Yes a God, no afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
What's a god?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
26-05-2017, 02:18 PM
(26-05-2017 11:38 AM)Richard Wrote:  ... I researched the beginning of the Universe and the theories developed by physicists ...

I very much doubt you have the learning to form a viable opinion, especially an opinion at odds with the conclusions found by intelligent practiced scientists. We all make this mistake: we sit in our armchairs and see some expert go against the grain of what we perceive as common sense and immediately declare the expert the idiot. But the idiot is in almost every case the one sitting in the armchair, not the scientist. The scientists knows a lot more about what they're studying than we know.

In any case your opinion is the same one that has been paraded in this forum for years and presents no new perspective, so isn't worth rebutting for the billionth time. Come up with a fresh perspective - backed by observation and some thought - and presented with a brief of your own qualifications to even have an opinion in the subject, and then discussion might prove fruitful. Up to now, however, it's been all splash and no depth.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
26-05-2017, 02:45 PM
(26-05-2017 11:38 AM)Richard Wrote:  The theories seemed to all try to avoid the issue of the Universe being created by a God.

You don't understand how science works, or what science is.
There is no way to test creation by a god.

Quote:Even more interesting has been that physicists have determined that the Universe is very VERY fine tuned.

They have not. Post 3 references to Physics text books that say that.

Quote:So fine tuned that the Universe to have come into existence solely by chance was extremely improbable. That probability has been calculated to be 10 to the minus 100 power and less.

References required.
Very highly improbable single events happen all the time.
You made that shit up, and you not only don't understand science, you also lie about Probability.

Quote:Okay, I will stop for now. I hope that has whet your appetite for some discussion. I can tell it already has.

Richard

It doesn't. You're nothing but a dishonest religious nut case.
You're right on time though.
TTA is on the Nut-Of-The-Week plan.
We get a discount for the crazies like you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 03:32 PM
(26-05-2017 02:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're nothing but a dishonest religious nut case.

I really should start with the assumption that such people are just liars. That would save time and effort.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
26-05-2017, 03:48 PM
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years.

What are your qualifications for conducting this research? Where have you published your findings? There is a difference between research and browsing AiG's webpages.

Quote:Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws.

Creation is an act requiring both space and time, both of which are features of the universe. Congratulations on defining a contradiction. Perhaps you would like to try again?

Quote:I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

Did you happen to notice the name of this forum? Do you expect many atheists to have similar "thoughts"?

Quote:I have one major rule to all who wish to post

Who died and made you Mod?

Quote:Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted.

I'm talking to an adult with an imaginary friend and I can't tell him he's wrong? I foresee hilarious irony.

Quote:I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

You'd be well advised to leave off telling people what they can and cannot say then.

(26-05-2017 11:38 AM)Richard Wrote:  During my studies of the Universe I researched the beginning of the Universe and the theories developed by physicists. The theories seemed to all try to avoid the issue of the Universe being created by a God.

That would be because science doesn't take a stance on faith. Faith would be wise to return the favor but faith and wisdom aren't on speaking terms.

Quote:Even more interesting has been that physicists have determined that the Universe is very VERY fine tuned.

No, they haven't, despite claims of Christian apologists to the contrary.

Quote:So fine tuned that the Universe to have come into existence solely by chance was extremely improbable. That probability has been calculated to be 10 to the minus 100 power and less.

And that untruth is how you know that it was spouted by a Christian apologist. A scientist would have given you the accurate but unsatisfying answer. We don't now enough about the universe to even guess at whether or not it could have been different nor what those differences might mean.

Nice try though.
10/10 for literacy. Nice not to have to decypher Borg's posts.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Richard was just trolling us.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
26-05-2017, 04:01 PM
(26-05-2017 02:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Very highly improbable single events happen all the time.

For $3.33 (hemi-Satanic pocket change) you can produce events with probabilities less than 1 in 10^100. That's assuming you can't be bothered to flip the same penny 333 times.

100/log10(2) = 332.2
0.5^333 = 1 in 1.75 * 10^100

That's what your argument's worth.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Richard, may I call you Dick?

Like so many of the deists/theists who came before you, it's clear whatever "research" skills you possess, they lack critical thinking. To arrive at the conclusion you have with nothing to back it up means you are suffering from cognitive dissonance. While I appreciate the fact that you've tried and you've realized there's likely no afterlife, to be gnostic about such things is laughable at best.

And to tell us how to comment on your post isn't going to fly. This is a forum, look it up.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-05-2017, 04:31 PM
(26-05-2017 04:01 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  For $3.33 (hemi-Satanic pocket change) you can produce events with probabilities less than 1 in 10^100. That's assuming you can't be bothered to flip the same penny 333 times.

"I'm the essence of a man spinning double-headed coins, and betting against himself in private atonement for an unremembered past."

What were we talking about again? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-05-2017, 04:46 PM
(26-05-2017 04:31 PM)Vera Wrote:  What were we talking about again? Consider

The care and feeding of garage dragons

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post