Yesterday I accepted a job at New York Life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Yesterday I accepted a job at New York Life.
So after getting fired from the school that Jeremy and I worked at I got fired from the dealership I started at. Long story but I got fired and after correcting the misunderstanding the sales manager told me "Even if you are right I never change my mind when I fire someone". Thanks a fucking lot asshole. So I've been installing floors with my cousin for the last month. It's a pain in the ass but it's paying the bills if I get 60 hours/week. I started looking for other job opportunities right away because I knew I didn't want to get stuck installing floors for a living. I checked out a few car dealerships but nothing stuck. A couple weeks ago I got a call from a manager at New York Life. I wound up going on 3 interviews, completing a 10 year background check, and credit and criminal checks. Yesterday I got a call and as it turns out, I got the job. I'm pretty psyched about it. The guy interviews over 100 people per year and last year only hired 4. Feels good to be in the top 4%. Big Grin So now I'm one of those sleezy insurance salesmen. Thumbsup I'm nervous because I know it's going to be difficult but the income potential is too great. I am taking an online course to get a Life Health P&C license and also will get a Series 6/7 license so I can handle life, death, annuities, mutual funds, etc.

So that's what has been going on in my life. I'm still here. Just too busy to post much.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like germanyt's post
29-07-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: Yesterday I accepted a job at New York Life.
*sleazy Wink Gotta spell things on your resume correctly Tongue

Well done Smile
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Hope it works out well for you. And, no, I don't need insurance.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-07-2012, 02:42 PM
"license so I can handle life, death"

I think I can handle death. I have never had much of a handle on life, though. But I didn't know one had to have a license to cope with life and death in the US.

Well done for finding a job in a harsh climate. I hope you enjoy it.

29-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Cool for you GT! Kinda wondered if things were going alright... but suspected that no news might be good news.

Be diligent; I know once you find your groove you won't feel so nervous and you'll learn a lot.
Break a leg, man. Thumbsup

I think that last remark is appropriate, considering your new profession. Tongue

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Dude, you're like a cat. You always land on your feet.

Last year I had a bad experience with two NY Life agents who I still partially blame for triggering major anxiety that I'm still recovering from a year later.

I'm sure you'll be much more upstanding than they were. Smile

Congrats on the job. If you really dedicate your life to this, you can make bank. And having sold cars, I doubt you'll have too tough a time making the transition. Good luck!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-07-2012, 05:55 PM
(29-07-2012 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  So after getting fired from the school that Jeremy and I worked at I got fired from the dealership I started at. Long story but I got fired and after correcting the misunderstanding the sales manager told me "Even if you are right I never change my mind when I fire someone". Thanks a fucking lot asshole. So I've been installing floors with my cousin for the last month. It's a pain in the ass but it's paying the bills if I get 60 hours/week. I started looking for other job opportunities right away because I knew I didn't want to get stuck installing floors for a living. I checked out a few car dealerships but nothing stuck. A couple weeks ago I got a call from a manager at New York Life. I wound up going on 3 interviews, completing a 10 year background check, and credit and criminal checks. Yesterday I got a call and as it turns out, I got the job. I'm pretty psyched about it. The guy interviews over 100 people per year and last year only hired 4. Feels good to be in the top 4%. Big Grin So now I'm one of those sleezy insurance salesmen. Thumbsup I'm nervous because I know it's going to be difficult but the income potential is too great. I am taking an online course to get a Life Health P&C license and also will get a Series 6/7 license so I can handle life, death, annuities, mutual funds, etc.

So that's what has been going on in my life. I'm still here. Just too busy to post much.

Congrats!
Some really decent people are in insurance sales, like a couple of my cousins (Sun Life). My New York Life agent was a great guy, never steered me wrong.

It's all about personal relationships. That's number one.

Good luck.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Congrats dude, I hope you blend in real well and find a place that you enjoy being. Not too mention I hope you get lots of money, because money.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I hate money. You can have it. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-07-2012, 08:53 PM
(29-07-2012 08:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I hate money. You can have it. Thumbsup
I'm all open for donations.Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post