Yahweh and Polytheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2016, 07:04 PM
RE: Yahweh and Polytheism
Quote:This is what I as Mormon believe. Yahweh and Elohim are Gods.

Yeah...you also think fucking jesus showed up in America because an 1820's con man told you so.

Thanks for your input.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
15-04-2016, 10:17 PM
(15-04-2016 03:14 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mind was blown when I learned about Yahweh in history and archaeology. Contrary to what I've been taught, it seems that El and Yahweh aren't even the same deity. There were also many other deities worshiped at the time, such as Baal and Asherah. Asherah is thought to have been Yahweh's wife. Yahweh was the god of war and storms.

Has anyone else read about this, too? What do you guys think?

Indeed, I have. It's a pretty good read. Except for the last chapter or so, which gets into wish-thinking rubbish about 'what could god mean for us in modern times?', instead of dropping the idea wholesale like we should.

[Image: 41RCfHcQHZL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-04-2016, 08:27 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid159006

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2016, 10:53 AM
(15-04-2016 04:06 PM)cactus Wrote:  Thanks. I'ma start calling him Yoddywahee XD

Sounds more Cherokee than Hebrew. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-04-2016, 12:37 PM
This is all circular. So, the Jews, whowever they were, believed in Yahweh, which we now know means God. STFW. I mean, seriously.

The Sumerians, I thought we were discovering, believed in Anounaki or some kind of people who came from space. Plainly, people back then did not believe in some kind of "metaphysical" world into which God/Yahweh has been pushed. They and the Greeks and most other people believed in things which they saw as part of the real world. The gods in the heavens have to have been the star constellations in the night sky. That is the origin of a metaphysical "heaven" which is hidden from view.

It's just nonsense to think that stone aged and earlier peoples huddled around campfires at night with huge star configurations above them and talked about, "Say, Ogg, what do you think about the possibility of their being "gods" who don't live in this world, but inhabit an invisible world which we can never know? Perhaps we should all believe in this and that this is a big deal upon which we can rest all of our other social, creative and personal beliefs, practices and philosophies? What do you think, Ogg?... Hey, what the Christ is that up there in the sky?"

Yes, that must be how we have a metaphysical world occupied by gods who our ancestors named and gave characteristics to.