Yesterday's TTA Podcast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Yesterday's TTA Podcast
Did it bum the shit out of anyone else?? I've got some other stuff going on in my life right now, so it may be that yesterday's show was just a catalyst - but after listening to about half of it at work this morning, I'm really down and out at the moment. Just curious if anyone else experienced the same thing...

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2012, 09:47 AM
RE: Yesterday's TTA Podcast
Not to be a jerk or anything but for future podcast related posts you may want to actually mention the title of the podcast somewhere within the thread or in the thread title just so it doesn't vanish over time.

Also I haven't actually listened to yesterdays podcast as of yet. Titled "I have no topic"
Before I do, maybe let me know what it was that bummed you out so much?
If it's a downer I might just avoid for now.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-02-2012, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 12:20 PM by impr0vise.)
(23-02-2012 09:47 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Not to be a jerk or anything but for future podcast related posts you may want to actually mention the title of the podcast somewhere within the thread or in the thread title just so it doesn't vanish over time.

Also I haven't actually listened to yesterdays podcast as of yet. Titled "I have no topic"
Before I do, maybe let me know what it was that bummed you out so much?
If it's a downer I might just avoid for now.

Good call. I'm too used to the reddit.com format where a post is only a topic of conversation for a few hours. Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding the podcast: It stared out with a caller named 'Steve', who is evidently a favorite among listeners. Turns out he's a clinical nurse and he started talking about how terrible it is to observe death by disease. He gave a lot of details that were uncomfortable to listen to and can be summed up as this: It's a pretty fucking frightening thing to witness.

On to the next caller who was talking about being involved in some sort of study of documented post-death experiences from people who've come back from clinical death.

Next caller was asking about the ethics of spreading the atheist message to the thousands of kids in hospitals who, because of this disease or that, don't have much of a life left to live.

The next guy was asking Seth if has a fear of 'being wrong' and, if so, how does he deal with it. This one bothers me since I'm still at the start of my de-conversion journey. Naturally, being indoctrinated with Christianity since childhood, it's a thought that I toy with time and again - and it's always uncomfortable when I do.

That's when I just stopped listening.

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
23-02-2012, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 12:30 PM by craniumonempty.)
This was kind of why I suggested a specific topic forum only on the shows...

(23-02-2012 11:57 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  [...]
Next caller was asking about the ethics of spreading the atheist message to the thousands of kids in hospitals who, because of kids in children's hospitals, who because of this disease or that, don't have much life left to live.

This one irked me, because when you are in a hospital taking care of sick or if you are helping someone in any setting, if religion isn't an issue, then there shouldn't be any discussion. Don't try to convert someone that is in a bad situation. If someone is in a severe emotional crisis and they have a strong religious background, I have no problems with finding them religious help without sacrificing any of my morals. If I'm the only one to help them at the time, then I tell the truth if they ask, but I'm certainly not there to convince or convert them in any way and will usually try to be as secular as possible in those situations. Yeah, some people insult me by saying what a good "Christian" I was, but they don't even know it, because even though God may not have come up, there was no indication either that I didn't believe. Even if there was, if they are in a hard state, then I can take a little. In other situations, then I'd let them know that that is insulting as human values aren't exclusive to religions.

Either way, he should ask his sister what she would do with a Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist. Would she try to convert them to "make things better for them"? That's underhanded and cold if she would. That's where atheists make better caregivers.. well, secularists. Because there are plenty of Theists that don't let that shit get in the way either. If he's going to try to convert people that he's taking care of, then he shouldn't go into care-giving.

(23-02-2012 11:57 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  [...]
The next guy was asking Seth if has a fear of 'being wrong' and, if so, how does he deal with it. This one bothers me since I'm still at the start of my de-conversion journey. Naturally, being indoctrinated with Christianity since childhood, it's a thought that I toy with time and again - and it's always uncomfortable when I do.

That's when I just stopped listening.

As far as being wrong, there is no way around it. You are. We all are. Theists, atheists, scientists, laymen.. If you think you are completely correct in anything, then you aren't being honest with yourself.

The biggest issue I got out of it though was fear of dishonoring the relatives before him and their culture. The way I see it, people (well, my parents and grandparents) believe in their god because they know it as the truth. I was taught truth was most important... well, and that God was most important. They didn't see it as two separate things. As an atheist, they are very separate. I was either going to lie and be a Christian, or be truthful as an atheist. Lying eats me inside and emotionally hurts, and I did for a long time. Finally, I came to grips with myself (and later my family) and dropped the facade which hurt relations and family, but in the end worked out for the better. While truth is always better, you have to weigh your situations at times. If you are in a country that will kill you for belief, then I would seriously consider another strategy then coming out and telling people. If you are in a western culture, then you should still weigh the consequences, but also remember that there are others besides yourself that you can help by outwardly being truthful. That's for another story though....

Either way, to me telling the truth was honoring my grandparents. If they honestly thought through and found that religion was complete bunk, what would they have done? I think my grandparents and parents would want the ability to come out and say it if they didn't believe. So when does the cycle stop? Does everyone feign love for a deity they don't believe in to keep their family happy or does someone tell the truth and say the emperor is buck naked running in the streets?

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
[+] 5 users Like craniumonempty's post
24-02-2012, 06:22 AM
(23-02-2012 11:57 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  The next guy was asking Seth if has a fear of 'being wrong' and, if so, how does he deal with it. This one bothers me since I'm still at the start of my de-conversion journey. Naturally, being indoctrinated with Christianity since childhood, it's a thought that I toy with time and again - and it's always uncomfortable when I do.

This is Pascal's wager at work.
"What if you're wrong about belief in god" ? - the Christian God mind you of course.

The idea is that there is no harm in believing but if you don't you'll burn in hell.
This is nonsensical as one could make the same argument about any god and it only pertains to the religion one was indoctrinated in. Even if you are a faithful Christian , you are so for one denomination and one god.
So if ANYONE else is right you burn in hell.
It's like choosing a number on roulette and there are thousands more - better to not play since you have no proof to win is even possible.

Also , there is a harm in believing things without evidence. Although the feel good , community aspect of religion is a harmless placebo most times with moderate believers , religions carry a baggage of bronze age ideology that has certainly no place in the modern world.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
24-02-2012, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 06:57 AM by craniumonempty.)
(24-02-2012 06:22 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
(23-02-2012 11:57 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  The next guy was asking Seth if has a fear of 'being wrong' and, if so, how does he deal with it. This one bothers me since I'm still at the start of my de-conversion journey. Naturally, being indoctrinated with Christianity since childhood, it's a thought that I toy with time and again - and it's always uncomfortable when I do.

This is Pascal's wager at work.
"What if you're wrong about belief in god" ? - the Christian God mind you of course.

The idea is that there is no harm in believing but if you don't you'll burn in hell.
This is nonsensical as one could make the same argument about any god and it only pertains to the religion one was indoctrinated in. Even if you are a faithful Christian , you are so for one denomination and one god.
So if ANYONE else is right you burn in hell.
It's like choosing a number on roulette and there are thousands more - better to not play since you have no proof to win is even possible.

Also , there is a harm in believing things without evidence. Although the feel good , community aspect of religion is a harmless placebo most times with moderate believers , religions carry a baggage of bronze age ideology that has certainly no place in the modern world.
crap... was there someone with pascal's wager... wow, I really do miss a lot. I~ll have to listen again.

EDIT: yep, there it is at about 1:11:46 ( http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinking...e-no-topic )...

I guess my take on it is the same I had with Teachers in my school. If something is incorrect in the book they have and it's so obvious that a kid can see it and go out of their way to get a professional in that field to confirm it, yet you'll still fail them if they don't listen to you, then fine, fail me. Well, it wasn't about failing, but if that would have been a threat, I never had a problem failing over sometng that I thought was correct. I failed a lot because I didn't like doing homework, so maybe I'm biased.

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
24-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Those F's show conviction and honesty Cranium. I also often failed due to the absurdity of the system that was grading me. It's just an attempt to put idealists in their place before they look for a job. There's a reason most innovators are dropouts.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.