Yes, I'm an angry atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Yes, I'm an angry atheist.
(18-12-2014 04:24 PM)nerwin Wrote:  For some reason a lot of people associate anger with atheism, like we are always angry at something, well you know what..I am angry when JW's knock on my door at 8AM asking if heard of Jesus and trying to convince me my house was built by God (not sure what they were smoking) but yeah, that does piss me off. I don't go to their house asking them if they heard of the flying spaghetti monster and telling them their house was built by hard working people.

Has JW's ever pissed you off?

Okay, I feel better..just needed to rant a little.

In my neck of the wood we get Mormon missionaries. Once upon a time my Dad was a missionary, and a bunch of my cousins are missionaries. If they aren't there for a specific roommate of mine, I will chat and be polite. If I have extra food, I let them have some. I don't let them do my chores (yes, they have offered).

On the note of being angry... why do people get angry? I'm not talking about triggers, I'm talking biology. We *evolved* anger as a survival mechanism... survival doesn't seem particularly self-destructive to me.

There are three responses to danger (or perceived danger, religion can be in neither, either or both categories, depending on the situation). "Freeze" is the deer-in-headlights reaction where the danger hopefully passes you by without noticing. Fear or "Flight" is the reaction of removing oneself from danger. and Anger or "Fight" is the impulse to eliminate the threat, temporarily or permanently.

If you are reacting with anger that just means you perceive religion as a danger that should be eliminated so you don't have to worry about it. You just want it gone... Particularly at :censored:am.

There is a further consideration though. Eating is required for survival, it is good for you, but obesity is unhealthy. Anger is the same. Just keep it to productive levels and you'll be fine. Anorexia isn't good for you either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MPythonGirl's post
21-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Your avatar pic........

Are you also on meth?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
21-12-2014, 10:53 PM
(21-12-2014 08:55 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Your avatar pic........

Are you also on meth?

What?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
23-12-2014, 10:54 AM
(18-12-2014 04:24 PM)nerwin Wrote:  Has JW's ever pissed you off?

22 acres in the woods, 900 foot of driveway up the side of a mountain with electric gate, signs, cameras and driveway alarm. Problem solved. Even god can't get up here!
28-12-2014, 10:26 PM
JW's....are the worst. Good people for the most part. I just invite them in for a beer and some satan worship. Wink

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
29-12-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not angry about much. The only thing I get angry about -- more like anxious about -- is if I express my opinion about Christianity, evolution, science, etc. with my coworkers, when they talk about such stuff, I might make some enemies and lose my job and a lot of my friends at work. Where I live, the First Amendment only applies to the people they like.

My parents also think I believe in "something," and since I live with them right now, I feel like I have to pretend. The first time I was an atheist, they were very upset about it, so this time around, I am keeping mum. The Internet is my only outlet for my beliefs, at least for now.
29-12-2014, 07:08 PM
(29-12-2014 03:23 PM)Pretty Skeptical Wrote:  I'm not angry about much. The only thing I get angry about -- more like anxious about -- is if I express my opinion about Christianity, evolution, science, etc. with my coworkers, when they talk about such stuff, I might make some enemies and lose my job and a lot of my friends at work. Where I live, the First Amendment only applies to the people they like.

My parents also think I believe in "something," and since I live with them right now, I feel like I have to pretend. The first time I was an atheist, they were very upset about it, so this time around, I am keeping mum. The Internet is my only outlet for my beliefs, at least for now.

To be fair, I believe in a lot of things... it's just none are supernatural. Most people believe in Nouns after all. Whether you want to redefine the common phrase "higher power" into "natural laws of the universe" is none of their business. Though it can be weird and awkward.

I actually wouldn't mind knowing what people's "how to avoid religious conversations" advice is. My current is, "I would rather not talk about religion at work" and just do so consistently until they stop. Any more Tips from the forum?
29-12-2014, 10:41 PM
(21-12-2014 08:49 PM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  There is a further consideration though. Eating is required for survival, it is good for you, but obesity is unhealthy. Anger is the same. Just keep it to productive levels and you'll be fine. Anorexia isn't good for you either.

Nah, anger is counterproductive and self-destructive at all dosages.

#sigh
30-12-2014, 07:32 AM
(29-12-2014 10:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 08:49 PM)MPythonGirl Wrote:  There is a further consideration though. Eating is required for survival, it is good for you, but obesity is unhealthy. Anger is the same. Just keep it to productive levels and you'll be fine. Anorexia isn't good for you either.

Nah, anger is counterproductive and self-destructive at all dosages.

Anger can be motivating and, properly channeled, can lead people to take constructive actions. It is easy to be swamped by it though.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post