Yarg! Pirate Problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Yarg! Pirate Problems
How do you all feel about the current copyright laws in your nation? How do you feel about devices that claim to hold "millions of songs, pictures and movies"... yet the media corporations sell them at a dollar for a song, 15-20 dollars for a movie. Do you think that piracy is wrong, or just a bad solution to an even worse problem?

I'm just curious as to what you all think, since most people on this site seem to be educated members of society, you probably understand both sides of the issue and can make an intelligent opinion on this issue.

My opinion on piracy

I really think it comes down to corporate short sided solutions. They continue to sell media at inflated prices, yet sponsor electronics designed to hold millions of data, I wonder if they were simply expecting people to fill them up with legally purchased items, we are not all millionaires. I really think that a good solution to piracy is to sponsor sites like Napster or Hulu, and put more media on downloadable sites that charge a service fee (like 20 dollars a month ). They make money in a couple ways, through subscriptions and advertising. Piracy is not going away until a reasonable industry wide solution is offered...until then there is Tor and bit torrent.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
RE: Yarg! Pirate Problems
Piracy won't go away as long as the internet exists. It does't matter how many solutions are brought in, as long as the copy/paste buttons are slapped onto keyboards piracy will continue. What annoys me the most about piracy is when people refer to it as stealing, as if when somebody pirates they are actually taking something from another person. I often see TV commercials or movie previews regurgitating slogans like "You wouldn't steal a handbag!" and I can't help but laugh. No, I wouldn't steal a handbag, but if I could make a direct copy of that handbag without using any extra resources, without taking the handbag from somebody else, and without ruining the other handbag in the process, I would probably take that. Piracy is not stealing. Piracy is downloading duplicates of an original file.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
RE: Yarg! Pirate Problems
Piracy has always existed, the internet just made it more noticeable. People have always sold cassette tapes or whatever type of copy they could muster (even given copies of movies or CDs to friends). There is no use trying to fight the fact that people won't always pay for products. I do find though, that a large number of music consumers are well minded. If they enjoy an artist, and like their stuff they will support them by buying a CD or whatever. The ability to listen for free actually makes for better sales as people who would never have tried an artist find something they like. I think the actual best solution would be for artists to have webpages with donation options. That way if people like them they can send some money even if it might not be $12.95 =p. That wouldn't help record companies at all, but it would be very good for artists.

Nowadays in music the money comes from concerts, everyone realizes that CDs are just an extra source of income in comparison. As long as someone likes you enough to see you live, they've given you more than they would have for buying your CD.

Movies are in general the same in regards to this, though a donation page would be more profitable for all involved in this case. The theater is really the only big moneymaker for films nowadays since people can make their own movies almost for free which sometimes have the best content. Movie conventions are about the other best way to receive rewards. People have harshly declined on how many movies they will buy, but thanks to redbox and netflix at least there are still movie rental places purchasing the actual movies.

Yet again my main message here, is that this is nothing more than it used to be, before we could copy movies people would describe the stories. There is always a cheaper way to get the information than to buy it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.