Yellowstone

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 11:18 AM
RE: Yellowstone
I'm just glad I got to see the park... It was like looking at a massive asteroid or bomb. It was odd to walk down the beach and see steam coming up through the sand in spots. Theres boiling water everywhere, vents opening up in parking lots, and the scent of impending sulferous doom. Beautiful. [Image: 4IHdGlu.jpg]
[Image: RnuPR1J.jpg]
[Image: GfFQnYg.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
18-12-2013, 01:46 PM
(17-12-2013 05:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ummm... not good.

That's actually pretty disconcerting. Can we do anything about it?

Yes. The problems would be change in weather cycles, very little sunlight, destruction of half of a continent.

So, we would need answers to these questions.

An enclosed(domed) city that is self-sustaining. This would be a fascinating endeavor, and the lifestyle would be unlike what we have today. With the right technology; food, water, and weather would not be a problem for this city.
-----------
Without something like that, it would be the biggest environmental pressure humanity has been exposed to in a very long time. Bottleneck effect and founder effect would be very apparent factors seen in the surviving population.
21-12-2013, 09:25 PM
(17-12-2013 05:08 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Ummm... not good.

That's actually pretty disconcerting. Can we do anything about it?

We could move to another planet...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
21-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Hey Pictures!

I finally made it back to Yellowstone in 2011. It was my first trip to the park in 40 years.

[Image: Yellowstone2011YellowstoneFalls2.jpg]

[Image: Yellowstone2011Geyser1.jpg]

[Image: Yellowstone2011Geyser11.jpg]

[Image: Yellowstone2011GrizzlyBearandCubs2.jpg]

[Image: Campsite17b.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
22-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Lol, you guys are freaking out too much over this. It's predicted to erupt sometime within the next 100,000 years. Not likely to occur in your lifetime, your children's lifetime, your grandchildren's lifetime, nor your great grandchildren's lifetime. You should be worried about man-made catastrophes fucking us over before worrying about Yellowstone. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
22-12-2013, 08:20 AM
(22-12-2013 07:25 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Lol, you guys are freaking out too much over this. It's predicted to erupt sometime within the next 100,000 years. Not likely to occur in your lifetime, your children's lifetime, your grandchildren's lifetime, nor your great grandchildren's lifetime. You should be worried about man-made catastrophes fucking us over before worrying about Yellowstone. 

Well, not exactly nothing to worry about. It's just those who've never before heard of this are reacting.

Just add it to the list of "very likely to happen someday" catastrophes, like the tsunami that will occur when a big chunk of the Azores slides into the abyss or big rock falls out of sky and fucks up your day.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-12-2013, 08:26 AM
*walks in thread... reads thread... thinks, "I have anxiety issues.... why the FUCK did I read this?".... mutters rude things at KC*

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 5 users Like Logisch's post
22-12-2013, 08:43 AM
So I gather the ash is a bigger problem than the lava?
We're at a technological point where we could just dig a canal up to the volcano and drain the lava to a safe place.
Even before eruption. Find out where it is, dig up there, use explosives to create an opening and let it pour out controlled.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
22-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Makes me want to move as close as I can to that place - if I'm fucked, I don't wanna know about it until it's 2 seconds before my death, thank you very much.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
22-12-2013, 10:00 AM
(22-12-2013 08:54 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Makes me want to move as close as I can to that place - if I'm fucked, I don't wanna know about it until it's 2 seconds before my death, thank you very much.

Yabut, ain't nowhere safe from rocks from sky. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user