Yee haw

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Yee haw
America needs “a more violent Christianity.”

The call to violence is bad enough, but in America a lot of these nutbags are also armed.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Yee haw
Dodgy This guy's a pastor? What happened to that turning the other cheek shit that Jesus was all about? "More violent Christianity?" He sees these fucks as role models? Fuuuuck me. You see some idiots and then you see some *real* idiots.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-06-2017, 01:48 PM
I say, somebody bust a cap on him. Rolleyes Those who live by the sword...
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
07-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Hm, this brings back very old memories of certain catch phrases one used to hear from time to time in fundamentalism ... like "walking in authority". Here are lyrics from a song that pretty much sum up the notion:
Quote:'m walking in authority
Living life without apology
It's not wrong, dear, I belong here
So you might as well get used to me

My mother may not be a queen
But my father's king of everything
I'm adopted into the family
So I guess that makes me royalty
And he's given me dominion yes

Power over men, them yes
Everything I do is blessed
Promised me some great success
I am the authority
God of the majority
Livin' in my liberty

We're children of the most-high God
Understand and believe his word
We never have to beg or plead
For our father will supply our needs
And he's given me dominion yes
Power over men, them yes
Everything I do is blessed
Promised me some great success
I am the authority
God of the majority
Livin' in my liberty
I do not think most people who indulge this fist-pumping sort of supremacist bullshit back in my day would have taken it to its "logical" conclusion like this "preacher" has ... but eventually, someone manages to do it, it would seem.

This triumphalist stuff mostly comes to us by way of the "name it an claim it" crowd which has always been obsessed with "victorious Christian living" but it looks to have spread further than that.

As to the notion that "violent make take [the kingdom of god] by force", this is not some sort of command; it is taken by some as conveying the notion that the impatient try to rush the process by brute force. In other words, the passage from Matthew 11 is not holding up the notion of quick results as something to pursue; quite the opposite. Others argue that it simply is imagery suggestive of the eagerness and appeal of the Good News. I have never, until now, seen it as an incitement to actual, literal violence. Although I'd be unsurprised, I suppose, to find that such notions have had currency at other times in the past, such as, say, the Inquisition and the Crusades.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
07-06-2017, 02:19 PM
You can count on more of this.

Religion has been on the wane in western societies for decades; it's now like a cornered animal, weakened but still extremely dangerous.
[+] 4 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
(07-06-2017 02:10 PM)mordant Wrote:  As to the notion that "violent make take [the kingdom of god] by force", this is not some sort of command; it is taken by some as conveying the notion that the impatient try to rush the process by brute force. In other words, the passage from Matthew 11 is not holding up the notion of quick results as something to pursue; quite the opposite. Others argue that it simply is imagery suggestive of the eagerness and appeal of the Good News. I have never, until now, seen it as an incitement to actual, literal violence. Although I'd be unsurprised, I suppose, to find that such notions have had currency at other times in the past, such as, say, the Inquisition and the Crusades.
More recently than that:

Army of God

I have met "Army of God" types, as recently as four years ago.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
07-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Like arrogant pushy ass holes need a reason to be arrogant and pushy...
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
07-06-2017, 02:43 PM
(07-06-2017 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  Dodgy This guy's a pastor? What happened to that turning the other cheek shit that Jesus was all about?

Probably that Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
(07-06-2017 01:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  America needs “a more violent Christianity.”

The call to violence is bad enough, but in America a lot of these nutbags are also armed.

of course this doesn't seem like a good idea. But a liberal society is a very dangerous society. as we are seeing. So softer words are needed for the softed minded people I guess. the truth just doesn't work for people.
07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
(07-06-2017 02:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 01:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  Dodgy This guy's a pastor? What happened to that turning the other cheek shit that Jesus was all about?

Probably that Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

a sword can't bring peace?