Yee haw

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 03:01 PM
RE: Yee haw
(07-06-2017 02:50 PM)AB517 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 02:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Probably that Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

a sword can't bring peace?

Earlier part of sentence somehow eluded your attention?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
07-06-2017, 03:22 PM
The "I come not to bring peace but a sword" line is not a call to violence but to separation from culture and even family, if you read the verse in context. Sorry, but it irritated me when atheists use this one to indicate Christianity is inherently violent. It makes us look like we don't understand the Bible when Christians hear us say that.

On the other hand, the TYPE of Christians we're worried about in this discussion generally don't read more of the Bible than a single cherry-picked verse at a time. So we lose at both ends from this verse. Dodgy

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
(07-06-2017 02:50 PM)AB517 Wrote:  So softer words are needed for the softed minded people I guess.

Oh, I am so sorry I was ever harsh to you. Had I known that "softed minded" (sic) people need softer words I would have spoken to you with the verbal equivalent of jello. Which is what you, apparently, have jiggling inside that skull of yours Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2017, 03:33 PM
(07-06-2017 03:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The "I come not to bring peace but a sword" line is not a call to violence but to separation from culture and even family, if you read the verse in context. Sorry, but it irritated me when atheists use this one to indicate Christianity is inherently violent. It makes us look like we don't understand the Bible when Christians hear us say that.

On the other hand, the TYPE of Christians we're worried about in this discussion generally don't read more of the Bible than a single cherry-picked verse at a time. So we lose at both ends from this verse. Dodgy

I would say that it is call for violence and strife within family. Also I don't care what christian think about my understanding of their favorite book of fairy tales.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
07-06-2017, 03:34 PM
(07-06-2017 02:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Probably that Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Perhaps. If you use your sword to cut your enemies up into tiny pieces.

But be forewarned. If you use your Christian sword to cut off a noodly appendage, ten more appendages will grow back in it;s place.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
07-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Yee haw
(07-06-2017 01:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  America needs “a more violent Christianity.”

The call to violence is bad enough, but in America a lot of these nutbags are also armed.

Let's see: a radical, Christianity-based ideology combined with firearms. Nope. Nothing can go wrong there.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
07-06-2017, 03:39 PM
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war. Ann Coulter

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote...67043.html

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
I am sure a lot of good Christians see the wars of the Middle east as a war of Christianity vs Islam.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
07-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Yee haw
(07-06-2017 03:22 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The "I come not to bring peace but a sword" line is not a call to violence but to separation from culture and even family, if you read the verse in context. Sorry, but it irritated me when atheists use this one to indicate Christianity is inherently violent. It makes us look like we don't understand the Bible when Christians hear us say that.

The context of Matthew 10 is pretty clear and "separation" is just a euphemism for what the character "Jesus" is saying. I don't worry about it; it's all fiction anyway.
07-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Yee haw

Of course it can. The peace of the grave.
[+] 2 users Like Rachel's post