Yes a God, no afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Yes a God, no afterlife
This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years. Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws. I have also come to believe that there is no afterlife.

I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

I have one major rule to all who wish to post - Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

More later.

Richard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 09:01 AM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years. Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws. I have also come to believe that there is no afterlife.

I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

I have one major rule to all who wish to post - Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

More later.

Richard

> What evidence do have for such a god existing? What are this god's attributes?
26-05-2017, 09:02 AM
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

How exactly does one "grow as an individual" in an echo chamber?

Quote:I have one major rule to all who wish to post

And we have another - people post wherever they want and whatever they want.

Quote:Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

Neither will be telling people what they can and cannot say.

Also, I suggest you look up the word "irony"

Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 15 users Like Vera's post
26-05-2017, 09:02 AM
I'm curious to hear you extrapolate on these theories. What specific evidence or research causes you to conclude there is a creator god but not an afterlife? For example does this god exist outside of space and time and the material universe? If so, what's to say we can't join up with this deity in some fashion after we die?

Also how "sure" would you say you are about these beliefs?
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
26-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Laugh out load Dictating the rules of engagement. How much are you paying in rent, here?
[+] 12 users Like Fireball's post
26-05-2017, 09:17 AM
What have you been reading to come up with this idea? Any physical evidence of a god?

Genuine questions, not criticisms.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
26-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Even if such a god exists, if there is no afterlife, why should we care?
That's like saying a giant teapot created the universe (just as valid, I might add).
So what?

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
26-05-2017, 09:33 AM
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years. Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws. I have also come to believe that there is no afterlife.

Through my reading and studying I have come to the conclusion that there's no reason to believe that a god exists or that there is any sort of afterlife.

What evidence supports the existence of a god?

Quote:I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

Consider

Quote:I have one major rule to all who wish to post - Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

Laugh out load

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
26-05-2017, 09:35 AM
In fairness, I think the idea of a creator is not a totally invalid one, although you'd have to draw the lines to at what point their personal touch was involved.

I think Futurama did an episode on this once, where Professor Farnsworth creates a completely robotic world, that then self evolves. How the robots perceived time, was different to that of the professor, thus giving the impression he created them millions of years ago, when it was infact only a few days (to him at least). The aim of the episode was point out there are more than one way to create something, as at the beginning Farnsworth looses his rag with a creationist, yet ultimately becomes "god" himself to another random robot world.

The leads to the idea of "what if" a creator is involved, but litterally was only there to ignite the big bang (to some degree), with all other evolution/planet forming/natural law creating happening naturally. Obviously to us that seems a bonkers idea, although I would say I'm more open to that than "THE LAWD ALMIGHTY, Who hath created the heavens and the earth, and personally/manually created everything".

Then again, I don't believe that to be true, as we'd need evidence (in my example: a giant floating body of an alien who accidentally created the universe, and blew himself up in the process....potentially destroying HIS/HER/SCHLEE's universe in the process also) , which we don't clearly have.

I'm very interested to see what the OP has been studying and how that relates to there being a god/creator of some description.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
26-05-2017, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 09:41 AM by sea_tiger.)
Just curious.
Is it possible that laws governing the universe existed prior to god? [I am not thinking of an omnipotent being but a being sufficiently powerful to create universe]