Yes a God, no afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
(26-05-2017 09:37 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  Just curious.
Is it possible that laws governing the universe existed prior to god? [I am not thinking of an omnipotent being but a being sufficiently powerful to create universe]

Theoretically, "maybe".

I suppose the idea of being a "god" in the first place is that you've created literally everything. If the laws of the universe already exist, then the universe would already exist and a "creator" at that point is essentially just a random sentient life form the chose to create life on earth.

Again another possibility, but you'd need something to back it up.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
26-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Sounds as if you're describing deism*, rather than theism**.

You're in good company. Thomas Jefferson was a deist. Albert Einstein was (arguably) a deist. So was Mark Twain.

Deism is actually very close to atheism in the sense that there's no divine superintelligence that is interested in human affairs. Where deism and atheism part is the notion of this divine superintelligence that started everything to begin with.

Regardless, deism is unfalsifiable, therefore it's a poor explanation for, well, anything.

* belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe.

** belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.
[+] 6 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
26-05-2017, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 02:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
We already know this. God's name is "Bob".

Gods which "exist" are embedded (of necessity) in Reality, in which they *must* participate, only partially.
The notion is incoherent.
Where did Reality come from ? The gods answer none of the important questions.
How can a god *do* something, if time does not exist ?
What were the criteria you used to come to your conclusion ?
Define your "god" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 10:02 AM
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

I'm curious why you thought you could find a community involving a God concept at an atheist forum.

Huh
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post
26-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Well, your "thoughts" are wroooooong Tongue. Sorry I don't deal well with people or magical deities telling me what I can and can't do. Wink

If there's no afterlife, where does God live? I'm upset that he doesn't have a cloud mansion. Sad
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
26-05-2017, 10:20 AM
I claim the universe was formed by all the natural forces that formed it (which I call God).
Oh yea, and there is no afterlife.
That should cover it. Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
26-05-2017, 10:26 AM
I personally believe in my own Deity, as well know and love, Dr McNuggetFingers who came from the McNuggets realm to give us the gift of his almighty soul...Chicken nuggets.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
26-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Why the scare quotes around thoughts?

Also, an informational note, since you're new: you have no control over this thread and can't delete it if people don't respond the way you want them to. Telling TTA members how you want them to respond is a good way to make the thread go instantly in a more mocking direction. Asking's okay; ordering is considered bad manners.

You assert some first cause and structuring mechanism and call it god. I don't think that this rises to the definition that humans usually provide concerning gods--gods tend to be more interactive/manipulable--so perhaps you can expand on your god concept. I'm especially interested in why you'd think any atheist should care about a wind-up-and-walk-away god.

I already have an invisible dragon in my garage who refuses to interact with my universe--don't think there's room enough in there for a deity, too. (Even with the patio furniture out of storage.)
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
26-05-2017, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 10:44 AM by jennybee.)
(26-05-2017 10:26 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I personally believe in my own Deity, as well know and love, Dr McNuggetFingers who came from the McNuggets realm to give us the gift of his almighty soul...Chicken nuggets.

I believe in the Almighty Cupcake. His cake-y body and chocolaty goodness were given up for you. He was eaten for your sins Drooling
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
26-05-2017, 10:40 AM
(26-05-2017 10:29 AM)julep Wrote:  I already have an invisible dragon in my garage who refuses to interact with my universe--don't think there's room enough in there for a deity, too. (Even with the patio furniture out of storage.)

The vet bills must be outrageous!

I've been thinking about getting my own invisible dragon. How often do you have to change the litter? Is there a kennel I can keep it when we go away for weekends?
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post