Yahweh son of ??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Yahweh son of ??
(18-02-2016 11:59 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 11:34 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I do not think this is the case. Asherah was the consort of El, and the mother of the Ugaritic gods.

YHWH doesn't specifically have a consort, but the argument certainly can be made that he took Israel as his consort. See the book of Hosea, specifically. There is also something to be made of the feminized "wisdom" in the book of Proverbs, what the Greeks later labeled as Sophia in the Septuagint. "The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way," says Lady Wisdom, "before his works of old,... and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him"
(Prov. 8:22,30).

So there may not necessarily be a deity consort for YHWH, and that is why you're finding some difficulty in the answers being given here.

For what it's worth. Drinking Beverage
From everything I've read it states that his consort was asherah. That's why I've asked if she is the same one or what?

I think the problem arises is because it's how the shifts go when you co-op and shift one cultures gods into your own. It's a mixing of views and centuries of worship in different ways so it's pretty mixed in the legends.

Just like our Norse legends are very mixed in story & some character relationships have different legends because the lore comes to us now from various points. There's basically 3/4 key points when Norse tales in this case were written and cataloged. It changed over centuries that these sagas were written down during partially because of the christian influence that had grown into these peoples lives and basically all of this writing was monks dictation to begin with. So you get his person is this person's wife in one tale at one time and that person is the mother/father of that same figure in another time. Adding shifted but close cultures like the Hebrew/Canaanites or whoever else.. Babylonian peoples, and you get these shifts cataloged.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-02-2016, 01:38 PM
The Canaanite Religion has many gods.The Top two where El Elyon (God most High) Asherah (Walker of the Sea) is known as the Mother Goddess and wife to El. She also goes by the name Athirat. Threw them the other gods where born.

Yahweh in their pantheon is a god of tempest's and commander of the armies of Ba'al Hadad.

Where it becomes confusing is that the ancient Hebrews used the word Yahweh to mean Lord, and also the word Ba'al (Lord) and Ba'ali (My Lord) but they used Ba'al when referring to the God of Israel and Yahweh when referring to their god.

Baal Hammon (Lord of Fertility)
Ba'al Shamem (Lord of the Heavens)
Ba'al Pe' (Lord of Mt. Pe'or)
Ba'al Zaphon (Lord of Mt Zaphon)

Now some of these names and words began to bleed together. Yahweh and El merged at religious centres such as Shechem, Shiloh and Jerusalem, the national god appropriating many of the older supreme god's title such as Shadai (Almighty and Elyon (Most High) Asherah, formerly the wife of el was probably worshiped as Yahweh's consort as the faiths began to merg. A lot can happen in a span of 300+ years. Especial when cultures are being forced from lands, and cities. Various biblical passages indicate that her statues were kept in his temples in Jerusalem, Bethel, and Samaria.

Baal and Yahweh coexisted in the early period of israel's history, but around the 9th century BCE the efforts of King Ahab & Queen Jezedbel Baal was elevated to their National God. The worship of Yahweh was moved back to Cult statues but made a rebound in the 8th century BCE from the prophet Hosea. Afterords Yahweh was promoted to the national god of Israel, and absorbed all the positive traits of the other gods and goddesses' finally in the national crisis of the exile, the very existence of other gods was denied.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
18-02-2016, 01:47 PM
(18-02-2016 01:38 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The Canaanite Religion has many gods.The Top two where El Elyon (God most High) Asherah (Walker of the Sea) is known as the Mother Goddess and wife to El. She also goes by the name Athirat. Threw them the other gods where born.

Yahweh in their pantheon is a god of tempest's and commander of the armies of Ba'al Hadad.

Where it becomes confusing is that the ancient Hebrews used the word Yahweh to mean Lord, and also the word Ba'al (Lord) and Ba'ali (My Lord) but they used Ba'al when referring to the God of Israel and Yahweh when referring to their god.

Baal Hammon (Lord of Fertility)
Ba'al Shamem (Lord of the Heavens)
Ba'al Pe' (Lord of Mt. Pe'or)
Ba'al Zaphon (Lord of Mt Zaphon)

Now some of these names and words began to bleed together. Yahweh and El merged at religious centres such as Shechem, Shiloh and Jerusalem, the national god appropriating many of the older supreme god's title such as Shadai (Almighty and Elyon (Most High) Asherah, formerly the wife of el was probably worshiped as Yahweh's consort as the faiths began to merg. A lot can happen in a span of 300+ years. Especial when cultures are being forced from lands, and cities. Various biblical passages indicate that her statues were kept in his temples in Jerusalem, Bethel, and Samaria.

Baal and Yahweh coexisted in the early period of israel's history, but around the 9th century BCE the efforts of King Ahab & Queen Jezedbel Baal was elevated to their National God. The worship of Yahweh was moved back to Cult statues but made a rebound in the 8th century BCE from the prophet Hosea. Afterords Yahweh was promoted to the national god of Israel, and absorbed all the positive traits of the other gods and goddesses' finally in the national crisis of the exile, the very existence of other gods was denied.

This is what I was thinking happened. Thank you so much. When I was doing research this is the conclusion I came to. I wanted to confirm what I thought thanks
18-02-2016, 02:14 PM
TAE did some presentations on this; you can find a summary here that also has some other links for reference

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-02-2016, 02:44 PM
(18-02-2016 02:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  TAE did some presentations on this; you can find a summary here that also has some other links for reference
Thank you.