Yes a God, no afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2017, 05:42 PM
RE: Yes a God, no afterlife
(27-05-2017 04:34 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I'm not going anywhere, I want to exist.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
27-05-2017, 06:01 PM
(27-05-2017 01:35 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  The idea of God and the idea of an afterlife go hand in hand. Surely if there is a God, there must also be an afterlife?

Oh WOW! Yet another of the numerous theist non sequiturs.

I thank you for the laugh. No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
27-05-2017, 07:05 PM
(27-05-2017 05:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 04:34 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I'm not going anywhere, I want to exist.

> Is that from the film Spice World?
27-05-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm tired of this thread, I'd rather hear more about the care and feeding of garage dragons especially the invisible ones. Unfortunately I don't have a garage so I have to rely on second hand accounts. This is one of the very few times I will willingly accept anecdotal evidence.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
27-05-2017, 08:04 PM
(27-05-2017 07:05 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 05:42 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

> Is that from the film Spice World?

Couldn't say as I have no idea what that is... and I think I'm glad I don't. The only spice world I know of is Arrakis

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-05-2017, 08:31 PM
(27-05-2017 05:04 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 04:55 PM)adey67 Wrote:  How the fuck would you know either? Yes I would rather be annihilated than have eternal life and I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions, that they happen to align with others is coincidental, if you're going to troll please get better at it at least try to be humorous while doing it or something, anything really because you suck at it.

I'm not trolling you fucking moron. You idiots seem to have a fetish for trolling. You wish I was just trolling, so you wouldn't have to think about anything I'm saying. But then, you don't really think of anything on your own. You're just like most other people, a stupid sheep. I'll always be better than you, unless of course you choose to stop being a prick and own up to your individuality. I'm not holding my breath.

What you are saying we have already thought about. We have dismissed it as there is no evidence. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2017, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2017 04:14 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(27-05-2017 02:20 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(27-05-2017 01:35 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  The idea of God and the idea of an afterlife go hand in hand. Surely if there is a God, there must also be an afterlife? Consider

That does not follow. I see no reason why it would not be possible to believe in either one without the other. I just see no reason to believe in either one.

I had a close friend who was so worried about living beyond life that he spent a fair portion of his free time trying to figure out how it might be possible. Last I heard (some years ago now), he no longer believed in any god but did believe in reincarnation, so he counts as one of the few spiritualistic atheists I know of.

As for me, it makes no sense that "mortal man" should really be immortal. We know we die. We don't know we live beyond death, and the evidence for the brain-dependence of consciousness is against it.

To me, immortality makes sense only for a god, and a god makes no sense.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
28-05-2017, 06:54 PM
(27-05-2017 04:34 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Speak for yourself. I'm not going anywhere, I want to exist. I won't let God or anyone else take that away from me.

Good for you. You want to keep existing. What's Plan A? If you really, really believe in a god that doesn't exist the maggots will still feast on your eyeballs.

A quick look around the universe shows us that everything comes to an end. Mountains fall, stars die, and in time even the black holes will evaporate. Tell me why a soggy sack of proteins like yourself should carry on forever.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-05-2017, 08:52 PM
(27-05-2017 01:35 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  The idea of God and the idea of an afterlife go hand in hand. Surely if there is a God, there must also be an afterlife?

Nope. The Hebrews who wrote the Bible didn't believe in one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-05-2017, 09:09 PM
(28-05-2017 06:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  a soggy sack of proteins

I do try to compensate for the sogginess with extra-dry wit, though Smartass

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post