarize my opinion of your opinion in a more succinct and visual appealing fashion.

[Image: mlfw2542-89342_-_animated_apple_bloom_da...ves_Li.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-09-2013, 12:05 AM
"Buddhists believe that the Nature of God is unknowable" hmmmm ?

The inherent features or characteristics of an imaginary figure are whatever we imagine them to be.
The concept of a god is a human invention and as such, has a very knowable nature.
Perhaps not logical or rational, but definitely knowable.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
13-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I've noticed, you're really shitty at being a Buddhist.

[+] 4 users Like Raptor Jesus's post