Yay for American gun laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Yay for American gun laws
(05-05-2014 02:22 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Right, so I think we can all at least agree that in regards to the OP, that the fucktard in Montana needs to be dealt with harshly and that his actions (insofar as we can tell) were unacceptable?

Yes, see the first response to the OP.

Quote:And that most likely the underlying problem here wasn't his access to a shotgun; but rather other factors (health, education, social, religious, economic) that lead him to thinking it was a good and reasonable idea to lay a trap for someone and fire at them indiscriminately?

Yes, see the first response to the OP.

Quote:And insofar as the United States is concerned, that gun violence correlates strongly to violence in general; both of which are strongly affected by the same underlying socio-economic factors (deteriorating public education, corrupt unresponsive government, wealth inequality, systemic discrimination) that all need to be addressed in this country?

Yes. In every gun thread ever on this forum, that has been the position I have articulated. The cause of violence is not guns, it is societal - lack of mental health care, lack of education, lack of opportunity, lack of socialization.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-05-2014, 03:08 PM
(05-05-2014 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 02:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  Are you talking to me? Are you serious, I am supposed to outrun a young man with a gun and emerge alive? I need some of what you have been drinking. Tongue

No, I think he's actually agreeing with you.

He quoted me, and I wasn't sure if the "you" meant me, or if it was "you" in the sense of "one" generally.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
(05-05-2014 03:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I think he's actually agreeing with you.

He quoted me, and I wasn't sure if the "you" meant me, or if it was "you" in the sense of "one" generally.

Oh, crap, yeah, I sloppily switched from "one" to "you" from sentence to sentence. I was just trying to clarify that we aren't in favor of, "oh, yeah, if you can find an excuse to kill someone and get away with it, great... score!" We aren't defending "kill if you can" but only "kill if you have to". If someone is killing and at all uncertain about the "had to" part, they shouldn't be killing yet....
[+] 2 users Like djhall's post
05-05-2014, 08:35 PM
(05-05-2014 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes. In every gun thread ever on this forum, that has been the position I have articulated. The cause of violence is not guns, it is societal - lack of mental health care, lack of education, lack of opportunity, lack of socialization.

If you add "lack of gun" to that list, its rarely news worthy though Unsure
05-05-2014, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 08:50 PM by djhall.)
(05-05-2014 08:35 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  If you add "lack of gun" to that list, its rarely news worthy though Unsure

Correction: If you all "no guns at all" to that list it is rarely newsworthy. When only one side has guns, even if that side is "the good guys", it can be pretty newsworthy.

The Mỹ Lai Massacre was the Vietnam War mass murder of between 347 and 504 unarmed civilians in South Vietnam on March 16, 1968. It was committed by the U.S. Army soldiers from the Company C of the 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 11th Brigade of the 23rd Infantry Division. Victims included men, women, children, and infants. Some of the women were gang-raped and their bodies mutilated. Twenty six soldiers were charged with criminal offenses, but only Lieutenant William Calley Jr., a platoon leader in C Company, was convicted. Found guilty of killing 22 villagers, he was originally given a life sentence, but served only three and a half years under house arrest.

Ah, I see why you think it isn't newsworthy. When the government agents do it with government guns it isn't a crime. If it were, there would have been a more serious punishment than only 3 1/2 years house arrest for just the top guy. That one guy that shot the burglar/kid, now THAT WAS CRAZY!!!! See what happens when civilians have guns! They do crazy things! (like resist when the government thugs murder, gang-rape, and mutilate them)
05-05-2014, 10:08 PM
(05-05-2014 08:45 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:35 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  If you add "lack of gun" to that list, its rarely news worthy though Unsure

Correction: If you all "no guns at all" to that list it is rarely newsworthy. When only one side has guns, even if that side is "the good guys", it can be pretty newsworthy.

Well if those veitnamese folks had guns, they would have called in an air strike and blew that place off the map.

I see your point though Yes .
05-05-2014, 10:25 PM
(05-05-2014 10:08 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:45 PM)djhall Wrote:  Correction: If you all "no guns at all" to that list it is rarely newsworthy. When only one side has guns, even if that side is "the good guys", it can be pretty newsworthy.

Well if those veitnamese folks had guns, they would have called in an air strike and blew that place off the map.

I see your point though Yes .

Well, yeah, and the Hutus and Tutsis killed a half-million to a million with machetes in just over three months, so we really just need to fix what is wrong with us before we find even more efficient ways to slaughter each other instead of finding a way to live together.
05-05-2014, 11:13 PM
So much for the OP. It's always all or nothing. Forests and trees. Yadda yadda.

Good points made by all, in and of themselves. Way to go.

Guess I'll go buy a gun.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
06-05-2014, 12:24 AM
The fact that i desperately want a gun, makes me think that people should not have access to them outside a shooting range.
I would probably stroke it loaded on my lap and call it Betty.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
06-05-2014, 12:52 AM
(06-05-2014 12:24 AM)sporehux Wrote:  The fact that i desperately want a gun, makes me think that people should not have access to them outside a shooting range.
I would probably stroke it loaded on my lap and call it Betty.

Get an airsoft replica. They're cheaper and safer.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]