Yale's Introduction to the New and Old Testaments.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Yale's Introduction to the New and Old Testaments.
These two lecture series have pretty much destroyed all my time this week. A great primer for anyone interested in the bible's historical context, regardless of what else you think about it. Some good in depth book by book analysis. The bible is more interesting when you forget about all the magic and get into what the text says about the history, culture and politics behind it.

I wish I'd know about Open Yale Courses sooner, such an amazing idea. They offer so many subjects I'm interested in, I can't decide what I want to learn about next.

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Pavlov's_Ape's post
01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
RE: Yale's Introduction to the New and Old Testaments.
Give us a few tasters.

Did you learn anything new?

Did they mention Brian Shuty's Atheist's Critique of the Bible?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
01-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Thanks for posting this. I am almost done with a New Testament lecture series by Bart Ehrman from Chapel Hill. I bought blue tooth headphones just so that I could listen to the lectures and debates while I did laundry or washed dishes. Chores need not be boring anymore!
[+] 2 users Like Noelani's post
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
(01-12-2012 12:18 AM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  These two lecture series have pretty much destroyed all my time this week. A great primer for anyone interested in the bible's historical context, regardless of what else you think about it. Some good in depth book by book analysis. The bible is more interesting when you forget about all the magic and get into what the text says about the history, culture and politics behind it.

I wish I'd know about Open Yale Courses sooner, such an amazing idea. They offer so many subjects I'm interested in, I can't decide what I want to learn about next.

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies
Interesting. I will have to listen to a lecture or two. I watched a few of MIT's free/open math classes. They are helpful and are a great cure for insomnia!
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes yes yes! I posted this about a year ago and it needs to be 'reborn' every few months. Dale Martin is a phenomenal professor and this is an amazing lecture series..and its a Yale class...and its FREEEEEEEE!!!!
It takes a commitment to finish but you will be far more informed for doing it. He puts the New Testament BACK in the century it was written and provides the context. Suddenly many things make sense after years of reading but not understanding. You can get this on Itunes too.
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 03:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I'm watching the "Old" part first. She makes some good points, and I'm only partway through it, but I do disagree about some things she says. She says from the beginning she will be an academic, and objective. Then immediately starts talking about "God", (capital "G), and I'm sure she is a theist, and it shines through in a lot of the things she says. She says the Genesis accounts places the woman last, as the pinnacle of creation, when in fact the woman is an after-thought, when the god *discovers* "it was not good for the man to be alone". She also says the Hebrews had a unique value of human life, when in fact their god is as destructive of life as anyone could be. She also introduces "evil" with no introduction, when in fact it was still "choas" from the Babylonians. She finds the idea of "monotheism" as a unique development, when in fact it arose non-uniquely, late, from the culture as a result of the destruction of the meaning system of "family" systems, after the Exilic period, and polytheism had to be actively suppressed (for political purposes). So, it's good in a way, as an example of a non-fundie academic approach, but I would argue with her about many of the things she says, and the way she says them. She is obviously "walking on eggshells", trying not to upset the "believers" in the class. She does say Sarna "overstates" things, which he does, in attempting to say the god(s) of Israel were the first examples of "charity and compassion". That was clearly evident in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, before them, and in Athraisis and Gilgamesh, (from Babylon).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Minimalism
I'm surprised she didn't say a word about the roots of "chaos" in the Sumerian roots of the garden myth, as Buber, explained. She has the "classic" view of "idolatry" which not everyone shares, and she constantly refers to the fact that the taking of human life is an absolute moral value in the Bible, which it obviously is not, and perfectly acceptable, in many instances.
She also doesn't mention the "ram in the thicket" theme in the Abraham sacrifice of his son. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_in_a_Thicket
She does mention, quite correctly the "hospitality", (the "outcry" of the "abused stranger") theme in the Lot story, but fails to mention that it follows directly upon the "hospitality" of Abraham to strangers, as it's antithesis.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
(01-12-2012 01:51 AM)Noelani Wrote:  Thanks for posting this. I am almost done with a New Testament lecture series by Bart Ehrman from Chapel Hill. I bought blue tooth headphones just so that I could listen to the lectures and debates while I did laundry or washed dishes. Chores need not be boring anymore!
Are you referring to the Dale Martin lecture? Or does Bart have his OWN lecture series?
Please let me know. I'd be beyond happy if ole Bart had his own series.
D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
(03-12-2012 09:46 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 01:51 AM)Noelani Wrote:  Thanks for posting this. I am almost done with a New Testament lecture series by Bart Ehrman from Chapel Hill. I bought blue tooth headphones just so that I could listen to the lectures and debates while I did laundry or washed dishes. Chores need not be boring anymore!
Are you referring to the Dale Martin lecture? Or does Bart have his OWN lecture series?
D
Not from a class lectures, but this will wet your whistle.
http://www.bartdehrman.com/flv_heyns_lec...ecture.htm

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 10:03 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-12-2012 09:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 09:46 AM)Denicio Wrote:  Are you referring to the Dale Martin lecture? Or does Bart have his OWN lecture series?
D
Not from a class lectures, but this will wet your whistle.
Somewhere, there is a rather extensive audio set, by Ehrman. I'll look for it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
(03-12-2012 09:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-12-2012 09:51 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Not from a class lectures, but this will wet your whistle.
Somewhere, there is a rather extensive audio set, by Ehrman. I'll look for it.
Oh Dear! I MUST HAVE THIS! My Salvation Depends on it!!! Please hook a brother up!