What's there to discuss, it's all here Rolleyes

[Image: 1a8016539c65b708045c8a8fb4885ee4.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-05-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years. Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws...

You are of course welcome to your beliefs, but you should know that a 10 tonne truckload of "beliefs" does not equate to evidence.

Quote:I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

Sorry, but it's not your prerogative to "welcome all" who share your thoughts. This is an open, public forum wherein anybody is free to post.

Quote:I have one major rule to all who wish to post - Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

Again, you cannot apply any "rules" regarding who can or can't post here. This sort of arrogance and presumption—particularly for a newbie—is the sort of approach that's guaranteed to stifle responses to your comments. It's also not up to you to decide what comments are "accepted". Only forum mods/admin have that right.

Quote:More later.

Don't bother. I'd rather read the back of my cereal box. Sad

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-05-2017, 05:27 PM
(26-05-2017 08:59 AM)Richard Wrote:  This will be very brief at this time - I have been researching about the Universe and life on planet Earth for several years. Through my reading and studying I have come to believe there is a God who created the Universe and all the natural laws. I have also come to believe that there is no afterlife.

I welcome all who have similar "thoughts" as I do. Together in our discussions we can grow as individuals and as a community.

I have one major rule to all who wish to post - Posts of "I am right and you are wrong" will not be accepted. I look at this thread to be one of DISCUSSION.

More later.

Richard

There is nothing in this "theory" that is falsifiable, it's not worth the effort to consider. The burden of proof is upon you to provide falsifiable, repeatable evidence for such assertions.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
26-05-2017, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 11:38 PM by Robvalue.)
Also, it's important to note that the sceptic doesn't simply say "you're wrong", as in "your claim is false". That would be just as unsupported.

The sceptic merely says that your claim hasn't (probably cannot, due to unfalsifiability) met its burden of proof as noted, and as such shouldn't yet be believed to be true.

If God means anything more than "the thing that created our reality", then it needs defining properly. And if that's all it means, it's entirely redundant in the claim.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
27-05-2017, 05:26 AM
(26-05-2017 03:58 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Richard was just trolling us.

> I'm beginning to arrive at the same conclusion. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
27-05-2017, 05:34 AM
Hey that's more than our quota. You bloody nutjobs need to respect the rules. One a week.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-05-2017, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 08:02 AM by GirlyMan.)
(26-05-2017 11:38 AM)Richard Wrote:  Even more interesting has been that physicists have determined that the Universe is very VERY fine tuned. So fine tuned that the Universe to have come into existence solely by chance was extremely improbable. That probability has been calculated to be 10 to the minus 100 power and less.

You don't understand the difference between some thing having to be some way and something which may have been another way. There were no opportunities for choices to be made for the universe to be one way or the other, it has to be this way or we wouldn't be talking about it. You confuse necessary with optional. I'm not sure how else to help you with that other than to point out that you don't understand how predictable deterministic processes work.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-05-2017, 01:35 PM
The idea of God and the idea of an afterlife go hand in hand. Surely if there is a God, there must also be an afterlife? Consider
27-05-2017, 02:20 PM
(27-05-2017 01:35 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  The idea of God and the idea of an afterlife go hand in hand. Surely if there is a God, there must also be an afterlife? Consider

That does not follow. I see no reason why it would not be possible to believe in either one without the other. I just see no reason to believe in either one.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
27-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Why would God create something, only to have it fade from existence? That makes absolutely no sense.