Yahweh and Polytheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Yahweh and Polytheism
My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity. There were also many other deities worshiped at the time, such as Baal and Asherah. Asherah is thought to have been Yahweh's wife. Yahweh was the god of war and storms.

Has anyone else read about this, too? What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2016, 03:31 PM
RE: Yahweh and Polytheism
(15-04-2016 03:14 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity. There were also many other deities worshiped at the time, such as Baal and Asherah. Asherah is thought to have been Yahweh's wife. Yahweh was the god of war and storms.

I've read that the name Yahweh Elohim means the Lord of Gods but then was later changed to mean simply "God" or "Lord" whenever the sheep herders decided all their Gods should just be the one God after all. I've read that originally there was the God that created everything, "The Father of Life" or just "The Father" then a God that would save us/protect us from sin/evil and a God to punish us when we do sin, etc. So all the Gods were merged together. Many of the stories about Yahweh or Jesus were just a mixture of many myths and religions from that time and earlier, it evolved I guess you can say so we ended up with the big guy, the one that has 3 different personalities.

There are many times in the Bible where God says he is the only God that the Israelites should worship, it seems a strange way of putting it like there are other Gods but you shouldn't worship them before him or even acknowledge them since he's the one who will protect and guide them not those other ones who shall remain nameless. Why not just say "I'm the one true God because I'm the only one that has ever existed so..yeah, worship me and only me...and I don't want to be worshiped by other people who have other Gods because fuck them for being wrong!"

It's not very nice to hide yourself from literally every human except one particular tribe, basically damning all the others just because they had no idea you even existed, it's not like they knew any better but that's religion for you. If you can't feel superior and feel your God loves you a bit more for no real reason what's the point?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
15-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Yep. That region was a hodgepodge of different religions and cults. Yahweh was almost faded into absurdity like the rest of the gods from that pantheon but a small cult survived and was able to grow in number.

(if i'm remembering right) The ancient Hebrews got pushed around different regions were enslaved by the Babylons and Sumerians. And just threw prolonged expose adhered to Yahweh.

You'll often she Gods name spellt YHWH because they were afraid if they wrote his name he would appear and punish them.

You'll find many resemblance in the story's (practically carbon copy's) that have been interpreted in to the bible that started in these Babylonian legends. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a good starting point.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
15-04-2016, 03:36 PM
YHWH is a direct translation of the Hebrew יהוה
It has no vowels in English.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
15-04-2016, 04:01 PM
YHWH is a translation from Hebrew to Latin.

י - Yod
ה - He
ו - Waw
ה - He (silent)

Wikipedia Has a pretty heavy, explanation if anyone wanted to look into the name thing more. Lot's of citations so i usually look at the citations first before I accept the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
15-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks. I'ma start calling him Yoddywahee XD

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
15-04-2016, 04:14 PM
(15-04-2016 03:14 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity. There were also many other deities worshiped at the time, such as Baal and Asherah. Asherah is thought to have been Yahweh's wife. Yahweh was the god of war and storms.

Prepare to have the rest of what you thought you knew demolished...

GoodWithoutGod's Resource Thread

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-04-2016, 04:17 PM
(15-04-2016 03:31 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  It's not very nice to hide yourself from literally every human except one particular tribe, basically damning all the others just because they had no idea you even existed, it's not like they knew any better but that's religion for you. If you can't feel superior and feel your God loves you a bit more for no real reason what's the point?

I agree. To me, it would make more sense to reveal himself to everyone. Then, everyone could make their decision from there. If they don't want to worship them, he can allow everyone to make their own decision and just leave them alone. There would be a lot less destruction.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
15-04-2016, 06:02 PM
(15-04-2016 03:14 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity.
This is what I as Mormon believe. Yahweh and Elohim are Gods.
there are gods mane and there lords many.
there is no first god and there is no last god.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-04-2016, 06:12 PM
(15-04-2016 06:02 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-04-2016 03:14 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity.

This is what I as Mormon believe. Yahweh and Elohim are Gods.
there are gods mane and there lords many.
there is no first god and there is no last god.

I believe the moon is made of green cheese.
There is as much evidence for that, as there is for your drivel.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.