Yay for American gun laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 01:49 AM
RE: Yay for American gun laws
(06-05-2014 12:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 12:24 AM)sporehux Wrote:  The fact that i desperately want a gun, makes me think that people should not have access to them outside a shooting range.
I would probably stroke it loaded on my lap and call it Betty.

Get an airsoft replica. They're cheaper and safer.

Tried that a few years ago, and have the customs seizure letter to prove it.(no fine for first offence)
I bet the bastards are playing with it instead of destroying it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 02:15 AM
(05-05-2014 08:35 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 03:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes. In every gun thread ever on this forum, that has been the position I have articulated. The cause of violence is not guns, it is societal - lack of mental health care, lack of education, lack of opportunity, lack of socialization.

If you add "lack of gun" to that list, its rarely news worthy though Unsure

Tell that to all those who have been beaten to death, stabbed to death, or strangled.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2014, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 02:26 AM by Mathilda.)
(05-05-2014 08:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't, i am female and I don't stand a chance against a guy with a baseball bat.

I don't fancy getting painfully beat to death with one. I prefer it be over quickly.

I am talking about self defense here. Without my gun I don't stand a chance in hell, and if the other guy doesn't have a gun either, it would be one very painful last experience. I pass.

If I was going up against a man with a baseball bat I would want a knife. A baseball bat is a medium range melee weapon. With a knife you can conceal it and use it when the attacker doesn't expect it if you're old, or you can jump straight in and shorten the baseball bat's swing. Just remember not to hold the knife out in front of you, keep it back. Knives can be grabbed off you and used against you, which is why people that voluntarily bring them to a fight are stupid. But there is more chance of getting hold of a knife in your house if there is an intruder.

People don't just go into someone else's house and start bashing away, they normally want something else like money. Even without a knife you can still grapple and bite. No one likes a biter. And if you're older and fear someone intruding who is much younger and stronger than you then get a couple of big dogs. Dogs aren't held back by the same fears that humans have and intruders know this. And they're biters.

Admittedly I used to do a lot of martial arts in my mid 20's but that doesn't mean to say that other people can't also learn self defense if they're worried about their personal safety. The advice was always, if you're mugger has a knife, just run away. Another thing I learnt you can rush someone from quite a distance before they can pull a gun out of its holster. I'd have to find out who found this out again but it was first established by a policeman at the turn of the last century in China.
06-05-2014, 03:07 AM
(06-05-2014 02:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Another thing I learnt you can rush someone from quite a distance before they can pull a gun out of its holster. I'd have to find out who found this out again but it was first established by a policeman at the turn of the last century in China.

I've drilled the scenario multiple times as both the knife wielding attacker and the holstered gun defender, and 20 feet is about the distance where you can close and attack with the knife before the defender can draw and fire. By 8 feet or so you'd better have the gun on target already because a knife attack can close that distance almost before you raise your arm and pull the trigger.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
06-05-2014, 03:10 AM
(06-05-2014 02:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't, i am female and I don't stand a chance against a guy with a baseball bat.

I don't fancy getting painfully beat to death with one. I prefer it be over quickly.

I am talking about self defense here. Without my gun I don't stand a chance in hell, and if the other guy doesn't have a gun either, it would be one very painful last experience. I pass.

If I was going up against a man with a baseball bat I would want a knife. A baseball bat is a medium range melee weapon. With a knife you can conceal it and use it when the attacker doesn't expect it if you're old, or you can jump straight in and shorten the baseball bat's swing. Just remember not to hold the knife out in front of you, keep it back. Knives can be grabbed off you and used against you, which is why people that voluntarily bring them to a fight are stupid. But there is more chance of getting hold of a knife in your house if there is an intruder.

People don't just go into someone else's house and start bashing away, they normally want something else like money. Even without a knife you can still grapple and bite. No one likes a biter. And if you're older and fear someone intruding who is much younger and stronger than you then get a couple of big dogs. Dogs aren't held back by the same fears that humans have and intruders know this. And they're biters.

Admittedly I used to do a lot of martial arts in my mid 20's but that doesn't mean to say that other people can't also learn self defense if they're worried about their personal safety. The advice was always, if you're mugger has a knife, just run away. Another thing I learnt you can rush someone from quite a distance before they can pull a gun out of its holster. I'd have to find out who found this out again but it was first established by a policeman at the turn of the last century in China.

No one is going to get close enough to use any melee weapon as I will have shot him first.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user