18-11-2016, 02:22 AM
RE: Yellowstone Park accident victim dissolved in boiling acidic pool

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-11-2016, 03:26 AM
(17-11-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Is it completely wrong to say the stupid burns?

It might get you into hot water.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
18-11-2016, 04:08 AM
(17-11-2016 04:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Having in the past worked at a nature preserve patrolling for this sort of thing, I find it hard to summon sympathy.

I remember reading this post on a paragliding forum about someone flying over California's High Sierra who never even landed there and being really surprised at the response of the rangers in the national park chasing him in their SUVs.

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=57526

But after reading recent threads mentioning all the rubbish being thrown into pools such as Morning Glory it's beginning to make sense. The rangers don't trust the people and for good reason.

I have often wondered why America has a culture of not caring for the environment. I think it must come down to taking it for granted. America has so much land at its disposal and when it was first settled people could just go west and claim some for free.

I grow North American pitcher plants. Sarracenia Oreophilia is CITES 1 protected yet growing it ourselves, we end up swamped by it because it divides so rapidly. But it's only endangered because of environmental damage in America.

Here in Scotland it's completely different. You can walk up any mountain and fly off it. We have a right of access now enshrined in law. But here is the difference. The people themselves protect the environment. When a landowner comes along and erects fences, people come along and tear them down. They even knock down cairns that other hill-walkers build. They protest building any form of railway.

If I see some litter or item when out hill walking or paragliding then I'll pick it up and bring it back with me. So far I've found one lost winter glove, a hip flask of Whisky and a Topic bar. The hip flask and chocolate bar were lost that same day.

Yet Germans are quite environmentally minded and seem to build all kinds of shit on their mountains. I remember a brilliant walk along a single track path of the Brocken which would mean sinking into 6 foot of snow if you stepped off it. When I got to the top there was a tarmac road, a soviet era listening post, a hotel, a cafe and a steam railway station. Yet environmental protection is really strict in the Harz mountains.

I remember preparing to walk up a munro in Scotland and a German tourist parked his car alongside us and got out. He was considering walking up as well. He asked us where the path was. We told him there wasn't one, you just plot a route up the side. He then asked us if there was a cafe up there. We just smiled and said no. He then drove off.

But then I suppose the Germans never had the highland clearances which turned their mountainous regions into barren sheep grazed wastelands devoid of people.