Yessss!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2011, 06:50 AM
RE: Yessss!!!
First clutch ended up being 7 perfect eggs, and got 5 more from another girl this morning.

One more girl to go, and she's the biggest. Hoping for 8 or 9 from her.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 07:19 AM

(08-06-2011 06:50 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  First clutch ended up being 7 perfect eggs, and got 5 more from another girl this morning.

One more girl to go, and she's the biggest. Hoping for 8 or 9 from her.
So once the egg's are delivered, how long does it take for the snake babies to work their way out?

Do you breed them for your own personal snake posse' ? Tongue Sell them to private collectors or zoo's?
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Hey Stark, post pictures...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
^
|
I second that motion! Pics, or no awwws.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Deal! I'll try to take some pics tomorrow. (I only take them out of the incubator once a day, to give them fresh air. Any more than that and they loose too much humidity)

14-06-2011, 10:52 PM
(06-06-2011 11:20 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 08:15 AM)The_observer Wrote:  Are the snakes the flavor panel of you feeding-rat business?
(Hey, any successful enterpreneur has to take the quality of his product serious)

They most definitely eat my rats (and love em!) but the snakes are actually what brought me to the rat breeding business in the first place. I've bred ball pythons for quite a while now, and chose to breed my own feeders about four years ago so I could have a top quality product for my snakes. Whenever I had surplus rats I'd sell them to my friends that also have snakes and I quckly discovered that my rats were a higher quality than any other rats available since I was constantly being asked if I had extras. Hence my going into business as a rat breeder full time.

So how do you determine what rats get to breed and which rats become food? Is it natural selection or artificial selection? or a combination of both?

I'm looking forward to those pictures!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
14-06-2011, 11:30 PM
We select our breeders very carefully. The fastest growing, healthiest females are held back to raise for breeding. We try to hold back twice as many as we need, then after two breedings, the best moms (good instincts/least weight loss/biggest litters/best personalities since they'll be handled a lot) are kept for permanent breeders. We also take into account genetic diversity. We get our males from other breeders to keep the gene pool fresh and to avoid in-breeding. One male can breed 15 females, so it's better to go to an outside source for the males.

The pics are coming soon. I was going to take some today, but the camera battery was dead.

16-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Better late than never, right?

[Image: eggs2011002.jpg]
[Image: eggs2011001.jpg]
[Image: eggs2011003.jpg]

Some big eggs in that clutch of seven! All are looking healthy, and due to hatch around the end of July. One more clutch on the way in around four weeks.

16-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Cool...
I never guessed they would be so irregular shaped. Looks like they have a soft outer-shell. When do they hatch?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, as I recall from biology reptilian and bird eggs are very different. It's funny how clutches of white irregular shapes can be so cute. Thanks for the pics.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!