Yay for American gun laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2014, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 03:16 PM by Chas.)
RE: Yay for American gun laws
(03-05-2014 03:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 02:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  It does. It is counterpoint to the idea that guns are the problem.

Nope. The article has nothing whatsoever to do with guns. It is entirely irrelevant to a gun debate.

Your article was about an obviously mentally disturbed person and samurai swords.

The OP is about someone who, other than his ridiculous display of "my dick is bigger than yours" which resulted in a preventable death, was an average american male who unfortunately bought into the paranoid rhetoric that perpetuates the needless violent culture we have.

If that's the way you see it, but given his posting history I'm pretty sure I see the OP's intent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
I do take exception to the "average American male" comment..... thats going overboard with generalizations a bit. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
(03-05-2014 03:14 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I do take exception to the "average American male" comment..... thats going overboard with generalizations a bit. Dodgy

How so? Everything I said about him was "other than" seeming like an average american male. I'm a pretty average american male myself, I wasn't meaning to disparage you and me, just making the observation that senseless gun violence isn't just relegated to people who are obviously mentally unstable.

I know a lot of gun owners who are really level headed and safe people. I also know a few gun owners that think they are cowboys and make me really nervous that one day a story like this will be theirs. And the fact that they insist on carrying one everywhere only increases the chances of someone dying unnecessarily.

I don't want to take away anyone's gun. I want everyone, especially gun owners, to be open about the fact that there is a problem and be willing to have a conversation about it without going all Charlton Heston about the subject.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
03-05-2014, 03:49 PM
(03-05-2014 03:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 03:14 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I do take exception to the "average American male" comment..... thats going overboard with generalizations a bit. Dodgy

How so? Everything I said about him was "other than" seeming like an average american male. I'm a pretty average american male myself, I wasn't meaning to disparage you and me, just making the observation that senseless gun violence isn't just relegated to people who are obviously mentally unstable.

I know a lot of gun owners who are really level headed and safe people. I also know a few gun owners that think they are cowboys and make me really nervous that one day a story like this will be theirs. And the fact that they insist on carrying one everywhere only increases the chances of someone dying unnecessarily.

I don't want to take away anyone's gun. I want everyone, especially gun owners, to be open about the fact that there is a problem and be willing to have a conversation about it without going all Charlton Heston about the subject.

Thing is, we dont know if the guy was mentaly stable or not yet... that was kind of my point. I didnt take it personally. Thumbsup

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
(03-05-2014 03:49 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Thing is, we dont know if the guy was mentaly stable or not yet... that was kind of my point. I didnt take it personally. Thumbsup

Very true, but if he wasn't and there was evidence of it you know the media would be exploiting the shit out of it by now. You are right though, we don't really know much about it yet.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-05-2014, 04:20 PM
(03-05-2014 09:45 AM)War Horse Wrote:  ...
That's the most naive statement I've ever heard... at least recently.

I dont know what kind of milk and cookies area that you live in,

Like Hughsie, I grew up in England.

My friends and I once had a similar experience.

But, yeah, we knocked on the front door.

The owner was grateful and gave a pound (between us).

Smile

03-05-2014, 04:25 PM
(03-05-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  You have to keep in mind that the culture here is based on paranoia from back in the pioneer days, through the wild west and into large city environments. The crime rate is high, too.

The chances that a stranger enters your home in order to do something nice are practically non-existent.

If someone suddenly shows up in my living room, I am better off shooting first and asking questions later. If I don't, the odds weigh towards never asking another question again.

The culture is what it is. Not defending yourself will most likely result in not ever being able to do so again. Just because the culture is far from being ideal doesn't mean one has to be a sitting duck. Idealism does not save lives.

Who wants to risk their life in order to ask questions? Not me.

When you say 'pioneer days', you're talking about the insurgence into the native's territory, right?

Who said Murikans don't do irony?

Big Grin

03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
(03-05-2014 04:25 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 10:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  You have to keep in mind that the culture here is based on paranoia from back in the pioneer days, through the wild west and into large city environments. The crime rate is high, too.

The chances that a stranger enters your home in order to do something nice are practically non-existent.

If someone suddenly shows up in my living room, I am better off shooting first and asking questions later. If I don't, the odds weigh towards never asking another question again.

The culture is what it is. Not defending yourself will most likely result in not ever being able to do so again. Just because the culture is far from being ideal doesn't mean one has to be a sitting duck. Idealism does not save lives.

Who wants to risk their life in order to ask questions? Not me.

When you say 'pioneer days', you're talking about the insurgence into the native's territory, right?

Who said Murikans don't do irony?

Big Grin

They do, but I'm not Murican, i just pitched a tent here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2014, 05:58 PM
The point I was trying to make was, that a gun makes the act of murder easier and involves less conscious thought than by other means. Since firing a gun is as simple as lifting a finger... Or less with modern "hair triggers".

But also, that a firearm, be it a pistol or a rifle is capable of inflicting severe wounds from a distance... Something which melee weapons are not capable of.

Ultimately it boils down to the fact that a gun is designed for one purpose and one purpose only, which is to send a projectile at high speed into a target, to cause severe or fatal wounding.

I think the debate isn't so much about whether or not firearms should be legal, but how they should be controlled and what kinds should be allowed. I can entirely understand and appreciate the reasons why someone would want a pistol, rifle or shotgun for either self defense, hobby or hunting purposes.

But, is it really necessary to allow assault rifles, silencers and hollow-point ammunition? I can't think of any scenario that justifies the use of any of those.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2014, 06:04 PM
(03-05-2014 02:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  By the way, just outta interest, does the Second Ammendment apply to expats? Does the US constitution apply to expats? I mean, if I was living in the US would I have the same rights under the constitution as a citizen? I don't really get this law stuffs so... yeah?

All the laws apply to you, including taxes, but you can't vote.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post