Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry
I believe that being patient with religious people, and taking the time to explain why we are not religious, and having a friendly debate on a topic like religion is the best way to get them to understand where atheists are coming from, and why we feel the way we do.

On the other hand, we also have the right to get angry with religious people as well. These people need to understand:

We have the right to get angry when you constantly spout your beliefs, yet expect us to keep our mouths shut, because you feel that you deserve a free pass.

We have the right to get angry when you try to make laws that allow you to push your religious beliefs on us.

We have the right to get angry when you accuse us of having no morals because we do not share your beliefs.

We have the right to get angry when you try to impose your beliefs on the education of our children because you feel that what you were indoctrinated to believe in has the same credibility as science, and therefore is equally valid.

We have the right to get angry because you get to accuse us of being "just angry people because you don't have God in your life". This is like saying that African Americans are "just angry people" because they get angry when racists treat them as though they are inferior.

Funny how Christians will accuse atheists of being angry people, yet if they were being forced to have Muslim beliefs shoved down their throats they'd be screaming bloody murder. Atheists shouldn't have to feel like assholes just because they speak their minds and won't give religious people the free pass that they feel that they deserve.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-06-2014, 11:49 AM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry
Yup. I agree.

Can we get so angry that we can burn embassies?

I'm looking forward to that level of equality.

Wink

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
22-06-2014, 12:09 PM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry
Well said!
I was getting a little pissed just reading those points.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
22-06-2014, 12:16 PM
(22-06-2014 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yup. I agree.

Can we get so angry that we can burn embassies?

I'm looking forward to that level of equality.

Wink

I'm already there. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-06-2014, 01:28 PM
I hear you, man.
[Image: atheistbash.jpg]
Been a lotta issues for a long time. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
22-06-2014, 01:40 PM
(22-06-2014 01:28 PM)kim Wrote:  I hear you, man.
[Image: atheistbash.jpg]
Been a lotta issues for a long time. Shy

[Image: oppression-comic.jpeg]

[+] 6 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Its not just the religious who get angry when their beliefs are challenged.

Its believers of all bullshits great and small. Them conspiracy theorists get mighty defensive when you ask serious skeptical questions.

If their claims had any credibility they'd simply give you an answer, but they don't, they scream and shout, and call you a communist.

Damn fuckin' right comrade...

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
22-06-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2014 02:20 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(22-06-2014 01:50 PM)Sam Wrote:  Its not just the religious who get angry when their beliefs are challenged.

Its believers of all bullshits great and small. Them conspiracy theorists get mighty defensive when you ask serious skeptical questions.

If their claims had any credibility they'd simply give you an answer, but they don't, they scream and shout, and call you a communist.

Damn fuckin' right comrade...

Yes, it is certainly not just religious people who get angry when their beliefs get challenged. The difference is that our society allows the religious people a free pass.

Nobody would say to some guy that was attacked for his opinions for not agreeing with some conspiracy theory "You shouldn't have given an angry response back when he attacked you and insulted you like that! Stop being a dick!"

Make it a situation where an atheist responds to a Christian by saying "You need to stop trying to force your religious beliefs down my throat, and quit trying to make me look like a bad person just because I don't follow your religious garbage!" Then all of a sudden the atheist is the asshole, and everyone is telling the atheist "Hey! You need to keep your opinions to yourself! Quit being such an asshole!"

[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
22-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Jeremy Walker is One example of theists provoking our wrath. The asshole never stop shitting our place.Censored
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
22-06-2014, 02:37 PM
(22-06-2014 02:26 PM)Leo Wrote:  Jeremy Walker is One example of theists provoking our wrath. The asshole never stop shitting our place.Censored

Yeah, and the difference is that we allow him to stay on our forum instead of acting like Christians when we go on their forums and get kicked off immediately. We don't get kicked off for behaving like Jeremy - we get kicked off just for the suggestion of questioning religion. Not only are atheists far more tolerant on our forums than religious people are on theirs - we have no fear at all with allowing the religious to be members here. Religious people are scared shitless of having us on their forums though.

[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post