Yahoo Mail and mobile devices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Yahoo Mail and mobile devices
This is partly a rant, and partly a question.

Yahoo Mail will not allow anyone to access the full Mail web site from a mobile device, which can include a large tablet, even though the tablet is plenty big enough to render the page. When you go to Yahoo Mail in a browser from a phone or tablet, it takes you to its mobile mail page, which lacks a LOT of the functionality of the full web page.

They want you to use their mobile Mail app, which is so broken it's unusable. When I tried the app two things went wrong: all my custom folders disappeared, and every email I've deleted over the decade I used Yahoo mail reappeared in my in-box, and in the app I can only delete (again) one page of emails at a time. It would have taken me a year, working full time, to delete all those old emails again.

Aside from the fact that all my deleted emails apparently still reside on Yahoo's servers (which doesn't bother me too much because I don't use email for anything sensitive) the reappearance of a gazillion emails makes the app unusable.

I've solved this whole problem by switching to gmail which, though I'm sure plenty of people hate it, too, and probably for good reasons, works for me.

The question part of this is: Does anybody know why Yahoo won't allow a tablet to access the same web site that a desktop or laptop computer gets? I've asked Yahoo, and their answer is "Because we don't allow it." No reasons given. When mobile devices were phones with their tiny screens, I could see sending them to a different site. But why not give Mail subscribers (and I was paying for a premium service!!!) the option to use the full site if they wanted to? Or at least, why not allow paying subscribers to access the administrative functions from a tablet, the same way they can from a desktop or laptop computer???

Why, why, why???

When I travel I don't take a laptop. They're too heavy, and I don't need a laptop. (Unless I want to access the administrative functions of Yahoo Mail.) A tablet does everything I need a computer to do when I'm traveling. Get and respond to email, check weather reports, keep a travel journal, and do a little web browsing.

What in the world is going on with Yahoo and mail? Is there some actual reason for it, or is their mail service just so completely broken that they cannot fix it?

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Yahoo Mail and mobile devices
Not broken. Just a development team struggling with keeping up with the myriad of platforms that are available.

05-09-2015, 06:21 PM
I use Chrome on both my desktop computer and my iPad. Wouldn't both render a web site the same? Does the web site have to account for different devices if both are using the same browser? And why should it be harder for Yahoo than for any of the other web sites that I visit with both my computer and my tablet? Are the Yahoo programmers that incompetent that they cannot do what every other web site does?

Some sites don't work with this or that browser. Sometimes I have to use Safari instead of Chrome. But it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm on the computer or the tablet. Just which browser I use.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
06-09-2015, 07:03 AM
(05-09-2015 06:21 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  I use Chrome on both my desktop computer and my iPad. Wouldn't both render a web site the same?

Not necessarily as they are very different platforms. Think of it as the desktop speaking English and the iPad speaking Russian so there has to be a version of Chrome that is fluent in English to run on the desktop and one that is fluent in Russian to run on he iPad. Even with excellent translation some phrases are going to carry slightly different meanings.

Quote:Does the web site have to account for different devices if both are using the same browser?

Yes, like you'd have to plan differently to move using a pickup truck than you would using a moving van even though you are driving both. The devices have different built-in capabilities so things that may be easy on one can be difficult on the other.

Quote:And why should it be harder for Yahoo than for any of the other web sites that I visit with both my computer and my tablet? Are the Yahoo programmers that incompetent that they cannot do what every other web site does?

That could be; it could also be time constraints and priorities and it could be that the initial design didn't happen to transfer well when they started to support mobile devices so that means having to rewrite major chunks of code. Other companies may have had to do less.

Quote:Some sites don't work with this or that browser. Sometimes I have to use Safari instead of Chrome. But it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm on the computer or the tablet. Just which browser I use.

The HTML and CSS used to lay out websites is a complete mess. There are no strict standards and every browser implements only a subset of the specs and adds its own extensions. Couple that with every device having different capabilities and it is amazing that websites generally work as well as they do.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Thank you very much for the above explanations. Much of that is new to me. I guess it comes of the internet being such a patchwork affair. I wonder if they'll ever agree on a standard. Or if the end of civilization as we know it will be the result of the internet collapsing under its own weight at a time when everything from personal communication to banking to government is so dependent on it.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
06-09-2015, 09:47 AM
(06-09-2015 08:37 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  ...
when everything from personal communication to banking to government is so dependent on it.

Then the introverts with oodles of mattress-stashed cash will take over the world.

I'm looking forward to it.

Big Grin

06-09-2015, 01:25 PM
(06-09-2015 09:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 08:37 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  ...
when everything from personal communication to banking to government is so dependent on it.

Then the introverts with oodles of mattress-stashed cash will take over the world.

I'm looking forward to it.

Big Grin

Who's going to accept cash after the government has collapsed? The smart ones are spending all their money now and having a high old time while the good times last. I'm spending my money as fast as I can. My purpose in life is to die broke.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines