Yes a God, no afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 10:26 PM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
(28-05-2017 06:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 04:34 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Speak for yourself. I'm not going anywhere, I want to exist. I won't let God or anyone else take that away from me.

Tell me why a soggy sack of proteins like yourself should carry on forever.

Aren't we more than that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2017, 01:17 AM
(28-05-2017 10:26 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 06:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Tell me why a soggy sack of proteins like yourself should carry on forever.

At bottom, life is a group of molecules, undergoing chemical reactions, and the group as a whole satisfies specific criteria such as reproduction, etc.

Asking if we are 'more' than a soggy sack of proteins implies that there would be something it would mean to be more than any other soggy sack of proteins. Are we more than the worm just by virtue of, say, the fact that we are conscious? I think you're implying a value judgement, that being a soggy sack of proteins isn't valuable, whereas being us, whatever that means, is valuable. The human running from a lion may despair at not having wings when it reaches the edge of a cliff. What is valuable depends upon what we are asking the organism to do. It's dependent upon satisfying some purpose or aim. If you feel that the purpose or aim of our existing entails that, say, our consciousness is valuable to that end, then yes we are something more. If there is no purpose or aim to our existing, then it would seem that whether we are "something more" is entirely subjective and thereby arbitrary. It would then be neither true nor false that we are something more, and up to each individual to decide for themselves.
[+] 2 users Like big green mouth's post
29-05-2017, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 04:25 AM by adey67.)
(28-05-2017 10:26 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(28-05-2017 06:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Tell me why a soggy sack of proteins like yourself should carry on forever.

I don't think we are Angra, The evidence that our essence is in our brains and not some life force / soul is pretty overwhelming, otherwise personality cognitive ability and memory wouldn't be affected following brain injury and we know for certain that they are. Our brain function ends at death so consequently does our memory personality and everything else.

The way to cope/handle this is to truly live life before death also increased age frequently tempers fear of death. Also for you and I as sufferers of depression we need to be aware that obsession with death and thalanatophobia can be symptoms of the condition which will generally abate with proper treatment.

Philosophically speaking where there are gaps in our knowledge there is a 0% chance of something not being possible this doesn't however mean that its necessarily plausible and as philosophy is basically semantics with only limited if any practical applications its a moot point anyways.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
29-05-2017, 06:38 AM
Something that may be helpful for you Angra is the video on YouTube by Seth (the founder of this site) called afterlife, pull up his YouTube page and play that video I think it might help you.
29-05-2017, 08:04 AM
(27-05-2017 04:34 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Speak for yourself. I'm not going anywhere, I want to exist. I won't let God or anyone else take that away from me.

Oh you'll be going somewhere all right. As soon as Mom's realizes that you've been here before many many many tiresome tedious boring times before.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-05-2017, 08:06 AM
(27-05-2017 05:28 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Lol, yeah you're trolling alright, probably a 14 year old troll in mummys basement relieving the boredom in between stroking your micro penis. Have fun wanking off in the afterlife douchbag Laugh out load

Nah, just the same old tedious asshole donning a new visage. At least it's gotten more clever with its usernames.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-05-2017, 08:10 AM
(27-05-2017 05:07 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You are more powerful than your god?
We are our own God, silly.

29-05-2017, 08:48 AM
(29-05-2017 08:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Oh you'll be going somewhere all right. As soon as Mom's realizes that you've been here before many many many tiresome tedious boring times before.
Who are they ? Not Haywood surely?
29-05-2017, 10:05 AM
(29-05-2017 08:48 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 08:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Oh you'll be going somewhere all right. As soon as Mom's realizes that you've been here before many many many tiresome tedious boring times before.
Who are they ? Not Haywood surely?

BlowMe's troll ethic is too strong to ever diminish their character and reputation by coming back under different names.

29-05-2017, 10:18 AM
(29-05-2017 10:05 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 08:48 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Who are they ? Not Haywood surely?

BlowMe's troll ethic is too strong to ever diminish their character and reputation by coming back under different names.

So who do you think the guy is ? I feel kinda silly now because since he said he's depressed I've tried to give him another chance, just in case but if he's a definite troll I kinda wanna know.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post