Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2014, 02:45 PM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry
(22-06-2014 02:37 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 02:26 PM)Leo Wrote:  Jeremy Walker is One example of theists provoking our wrath. The asshole never stop shitting our place.Censored

Yeah, and the difference is that we allow him to stay on our forum instead of acting like Christians when we go on their forums and get kicked off immediately. We don't get kicked off for behaving like Jeremy - we get kicked off just for the suggestion of questioning religion. Not only are atheists far more tolerant on our forums than religious people are on theirs - we have no fear at all with allowing the religious to be members here. Religious people are scared shitless of having us on their forums though.

We like having the religious people here. Gives us something to pick apart. Plus they know their argument is not a rational one and does not stand up to intense scrutiny.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
22-06-2014, 04:25 PM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To Get Angry
I'm not patient with theists, they are lunatics as far as I'm concerned and I have no respect for them or their absurd beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post
22-06-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2014 04:49 PM by kim.)
(22-06-2014 02:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  We like having the religious people here. Gives us something to pick apart. Plus they know their argument is not a rational one and does not stand up to intense scrutiny.

It's more than that; a great many atheists here may not be "out" in real life.

Some may need to become comfortable with theist interaction as an atheist, within a forum setting before they can confidently do so in real life. It also may be good preparation for some to see the variety of arguments brought forth and get to know the many different kinds of theists there are.

I think it's always good to encounter an individual as an individual rather than as a "representative" of the group to which he or she might belong.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
22-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient With Theists, But We Also Have The Right To G...
[Image: 6a4a7equ.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 7 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
22-06-2014, 04:55 PM
(22-06-2014 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-06-2014 02:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  We like having the religious people here. Gives us something to pick apart. Plus they know their argument is not a rational one and does not stand up to intense scrutiny.

Some may need to become comfortable with theist interaction as an atheist, within a forum setting before they can confidently do so in real life. It also may be good preparation for some to see the variety of arguments brought forth and get to know the many different kinds of theists there are.

I think it's always good to encounter an individual as an individual rather than as a "representative" of the group to which he or she might belong.

Good points. I think that this forum also helps a lot with allowing a place for people to vent. I'm sure a large number of us live in countries where atheism is looked on as evil and religion gets special treatment. I know in the U.S. we certainly have that "Keep that shit to yourself!" attitude to deal with all the time while the religious get to spout their crap and shit all over us as much as they please. All this crap of constantly biting our tongues builds up a lot of stress. It's nice to come here and have people that understand your frustrations.

I'll have patience with considerate theists and fence-sitters, and the last thing I want to do is send a fence-sitter back over to the religious side by making myself look like the stereotype of the "angry, intolerant atheist" that the religious love to stamp us with.

Zealots, on the other hand, I have no patience for. I will tell them exactly what I think of them and their religious crap they spout at me and tell them exactly where they can shove it.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-06-2014, 05:25 PM
(22-06-2014 04:55 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Zealots, on the other hand, I have no patience for. I will tell them exactly what I think of them and their religious crap they spout at me and tell them exactly where they can shove it.

I know exactly where you're coming from - some people can be relentless! Dodgy

I think this is a good place to to learn to ascertain the difference between the everyday theist (who simply believes and lives & lets live) and the intolerant, fanatical, religious extremist. Confused Unfortunately, one often finds the line between the two, to be somewhat permeable.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
22-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Theists think they have some entitlement that makes them immune to criticism.
What they do not seem to understand is that we are entitled to criticize anything we see fit, and they exercise this without impunity to others and expect others to keep silent while they do as they please.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
22-06-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient
(22-06-2014 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  

Kim, you nailed it - for me anyway! Hug

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
22-06-2014, 07:46 PM
RE: Yes, Atheists Should Be Patient
I struggle with this almost daily.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a very calm person, and never go looking for a fight. I also believe the saying, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar", is very true, most of the time.

Joining here and on AF, I've learned that sometimes it's good to vent, and speak your mind, without worrying how the other person perceives you. But, my natural way of being, is to talk things out calmly. However, when it comes to religion, that is not always an option. Laugh out load

The OP was absolutely perfect. Well said WindyCity! Thumbsup

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like CindysRain's post
23-06-2014, 08:17 AM
(22-06-2014 11:18 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Funny how Christians will accuse atheists of being angry people, yet if they were being forced to have Muslim beliefs shoved down their throats they'd be screaming bloody murder.

Hell, they'll scream bloody murder for far less than that. They get pissed that Muslims get anything at all in the states. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things I've heard Christians freak out about regarding Islam:
  • A mosque (along with other types of temples) being put in a multicultural center at Ground Zero.
  • A community of Muslims that wants to have the option to have Sharia Law when settling civil disputes (so long as both parties agree). You know, kind of like when two Christians opt to go to a pastor or elder to settle a dispute instead of going straight to court. One can simply opt out if they want.
  • Any news coverage that doesn't portray them as terrorists or otherwise violent (cuz the libruls love Muslims and hate Christians).
  • Any potential connection between Obama and Islam.
No, I'd hate to see what they did if they were actually subjected to Muslims proselyting door to door and actually getting a chance to shape our laws. Maybe a good anti-pork and anti-alcohol ban put into the state constitution to go along with the anti-gay marriage laws.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post